Week 17: Dolphins at Bills - Squish the Fish playoff hopes and dreams

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Average Guinness Premiership salary is £120,000. The highest paid player at Wasps (where Wade played) is on £420,000 and Wade would not have been in that top bracket which is reserved for international regulars - Wade only played 6 tests for England. A reasonable guesstimate is between £250k and £300k a year. 

He likely took a pay cut to be on the practice squad in the NFL but not a huge one and his partner is American. Obviously if he ever makes an active roster it is a big pay rise.

He was not a star in Rugby. He was a good Premiership player and a great sevens player but not up to international XVs standard. If you want me to give you an NFL equivalent he was in Rugby about what John Brown is in the NFL. A good player, a playmaker, but not a star.

Thanks for the info. So at 275GBP he was making about $375k US vs. $143k now. 

My original point was responding to a comment that he was making more money now than he ever had, was incorrect. That is very likely true.  

But the lesson learned is don't quote any data on here without Googling it first! (Which sadly, I already knew to be the case...)

45 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wade's salary this year is $142,800.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/christian-wade-28987/

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know what Wade made as a professional rugby player.  @GunnerBill gave his somewhat educated thoughts a while back.

Practice squad players this year make $8,400/week for every week they are on the practice squad.  I'm not sure whether or not the bye week is paid.  If not, that's $134,400 per season.  If so, that's $142,800 per season.

Either way, it's more than $100k per season.

I should have googled it...thanks for the correction. I was going off old data in the cranium. At some point those practice squad guys were below 100k...maybe many years ago (I am not googling it!) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

"I wonder if the Antonio Williams call up means they aren't happy with Singletary or Moss and want to see what Williams can do. "

That’s straight up nuts. Both backs have been productive most of the year, and good blockers in the passing game when called upon. Playing out their roles exactly how the team appears to want them to. When they’ve struggled to run this season it’s been because d lineman are 2 yards deep in our backfield

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We elevated Becker.  Maybe we plan to see him a lot.

How many elevations from practice squad do we normally get?  Dane Jackson is our covid-call-up for Yeldon I assume.

Yes, Becker will see action.  Hey, why not see what he can do?  

I don’t know all the PS rules.  

28 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

"I wonder if the Antonio Williams call up means they aren't happy with Singletary or Moss and want to see what Williams can do. "

That’s straight up nuts. Both backs have been productive most of the year, and good blockers in the passing game when called upon. Playing out their roles exactly how the team appears to want them to. When they’ve struggled to run this season it’s been because d lineman are 2 yards deep in our backfield

I am not as high on our two backs as you. They have the burst of a wet balloon, but Williams is only being called up because they want to use a guy who won't be called on in the playoffs. They knew who Singletary and Moss were when they drafted them, the Bills are content with what they have there even if I am not.

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I can't keep all the scenarios straight, but if the Dolphins lose tomorrow, are they out of the playoffs? 

Only if the other teams (Browns, Ravens and Colts) win.

Edited by Doc

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I doubt this team will lose its edge after 1 week 

That’s my thought too. No one is ever worried about a team “getting rusty” during bye weeks. Why would they suddenly “get rusty” after the last game of the season?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not as high on our two backs as you. They have the burst of a wet balloon, but Williams is only being called up because they want to use a guy who won't be called on in the playoffs. They knew who Singletary and Moss were when they drafted them, the Bills are content with what they have there even if I am not.

That’s fair but all I am saying here is they give us all we need in this scheme which is built Around our qb spreading the ball around 35-40 times per game in most cases. They don’t hurt our cap a bit either and in the big picture that is going to be huge. They are both plenty productive

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I wonder if the Antonio Williams call up means they aren't happy with Singletary or Moss and want to see what Williams can do.

I think it means the game plan is to run the ball 45 times tomorrow. 25 times with a RB that won't be on the active playoff roster so Moss and Singletary are ready to go. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The Chefs' starters won't have played for 3 weeks when they play their first pre-season game.

They better be prepared. This could bite them with how they’ve been playing lately. Last year they were down 24-0 to the Texans until they woke up and came back.

• Like (+1) 1