Chan Gailey resigns as OC of Dolphins

YoloinOhio

I don’t want to completely change our offense. Would rather have Dorsey continue it. I remember all Rex — the defensive guru — had to do was to copy Schwartz’s defense. It was already a top 5 defense. Instead, he tore it down to do things “his way” and it quickly became one of the worst in the NFL. We need to be careful what we wish for. 

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, I don't

I like Chan Gailey from an innovative standpoint and have often wondered how a Gailey Offense would perform when the misfits were replaced with elite play from the QB and WR positions. I also think Fitzpatrick may have a bright future coaching in the NFL. So while the likelihood of this happening If Daboll is hired as a HC elsewhere are probably slim to none. Promoting from within has never seemed to work well for Buffalo. Watching the Browns O operate under Alex Van Pelt makes me cringe at some of the alternatives.

The thought of losing Daboll is very depressing...

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3WwDXXdzDN6TntPdy-yB

I think Gaileys decision may have have had allot to do with how the Dolphins chose to handle the QB position this season IMO.

Gailey loves him some Fitzy...

( loved me some Get Smart back in the day)

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, peterpan said:

Id happily welcome him back if daboll leaves. 

Same goes for Anthony lynn.

Both are good OCs and would likely be here for a long time without a HC opportunity presented to them. 

Anthony Lynn has never been an offensive coordinator. Not in the true sense. He has never designed or installed an offense. He has never created a scheme. He likely will get the chance to somewhere in 2021 but I'd rather that were not Buffalo, as much respect as I have for him as a guy.

He was a playcaller here and did a really nice job. But it was Greg Roman's offense.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

When Chan was here he loved the spread offense. 4-5 wide.  That works well for us so I disagree.  Plus Chan was the last hc to have a great screen game here.

Chan basically built a less talented version of what we have now. An oline that pass blocked better than it run blocked, a Quarterback effective out of the spread, a #1 receiver who just had a knack at creating separation... there was a lot about Chan's spread that isn't dissimilar. The problem with Chan in Buffalo was never his offensive scheme. It was his Head Coaching. He failed to find a coordinator or an identity on defense and I don't think he ever bothered with trying to change the culture. Chan was at his happiest with Xs and Os. The most important job of a Head Coach however is to lead, not design plays. 

• Like (+1) 3

GB, well said, although a lot went in at the line of scrimmage.  It’s understandable as he just didn’t have the talent around him nor the management and scouting invested to build a solid program.  We have all of that now.  

Gailey had an aptitude for getting the most out of his offensive talent.  I don’t see him ending up here, and he is 69.  He may just want to call it.  I’m sure he’s made more than enough $.

• Like (+1) 1

So I guess this was after the GM said that Tua was their guy?

Some Fins fans are delusional in thinking there was a different playbook for Tua.

Chan called the same plays for Fitz and Tua.

The difference is Tua checked down if the primary wasn't Alabama open.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

GB, well said, although a lot went in at the line of scrimmage.  It’s understandable as he just didn’t have the talent around him nor the management and scouting invested to build a solid program.  We have all of that now.  

Gailey had an aptitude for getting the most out of his offensive talent.  I don’t see him ending up here, and he is 69.  He may just want to call it.  I’m sure he’s made more than enough $.

He has retired more times than George Foreman at this stage. He "retired" after getting canned by the Bills. Then again after the Jets let him go. Maybe this one sticks. I don't see a team likely to hire him to be honest.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Some Fins fans are delusional in thinking there was a different playbook for Tua.

Completely. The Dolphins don't have great separation guys. Williams and Parker are both decent receivers but neither are elite route runners or elite speed guys. They are contested catch types. Think the play Williams made over the top of Tre in week 2 when White had perfect coverage and he still came down with it. Williams has missed the second half of the season injured anyway and Parker has been a bit banged up but even at their best they are not great separators. Gesicki similar at the tight end spot. They are all guys where I think you just put it up and say "go make a play." And at the moment Tua is lacking to confidence to do that whereas Fitz has never seen a 50/50 throw he doesn't like. So you have to get guys who will separate for him while you being along that confidence. It might click. I think of QBs like Flacco and Tannehill who were similar coming into the league and learned to trust their guys as they went. It might not. But if they are riding with Tua they need to put pieces in place to help him succeed. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

And there might be a reason why Tua checked down - 3 picks vs Buffalo on Sunday when he knew he had to try to push the ball downfield.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

No, this was after he was fired the day before but then was later asked to resign. The playbook was different and there are facts to back it up. Chan only called an aggressively when Fitz was in earlier in the season or if Miami was down big. Otherwise it's screen, screen, short pass for Tua, especially if the game was close. Chan even admits to calling differently lol. This is why people who don't watch the games should save their opinions. Go and look at the Cardinals and Chiefs games (Tua's best performances), notice how Miami rarely if ever went back to style of playcalling--spread four/five wide. Now, they don't have the best weapons so maybe that wasn't sustainable but to totally abandon what was working then only to go back to it when the team is down...

From the horse's mouth

"The situation of the game has a lot to do with it. If you end up getting behind and needing to get down the field and to score points quickly, that has a lot to do with it. We’ve been a team that has tried to be 9, 10, 11, 12 play drives, run the football, play-action pass, control the time on the clock. That’s the situation that we found with Tua in the ballgame. Plus you’re missing some receivers from time to time and that has something to do with it. A lot of that goes into decision-making about how the game is being called and what kind of plays we run."

In other words, if the game is within reach we're going to try to control the clock with Tua.

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And there might be a reason why Tua checked down - 3 picks vs Buffalo on Sunday when he knew he had to try to push the ball downfield.

1. Short pass in which the receiver fell down

2. Short pass over the middle thrown behind the receiver

3. Miscommunication but still a bad throw

Totally makes sense why he checked down.

On 1/6/2021 at 9:57 AM, GunnerBill said:

I said last night I think his scheme is not a great fit for Tua. On the face of it I think it was... Tua in the spread... it made sense. But he clearly doesn't want to throw to guys that aren't open and the spready requires the receivers to beat their guy to cause that separation which is not the kinda players the Dolphins have. I think get him in a more conventional west coast scheme. Timing throws, use his short range accuracy, scheme some open throws, develop a run game and use more play action. New scheme, a playmaker who separates and interior Oline help. That is my 3 point plan if I am Chris Grier and I really believe what I said yesterday. 

Someone who makes sense. Miami's interior was decent, the inexperience at the tackle positions was the issue. Hopefully Miami targets someone like Joe Lombardi or Mike LeFleur. I unfortunately think they go the in-house route and TE coach George Godsey will take over.

23 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

No, this was after he was fired the day before but then was later asked to resign.

Where is the evidence Chan was "fired the day before"?  If he was actually fired, he could have $$ coming to him which would not be due if he resigned.

My understanding is it was a fake account that reported the firing.

1 hour ago, DolFAN93 said:

Someone who makes sense. Miami's interior was decent, the inexperience at the tackle positions was the issue. Hopefully Miami targets someone like Joe Lombardi or Mike LeFleur. I unfortunately think they go the in-house route and TE coach George Godsey will take over.

I think center needs upgrading. I'd move Karras to guard and try and upgrade centre. Get rid of Flowers he sucks. You are right inexperience at tackle hurts. I do think Jackson (who was always a bit of a project you were going to have to be patient with) came on down the stretch. 

Mike LaFleur makes sense, certainly. I'd actually go for the other co-OC in San Fran though in Mike McDaniel. I think he is a really smart mind and I think either of them would be interested in a genuine OC role with playcalling responsibility rather than the quasi co-OC role with no play calling responsibility. 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Chan basically built a less talented version of what we have now. An oline that pass blocked better than it run blocked, a Quarterback effective out of the spread, a #1 receiver who just had a knack at creating separation... there was a lot about Chan's spread that isn't dissimilar. The problem with Chan in Buffalo was never his offensive scheme. It was his Head Coaching. He failed to find a coordinator or an identity on defense and I don't think he ever bothered with trying to change the culture. Chan was at his happiest with Xs and Os. The most important job of a Head Coach however is to lead, not design plays. 

I agree.  Thats why I was saying he wouldnt be so terrible as an OC here.  Im not saying we should go get him if Daboll leaves.  Just that I wouldnt be all that disappointed if we did.

1 hour ago, DolFAN93 said:

No, this was after he was fired the day before but then was later asked to resign. The playbook was different and there are facts to back it up. Chan only called an aggressively when Fitz was in earlier in the season or if Miami was down big. Otherwise it's screen, screen, short pass for Tua, especially if the game was close. Chan even admits to calling differently lol. This is why people who don't watch the games should save their opinions. Go and look at the Cardinals and Chiefs games (Tua's best performances), notice how Miami rarely if ever went back to style of playcalling--spread four/five wide. Now, they don't have the best weapons so maybe that wasn't sustainable but to totally abandon what was working then only to go back to it when the team is down...

From the horse's mouth

"The situation of the game has a lot to do with it. If you end up getting behind and needing to get down the field and to score points quickly, that has a lot to do with it. We’ve been a team that has tried to be 9, 10, 11, 12 play drives, run the football, play-action pass, control the time on the clock. That’s the situation that we found with Tua in the ballgame. Plus you’re missing some receivers from time to time and that has something to do with it. A lot of that goes into decision-making about how the game is being called and what kind of plays we run."

In other words, if the game is within reach we're going to try to control the clock with Tua.

1. Short pass in which the receiver fell down

2. Short pass over the middle thrown behind the receiver

3. Miscommunication but still a bad throw

Totally makes sense why he checked down.

You should understand that coaches have a feel for what their players can do.  Tua doesnt have a lot of experience yet.  Asking him to read defenses and be aggressive leads to mistakes.  Mistakes cost games.  Your team won a lot of football games do to creating mistakes on other teams offenses.  While it may seem to you like a bad thing that they had a different offense when Tua was in... in reality it was probably in the best interest in Tua.  Fitz is a very smart seasoned QB.  He could handle the full playbook.

They did the same for Josh here.  When we were up we werent aggressive either that last couple years until this year.  It's good QB development IMO.  Chan is actually a pretty good OC.  Bad head coach but good OC.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I agree.  Thats why I was saying he wouldnt be so terrible as an OC here.  Im not saying we should go get him if Daboll leaves.  Just that I wouldnt be all that disappointed if we did.

I'd be disappointed because I think if Daboll goes we have one of the most attractive OC jobs out there. I'd hope we could do better than a 69 year old whose offense is pretty exposed. To me either promote from within or find a creative young offensive mind from outside.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I'd be disappointed because I think if Daboll goes we have one of the most attractive OC jobs out there. I'd hope we could do better than a 69 year old whose offense is pretty exposed. To me either promote from within or find a creative young offensive mind from outside.

Well I would hope so too, but I wouldn't be claiming doom and gloom is all I am saying.  It's unlikely we ever have Chan back here.  It's almost equally unlikely we ever have Fitz back here either.

8 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

😂

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Would you want to risk changing the scheme though after the year Allen has had? That’s got to be one of the main motivators behind hiring from within if the goal is to keep the offensive philosophy the same right? 

The vacancy will obviously be really attractive to a lot of quality coaches. Say Daboll is the only coach from offense to leave, who are you going with for his replacement and what’s the plan there?

20 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Would you want to risk changing the scheme though after the year Allen has had? That’s got to be one of the main motivators behind hiring from within if the goal is to keep the offensive philosophy the same right? 

The vacancy will obviously be really attractive to a lot of quality coaches. Say Daboll is the only coach from offense to leave, who are you going with for his replacement and what’s the plan there?

No I'd promote from within. Either Ken Dorsey or possibly Chad Hall.

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Dorsey seems like the obvious choice. Hall might be a bit too inexperienced as a coach to already run an offense.

You know who had only been a fully fledged position coach for two years before becoming a coordinator? Sean McDermott. 

I think Chad is the outsider of the pair but everything I hear is they love him in that building and rate him very highly. He is going to be an OC somewhere sooner rather than later and teams can no longer block requests to interview position coaches for coordinator jobs that rule change passed last year. So the question might be do we promoted Dorsey and risk losing Chad altogether in a year's time to an OC job somewhere else or do we just promote Chad and accept he might have some growing pains early? 

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You know who had only been a fully fledged position coach for two years before becoming a coordinator? Sean McDermott. 

I think Chad is the outsider of the pair but everything I hear is they love him in that building and rate him very highly. He is going to be an OC somewhere sooner rather than later and teams can no longer block requests to interview position coaches for coordinator jobs that rule change passed last year. So the question might be do we promoted Dorsey and risk losing Chad altogether in a year's time to an OC job somewhere else or do we just promote Chad and accept he might have some growing pains early? 

Dorsey, and I suppose Chad as well, could be one and done as an OC here if Allen continues to play at an MVP level.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where is the evidence Chan was "fired the day before"?  If he was actually fired, he could have $$ coming to him which would not be due if he resigned.

My understanding is it was a fake account that reported the firing.

How dare you question DolFAN93 just because he smells fishy?

Obviously he has first hand knowledge of the initial post about firing and was forced to take it down.

How many here think he was told to resign? you know aka fired? lol

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

If Daboll leaves, I hope Chan comes back to Buffalo. I doubt it though. I think he's retired for good this time.

sarcasm? Troll? or for real you want Chan back cause his offense was vanilla