Changed my mind - Bring back Milano and let Edmunds walk

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This defense is truly transformed with Milano playing.  I just rewatched the game.  He made multiple plays and good open field tackles.  Maybe it is this scheme. Maybe he is just that good.  Beane can't let him walk out the door.  In an ideal world the Bills and Milano would realize they are both good for each other and hammer out a reasonable deal.  Maybe with COVID and a static or falling cap number, there won't be too much money to throw at Milano by other teams.  If they can't find common ground then they should tag him.  Previously I said let Milano walk and use the tag for Williams at RT.  Now I say do whatever they can to keep him in Buffalo for another year.

Edmunds was terrible again.  He took bad angles again.  When he sheds a block someone let me know because it will be his first.  The runs up the gut were in part due to him guessing the wrong hole and just getting blown out of the play.  There is no way he played anywhere close to a ProBowl level this year.  Am I missing something?  Are you guys seeing something I am not?  He was moved to OLB for a handful of plays.  I get it 9 points, why mess with what's working.  But what happens when they play a competent offense that can run the ball?  

Guess it means nothing that he was picked to go to the pro bowl this year  The second ILB picked. 

(4) Master Moats Film Session: Ep. 33 (Buffalo Bills Tremaine Edmunds) - YouTube

Has he had his struggles? YES

Is he an damn good ILB In this league? YES

Will he get better? YES

Just wondering.. When the first players are picked for the pro bowl.. are they stupid? they don't no what they doing? This is a legit question I'm asking cause Many think Edmunds is a young amazing ILB with room for growth.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, thurst44 said:

Oh for crying out loud, he's the MLB and 22-year-old CAPTAIN of a defense on a 12-3 team who has dominated five straight games (and he held the same role on a team that was the #3 defense last year). They have allowed fewer than 260 yards the last three weeks. All players have bad plays (Aaron Donald looked silly a couple times in that game where he also had a few sacks against us), but if you've watched Edmunds and your takeaway is that he's a reclamation project or a bad player, then you probably don't know what you're talking about. Making the Pro Bowl this year was a stretch, but it was the players and coaches who sent him there. And say that nonsense to McDermott or Frazier and see what reaction your "expert" take gets. Or most football analysts.

Moreover, it's just sad that this team is rolling in all aspects of the game for the first time since the 1990s and some here's takeaway is how we need to get rid of a player who is a respected captain of the team. How miserable. And I will keep mentioning 22-years-old, because it's relevant whereas O'Leary's grandfather isn't and if you don't get that, maybe your take is a wee bit chilly and maybe you should enjoy this team's run and not try to dismantle it in your head b/c you think you know better. Frankly, I'm finding the "he has no instinvts" comments becoming a lazy meme, especially when I've seen him with my own eyes take over games and sniff out plays from sideline to sideline.

One other thing you need to remember is YOU DON'T KNOW what he's supposed to be doing or the game plan.

What does his age or captaincy have to do with with being a good football player or not? It's not even an argument.  Dwayne Haskins was a captain up until last week.

Do better.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Right, if he can't play, he can't play.

Thing is, he can. And does.

The Pro Bowl only authenticates the obvious. Yes, he wasn't very good earlier this season when he was injured and the whole defense wasn't working together. But he's obviously a great deal better now, as he was last year.

People want to see a skull-crusher at MLB, but that's not his game, nor is it what McDermott's main requirement of whoever plays that position in his defense.

And yeah, people say that Edmunds is young a lot. They also say look both ways before you cross and others, wear a mask for instance. A lot of times when people say stuff a lot, it's because it makes total and complete sense.

Pro Bowl voting is one of the most useless awards in all of sports. It means less than nothing. He doesn't need to be a "skull crusher", but he plays the game soft. People bashed on Poz for tackling guys several yards down the field, but that's best case scenario for Edmunds. He spends most of his day getting caught in the garbage at the line and taking bad angles to the ball carrier.

Maybe he's had one, but I can't think of a single noteworthy play he's had all year. 1 sack, 3 tfl, no int, no forced fumbles. If he meets your bar of a good football player, I think you have your sights set too low. If he played on the Jets, no one would be talking about him unless it had to so with how "he's only [insert age]" *doge face*.

For a pass oriented LB, give me Deion Jones any day.

• Like (+1) 1

We cannot pay both of them. Paying two linebackers 25-30 million total will kill us with the cap, especially with Allen’s deal coming soon. We need to pick one or the other soon, and I’d pick Milano. Edmunds looks lost out there and is allergic to good plays and tackling. I probably wouldn’t pick up his 5th year option, and I’d let him walk after next year. The young and athletic excuses need to stop, eventually we need some good play from him. The Pro Bowl argument is also ridiculous, the fact that he was selected this year shows it’s a joke.

Edited by MWK
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just want to clarify. I am not advocating Edmunds is released or even traded this off season. I would pick up his fifth year option and see how he plays the next two years before committing big dollars to him. He is still young and maybe he gets better, but he has not done enough to justify an extension yet. Bills have all the leverage.  I truly hope he is the long term answer at MLB. I doubt it but would love to be wrong. I still think if he is played like TJ Watt is used in Pittsburgh he would be a superstar.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/29/2020 at 1:19 AM, BuffaloRebound said:

Edmunds has zero playmaking ability or instincts. He’s a highly athletic robot out there.  Not sure you can teach him how to anticipate or make a play on the ball.  He should play lots of pickup hoops in the offseason. Not sure how else to teach a guy anticipation and ball skills.  

“Highly athletic robot”

I think that term describes Edmunds perfectly 👍

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/28/2020 at 10:10 PM, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Edmunds was terrible again?

What game were you watching?

Just because one player plays well statistically and the other doesn’t, means nothing. 

The goal should be to keep as much of the defense together as possible. Not get into the addition by subtraction nonsense. 

Edmunds has been terrible this year PERIOD!

On 12/29/2020 at 5:27 AM, Not at the table Karlos said:

Don’t remember what team it was against but a couple weeks ago Edmunds stuffed the RB for no gain or a loss on a critical play. When I remember what team it was against I can post a video. 

He does make plays here and there but not consistently. The same issues have been there since his rookie year. When looking for the run stuff I mentioned I saw a ton of plays where he came up just short of making a play because he took a poor angle, got washed out of play by a blocker or just made a terrible attempt at an open field tackle. 

Too inconsistent!  Misses a lot of tackles.  Milano is a better LB

On 12/29/2020 at 1:14 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

Has nothing to do with stats. I don't even know how many tackles he was credited with.  Don't care.  I watched the plays.  Go back and watch them too.  You will see what I see.  

Tremaine is a serious liability against strong running teams. I don't see how anyone can't see that. He cannot get off blocks and has no idea how to hand fight with an OL. For his size he cannot impose his will. Like to see him as a cover LB. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/30/2020 at 7:24 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

Just want to clarify. I am not advocating Edmunds is released or even traded this off season. I would pick up his fifth year option and see how he plays the next two years before committing big dollars to him. He is still young and maybe he gets better, but he has not done enough to justify an extension yet. Bills have all the leverage.  I truly hope he is the long term answer at MLB. I doubt it but would love to be wrong. I still think if he is played like TJ Watt is used in Pittsburgh he would be a superstar.

I agree........I think he needs to be lined up at the LOS and rushing the passer to reach his potential.     No reason for a guy that talented to not be producing big plays.  And the longer they wait the less time he has to develop.    The 5th year option is only guaranteed for injury so they probably have to pick it up regardless.   It would be a major slap in the face to not pick that up after they chose to make him a MLB and then all the smoke they've blown up his azz about how great he is.   Can't pay a player $15M+ per season to do a job at the same level that an AJ Klein can do though.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree........I think he needs to be lined up at the LOS and rushing the passer to reach his potential.     No reason for a guy that talented to not be producing big plays.  And the longer they wait the less time he has to develop.    The 5th year option is only guaranteed for injury so they probably have to pick it up regardless.   It would be a major slap in the face to not pick that up after they chose to make him a MLB and then all the smoke they've blown up his azz about how great he is.   Can't pay a player $15M+ per season to do a job at the same level that an AJ Klein can do though.

AJ Klein can't cover.  Which you already know.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/29/2020 at 3:35 PM, HappyDays said:

I think the discrepancy between fan takes on Edmunds and the league's take on Edmunds is because his negative plays are easily visible on broadcast footage and his positive plays aren't. Everyone sees him take a terrible angle on Cam's TD run. But we don't see the passing windows he takes away on a lot of downs. Edmunds is not a stat sheet MLB but he makes a difference on the field. I would prefer to have both Edmunds and Milano here but as others have mentioned Williams is the most important signing this offseason.

cover 1 did a nice job breaking down his excellent play in the Broncos game. 

most of his detractors don’t have a clue how this defense works, is supposed to work and what any one on the field is supposed to be Doing on any single play. they are stuck on the Ray Lewis or Butkus definition ofMLB and are clueless about run fits and zone schemes. 

As for 49... he’s the second leading tackler on the team, like it or not, voted as now a 2 time Probowler, excellent in zone coverage In the middle of the field and an excellent athlete showing blitz, dropping into zone, closing lanes, etc. and while he had some struggles after the first jets game with a bum shoulder, his recovery and recent play is one of the big reasons the defense has been trending so well the second half of the season.

he’s more critical to the defense and More while less splashy I’m sure is getting a new deal to continue leading the defense. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Crystal ball, I think they let Milano walk and do everything the can to draft Nick Bolton somewhere between 20-32. I think they use the money to re-sign Darryl Williams. 

To me, Milano should be kept, but Bolton is a perfect fit. I think it comes down to demand and cost for Milano.

On 12/29/2020 at 3:37 PM, PrimeTime101 said:

Guess it means nothing that he was picked to go to the pro bowl this year  The second ILB picked. 

(4) Master Moats Film Session: Ep. 33 (Buffalo Bills Tremaine Edmunds) - YouTube

Has he had his struggles? YES

Is he an damn good ILB In this league? YES

Will he get better? YES

Just wondering.. When the first players are picked for the pro bowl.. are they stupid? they don't no what they doing? This is a legit question I'm asking cause Many think Edmunds is a young amazing ILB with room for growth.

Nick Chubb is first team pro bowl with Derrick Henry as a reserve - despite Chubb having 700 fewer yards. It means the pro bowl is a BS measure. Tremaine is terrible against any sophisticated running attack. When the Pats first ran, he was abysmal. It was only after they had to pass it got better. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/30/2020 at 5:54 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

I think that is what will happen in the off season. 

Bills will negotiate a  contract extension in the off season for Allen in the ball park of Watson (if we lose in the divisional round) and more near Mahomes (if we win the SB).  

Bills will add the 5th year option for Edmunds so that they will have him for at least 2 more seaons. 

Bills will extend Milano, Feliciano and Williams.    They will figure it out to keep the core roster together.    They got quite a bit of change to come off the DL, TE positions.   

The only wrench in the work will be if Diggs requests a  new deal.   But since they did give him more up front money after the trade, I assume that will wait until 2022 season. 

This team will be significantly different in 2022 due to expiring contracts for senior players such as Hyde, Poyer, Morse,   Brown, Beasley, Jefferson,  Addison and needing to pay young guns such as Wallace, Ford, Singletary, Knox etc. 

Edited by ganesh