Week 17: Dolphins at Bills - Squish the Fish playoff hopes and dreams

YoloinOhio

40 minutes ago, finn said:

I don't think setting records or league leads will factor at all in McDermott's decision. He'll make his decision based on football, not vanity or bragging rights. For this reason, you play the starters so Allen reestablishes his connection to Brown, and, ideally, build a lead for Barkley (who's going to need it; did you ever see his career stats?) so we have take the two seed if Pittsburgh wins. I see him playing the starters for a quarter then sitting them down. But I don't see him putting them back even if Cleveland wins. That sends the wrong signal, that we're ducking the Ravens. 

Joe Buscaglia has been predicting we see Fromm.  If we're going to see a QB other than Allen or Barkley, I'm thinking that all signs point to Davis Webb, actually.

1) Both McDermott and Daboll said praiseful things about him in their pressers.  McDermott said "he really works at his craft" (ie QB).  Daboll pointed out he's a former 3rd round pick and called him a "developmental QB" and practically gushed about him for several minutes.

2) He seemed unusually visible in the Bills practice photos this week

3) When asked if the Bills might make a change at quarantine QB, McDermott said they'd keep things the way they were

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm not either, but their defense is good.  And their team overall is still better than the Jets were.

Absolutely no question there.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Joe Buscaglia has been predicting we see Fromm.  If we're going to see a QB other than Allen or Barkley, I'm thinking that all signs point to Davis Webb, actually.

1) Both McDermott and Daboll said praiseful things about him in their pressers.  McDermott said "he really works at his craft" (ie QB).  Daboll pointed out he's a former 3rd round pick and called him a "developmental QB" and practically gushed about him for several minutes.

2) He seemed unusually visible in the Bills practice photos this week

3) When asked if the Bills might make a change at quarantine QB, McDermott said they'd keep things the way they were

Absolutely no question there.

If Josh doesn’t see a full game, I’m all about seeing Webb or Fromm. Barkley is mostly boring. Let’s get an unknown out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If Josh doesn’t see a full game, I’m all about seeing Webb or Fromm. Barkley is mostly boring. Let’s get an unknown out there. 

Webb coming in for Allen would totally throw the Dolphins off

no film from him and he’s a mobile QB who can run in what looks to be a wet cold game 

• Like (+1) 1

Go with Fromm.  Barkley likely won't be back (at least as a player, maybe as a coach) and Webb hasn't played a real game in the 4 years he's been in the NFL.  See if Fromm can be the backup next year or whether they need to address it over the off-season.  Or at least, have Webb and Fromm each play a half.

26 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

That is a preseason game approach. If Josh doesn't go full game they should get Barkley more reps in case Josh got hurt and missed a few series. If Josh got hurt and missed significant time in the playoffs it won't matter who is at QB. . But if he were to miss a series or two to get checked out they need Barkley to run a competent offense until Josh was able to come back in the game.

12 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

no film from him and he’s a mobile QB who can run in what looks to be a wet cold game 

If Webb came in maybe it could be a situation like the Steelers faced against the Bengals backup QB.

They had no answer for his running. Didn’t he only complete like seven passes that game?

2 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Yeah, I've been reading scouting reports on Webb.  Just in case my reading of the tea leaves is more correct than Joe B's "activate Fromm" prediction, here are some scouting reports from 2017 when Webb was drafted by the Giants:  https://www.nj.com/giants/2017/04/nfl_draft_2017_scouting_reports_on_cal_qb_davis_we.html

One thing I hadn't realized about Webb is that he's a Big Sucka, like Allen: 6'5", 225 lbs.  He didn't run in college, but one scouting comment is "enough mobility to scramble for the sticks" and if he's been playing scout team safety, he must be able to move.

2 hours ago, finn said:

I don't think setting records or league leads will factor at all in McDermott's decision. He'll make his decision based on football, not vanity or bragging rights. For this reason, you play the starters so Allen reestablishes his connection to Brown, and, ideally, build a lead for Barkley (who's going to need it; did you ever see his career stats?) so we have take the two seed if Pittsburgh wins. I see him playing the starters for a quarter then sitting them down. But I don't see him putting them back even if Cleveland wins. That sends the wrong signal, that we're ducking the Ravens. 

I disagree the coaches aren’t thinking of some of the records. Daboll clearly was trying to get a 14 different player catching a TD pass first quarter of Pats game...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I was hoping Kroft could play over half the snaps - with Gilliam out, Knox getting rest, and Smith blocking for the run.  

Smith is now a receiving TE. I mean 6% of his snaps were receptions.  That must be a career high. 

Just now, VaMilBill said:

Wasn’t Kroft already on the Covid list earlier this season? How did he test positive twice?

Close contact only didn't actually catch it before.

Just now, The Wiz said:

Smith is now a receiving TE. I mean 6% of his snaps were receptions.  That must be a career high. 

Do not underestimate ninja Smith.