Full list of Roster Moves. Bills signing 2 (Nelson, Thomas) to PS and Releasing 3 (Harrell, Pitts, Lacey) from PS.

MAJBobby

posted in the Brown thread a couple links on Nelson. Think speedy slot guy that also returns (likely call up week 17 for slot and Returning duties, sitting Robert’s, Beasley). Will put some links in Duke Thomas in a second. 

Duke Thomas info:

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/4/26/11512362/duke-thomas-2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report-texas-longhorns

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/2/23/11085228/exclusive-interview-with-nfl-prospect-university-of-texas-cb-duke

the JJ Nelson Links:

For those wondering about Stills. Not going to hear about him for a couple more Days, Sunday - he finishes the COVID Protocols and then can come into the building. So most likely Monday at the earliest we will hear about his signing (if happening). 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

• MAJBobby changed the title to Full list of Roster Moves. Bills signing 2 (Nelson, Thomas) to PS and Releasing 2 (Pitts, Lacey) from PS.
5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

posted in the Brown thread a couple links on Nelson. Think speedy slot guy that also returns (likely call up week 17 for slot and Returning duties, sitting Robert’s, Beasley). Will put some links in Duke Thomas in a second. 

Duke Thomas info:

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/4/26/11512362/duke-thomas-2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report-texas-longhorns

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/2/23/11085228/exclusive-interview-with-nfl-prospect-university-of-texas-cb-duke

the JJ Nelson Links:

2 guys added and 3 guys let go... does that mean we have an extra spot or was that just to free up a spot for one of the COVID/IR guys?

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

2 guys added and 3 guys let go... does that mean we have an extra spot or was that just to free up a spot for one of the COVID/IR guys?

Needed to release a Third to make room for Wade coming off the COVID list. Only can have 16+ Wade (exemption). 

Currently sitting with 17 on the PS. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• MAJBobby changed the title to Full list of Roster Moves. Bills signing 2 (Nelson, Thomas) to PS and Releasing 3 (Harrell, Pitts, Lacey) from PS.

Beane really going after speed now...

Nelson ran a 4.29 40 but has been out of football for 2 years...he had a few decent years with the Cards with 500-600 yards.

Stills runs a 4.38 40...wondering if Stills wanted too much and Bills settled for Nelson instead...

• Like (+1) 1

I think Nelson was brought in because he'll be able to help on the scout team, simulating Tyreek Hill's speed. No way they are imagining him actually making a gameday active list. We are in deep trouble if that is needed.

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, scribo said:

I think Nelson was brought in because he'll be able to help on the scout team, simulating Tyreek Hill's speed. No way they are imagining him actually making a gameday active list. We are in deep trouble if that is needed.

Deep trouble and the Bills do not belong in the same discussion. Sorry, but persistent gloom and doom is no longer acceptable when discussing this team.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, clayboy54 said:

Deep trouble and the Bills do not belong in the same discussion. Sorry, but persistent gloom and doom is no longer acceptable when discussing this team.

OK, I get it, be optimistic. I am! I cannot wait for the ring ceremony. My point is no one needs to read into anything about signing Nelson. He's not here to play in games. He is here to help those who will play in games. That's great that the Bills are in the position.

55 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Nelson ran a 4.29 40 but has been out of football for 2 years...he had a few decent years with the Cards with 500-600 yards.

Stills runs a 4.38 40...wondering if Stills wanted too much and Bills settled for Nelson instead...

Not quite out of football 2 years.  Played for Oakland last season, they cut him when they traded for Zay Jones with us. 

Signed by San Francisco this season, injured in training camp, IR'd and then released with an injury settlement.

I'm thinking he's kind of a Foster type, U of A guy who can't track the ball in the air and adjust - his catch % is kinda low, even when he had Palmer

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, scribo said:

I hadn't thought of that, but you've got a good point.  Not just Tyreek, but if we have to play the Ravens again.   Last year we had Rayray McCloud who is a 4.5 guy. 

This year I don't think we have anyone on our scout team who's anything close to that fast.  They might use McKenzie again as they did for scouting Murray (4.4) , but if Beas is limited or out, McKenzie might not be able to be spared for the scout team.

OK, this move makes more sense and I like it more now.  For the scout team, it doesn't matter if the guy actually catches the ball, he just has to run the route and give the DBs the practice choosing their angles for someone that fast.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm looking at these practice squad changes in light of the NFL's recent approval of unlimited practice squad elevations for the playoffs. I suspect this might change the complexion of the practices going forward to some extent. I really wonder how that decision by the NFL/NFLPA affected these roster moves, and what Beane's and McD's thinking is?

Edited by Rocky Landing

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not quite out of football 2 years.  Played for Oakland last season, they cut him when they traded for Zay Jones with us. 

Signed by San Francisco this season, injured in training camp, IR'd and then released with an injury settlement.

I'm thinking he's kind of a Foster type, U of A guy who can't track the ball in the air and adjust - his catch % is kinda low, even when he had Palmer

Roscoe Parrish type...to frail to take the NFL pounding.

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

it looks like he started doing what brown was doing in AZ. Sick speed. 

I remember  a time when a 300 lb player was viewed as enormous, and too big to do anything except kill the grass.  Now every team probably has 10-12 guys well above 300 lbs.  And a lot of them are pretty fast runners.

I remember a time when a 4.4 40 was killer speed.  Now there's someone faster than 4.3. 

How many players in the 60s could bench 225 fifteen times?  Now, most of the players in the league can do that.

I don't know if it's better conditioning, or better diets, or better training, or what, or maybe it's just the pro money is so good that athletes commit themselves to football at a young age and stay with it.  The level of athleticism, strength, speed, and agility in the game now is astounding.