Changed my mind - Bring back Milano and let Edmunds walk

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Exaclty and if they pay Edmunds top 3 MLB money to line up the defense and drop into zone and make virtually no jmpact plays all year then they are crazy

Hopefully I am wrong and he fulfills his potential next year. Having a great MLB that is only 23 for another 4 or 5 years beyond 2021 would set them up for consistent success. 

Guess you miss the Defense letting up 16.5 ppg during the winning streak. Same winning streak that coincides with Edmunds getting healthy. 

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Guess you miss the Defense letting up 16.5 ppg during the winning streak. Same winning streak that coincides with Edmunds getting healthy. 

Also coincides with changing up the D to accommodate Klein's game and improvements in our 1 Tech play, along with Leslie finally reverting back to our attacking scheme. It was hardly a one guy turnaround. 

3 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Also coincides with changing up the D to accommodate Klein's game and improvements in our 1 Tech play, along with Leslie finally reverting back to our attacking scheme. It was hardly a one guy turnaround. 

Nope but that one guy getting healthy has been a big reason. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I don't disagree that Tremaine's far and away the best option we have in the middle. I think we disagree on how much value he brings for the money and cap hit he will take to resign. If he had Kuechly-like impact it would be a no-brainer. But so far he just hasn't. 

5 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I don't disagree that Tremaine's far and away the best option we have in the middle. I think we disagree on how much value he brings for the money and cap hit he will take to resign. If he had Kuechly-like impact it would be a no-brainer. But so far he just hasn't. 

But Edmunds doesn't cry on the field, so there's that.

13 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

This is an interesting discussion.  I'm not sure where I stand on it.  There's a reason that the players and coaches voted him to the Pro-Bowl, but I'm not completely sold on him either yet.  But he's still young and can get better, and there's two seasons left to do that on his rookie contract.  McD is really big on letting these guys develop warts and all.  Patience is the word here I think.

Just now, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

This is an interesting discussion.  I'm not sure where I stand on it.  There's a reason that the players and coaches voted him to the Pro-Bowl, but I'm not completely sold on him either yet.  But he's still young and can get better, and there's two seasons left to do that on his rookie contract.  McD is really big on letting these guys develop warts and all.  Patience is the word here I think.

That's a fair take. I think what is driving the discussion now is the Milano question. It seems to be shaping up as an either or decision between the two.

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

That's a fair take. I think what is driving the discussion now is the Milano question. It seems to be shaping up as an either or decision between the two.

I feel like Milano might re-sign at a little bit lesser rate like White just because he loves Buffalo and knows he's in the best possible situation for him scheme-wise etc.  That's my hope anyway. 

8 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

The lasting image of this game was that of Tremaine Edmunds getting pushed back by guard Joe Thuney for a 21-yard run by the Patriots. The game certainly wasn’t Edmunds’ best of the season because of that play and some others, but the linebacker continues to be a strength in the Bills’ zone coverage, even when he’s not making flashy pass breakups. The influence he had on a third-and-13 attempt shows how his subtle movements can help the Bills force offenses off the field.”

Weird... he’s not a great run defender which I think everyone agrees on... but that’s not where his value is derived and what his role is. Good thing the average NFL team passes the ball 60% of the time.

Find me another middle linebacker with his length that can fill his role on defense and then we can talk. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence the defense started playing better when Tremaine got healthy.

6B24CB9A-D6D2-48BA-B120-34CC864DD161.thumb.jpeg.bdd3dd63fedf480142bd04c1f4653d7b.jpeg

It’s not that hard to look at this image and understand what sets Edmunds apart and what they’re utilizing his skill set for.

I thought the lasting Edmunds image was a tired Cam Newton leaving Edmunds face down as he strolled into the end zone for the only offensive TD that the Patriots had scored in the last 3 games?

And yes thanks for the dream catcher.......he is easily the most physically gifted player on the defense..........and yet even his pass defense numbers have been terrible this year and Poyer, Milano, White, Hughes.......Klein even.........have had to make all of the game changing plays.

Edmunds is very gifted athlete.........and if this defense gives up 10 points or less this weekend they can match the NFL-leading-tackler-Preston-Brown-lead 2017 McDefense in points allowed(349 current vs. 359).    

Those were some big shoes to fill..........there is a little room in the toe yet maybe but not too shabby.:beer:

Letting Edmunds walk is about the silliest idea imaginable.  A 22 year old MLB who sets the defense every play and was asked to augment an undermanned DL while playing injured?  

The guy is a primary building block for the team along with Allen, Diggs, White and Dawkins.

I think his personality plays into this and I find it disappointing.  He is a quiet guy.  Big friggin deal.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I don't think they have the cap space to sign both.  Letting Trent Murphy walk opens up 9.775M in space but there are FAs like Feliciano that will eat that up.

At this point I tend to agree that the question is more about whether Milano can stay on the field.  If he can, I think you sign him.  Otherwise, I think you sign Edmunds, although I just haven't seen anything worthy of a Tre White-type contract from Edmunds.

38 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Milano?   Tre White?  They had a lot of players clearly nursing injuries in the first half of the season.

They are playing good team defense now........but it would be nice to have a playmaking MLB.

The difference between Edmunds and the better MLB's in the NFL(the NFC is loaded at the position) is that playmaking..........Edmunds just can't get himself there.

The AFC is very WEAK at ILB........a devalued position.......so Edmunds gets some mostly undeserved run but the improvements on defense have mostly been about adjustments to scheme, effort and technique........not the return to health of any one player.

It’s all hypothetical right now but the main thing is being afraid to even think about the type of contract he’s gonna demand at age 23 coming off probably his 3rd pro bowl.  Bobby Wagner got $18m per year at age 29.  Your talking $20m per year minimum for Edmunds.  Doesn’t make enough game changing plays to command that money but he’ll get it from someone.  

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I thought the lasting Edmunds image was a tired Cam Newton leaving Edmunds face down as he strolled into the end zone for the only offensive TD that the Patriots had scored in the last 3 games?

The horror... a good athlete made a play.

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Which pass numbers are you referring to?

Like PBU? INT?

ALL of them.

He has a ghastly 116 passer rating allowed......4 TD passes allowed.......he is giving up nearly 9 yards per pass attempt against him..........just 3 pass breakups on the entire season.........ZERO interceptions..........you name it.

He has played better of late.........in particular I thought he really brought it physically against the Niners..........but if you watch this defense objectively he leaves more plays on the field than ANYONE.    Even Levi.

And I am a big Edmunds fan..........I thought he was a great pick by Beane.........I thought he was the best pass rushing prospect in that draft...........but he's just not playing up to his immense talent as an off-ball LB.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

ALL of them.

He has a ghastly 116 passer rating allowed......4 TD passes allowed.......he is giving up nearly 9 yards per pass attempt against him..........just 3 pass breakups on the entire season.........ZERO interceptions..........you name it.

He has played better of late.........in particular I thought he really brought it physically against the Niners..........but if you watch this defense objectively he leaves more plays on the field than ANYONE.    Even Levi.

And I am a big Edmunds fan..........I thought he was a great pick by Beane.........I thought he was the best pass rushing prospect in that draft...........but he's just not playing up to his immense talent as an off-ball LB.

From my understanding the value he brings is clogging up the passing lanes and forcing the QB to make an alternate decision. That’s the reason I included the “dream catcher” he has a specific profile and skill set. 

It’s not necessarily measured outside of watching film.

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

From my understanding the value he brings is clogging up the passing lanes and forcing the QB to make an alternate decision. That’s the reason I included the “dream catcher” he has a specific profile and skill set. 

It’s not necessarily measured outside of watching film.

In the initial stage of Edmunds’ drop into zone coverage (top right of the image), he saw wide receiver Jakobi Meyers go into his breakdown to settle into a curl route. Edmunds could easily have stayed right where he was around the 31-yard line or even tried to cover up the receiver. But when he saw Meyers settle in well short of the first-down marker, he knew to continue his drop. Edmunds’ decision to carry through with the zone as it was called was a big reason the Bills took away the Patriots’ ability to get a first down through the air. The route combination had one receiver going deep to take the cornerback and safety with him, and another receiver working to get behind the first-level of the Bills’ zone coverage, past the first-down marker and inside to make it an easier throw for the quarterback. The Patriots’ routes effectively took the cornerback and safety away from the crossing receiver, but Edmunds’ drop made him a threat to jump the second-level route. Edmunds then settled at the first-down marker at the 28-yard line. His anticipation forced Newton to settle for the shorter target.