Changed my mind - Bring back Milano and let Edmunds walk

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Id be happy with Milano at $24M for three years with the last year being no guaranteed money and they could move on if need be and actually have his replacement in house by then instead of hoping you replace him..

Obviously you dont pay Klein as well so you cut him and save that money so its ony $2M a year more for a vastly better player

Based on this season, I just think Milano makes so much difference to this D when he is out there that you gotta do your best to keep him if you can..

Im not sure its as easy as you think to replace Milano in the draft and I think they have bigger needs to spend their top draft picks on next year - CB, DE, TE and S..

I think they already kinda tried to replace him, I always thought Vosean Joseph was drafted to steal his job with his athleticism. I was wrong there lol. 
It will be interesting for sure what they do, I’m no gm but I wouldn’t sign him up long term. Take Klein off this team this season and we might be fighting just to get in the playoffs. He dominated for 2-3 weeks while milano was out. It’s a tricky situation. I don’t think anyone can dispute the difference milano makes, kids a player.   He’s better than Klein, we shall see what Beane does with him. I stick to my theory though he’ll let him test the market to gauge his value though 

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I think they already kinda tried to replace him, I always thought Vosean Joseph was drafted to steal his job with his athleticism. I was wrong there lol. 
It will be interesting for sure what they do, I’m no gm but I wouldn’t sign him up long term. Take Klein off this team this season and we might be fighting just to get in the playoffs. He dominated for 2-3 weeks while milano was out. It’s a tricky situation. I don’t think anyone can dispute the difference milano makes, kids a player.   He’s better than Klein, we shall see what Beane does with him. I stick to my theory though he’ll let him test the market to gauge his value though 

Just because they got lucky once with a 5th round pick on LB doesnt mean they can do it every year and as you say their pick of Joseph proved that...

I think if they want him to replace him via the draft they will be going earlier than the 5th r.. probably they will have to use a top 60  pick to be sure of it...

I know we are all just speculating but from what we hear he may not be as motivated by money as the likes of Lawson and Phillips so I would try to get him signed before he hits the market,,, doesnt mean I expect him to play for chump change but if he took what I proposed earlier I think thats pretty good for both sides..

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Just because they got lucky once with a 5th round pick on LB doesnt mean they can do it every year and as you say their pick of Joseph proved that...

I think if they want him to replace him via the draft they will be going earlier than the 5th r.. probably they will have to use a top 60  pick to be sure of it...

I know we are all just speculating but from what we hear he may not be as motivated by money as the likes of Lawson and Phillips so I would try to get him signed before he hits the market,,, doesnt mean I expect him to play for chump change but if he took what I proposed earlier I think thats pretty good for both sides..

Well I can say this, even though I wouldn’t pay him, I will NOT be upset to see him return on a new contract here. I do enjoy his play. My nephew who is a big Carolina fan is watching closely, milano is his #1 free agent wish for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I'm definitely not convinced Edmunds is an excellent pass defender, and stats PROVE he hasn't made many splashy or impact plays. But it's possible that he's able to cover lots of ground when dropping into coverage, and that his length and general athleticism and smarts (which is different than instincts) assist the Bills in being consistently awesome defending the pass.

I remember some noteworthy Tampa-2 LBs this millennium whose most important (and unsung) assignments involved repeatedly dropping to deter/defend the pass. Maybe Edmunds excels at this?  

I've seen him get abused by TE's in coverage. Is it too much to ask any LB to cover modern TE's? Maybe, but if that's all he brings you, what exactly is his value?

I know zilch about the LBs in the upcoming draft class, but if there's an elite, do-it-all Urlacher, Willis, Kuechly type guy out there, I really want them to go get him. Our defense really lacks that game changer that can take over that side of the ball.

Edmunds age is becoming a meme of " Did you know Nick O'Leary is Jack Nicklaus' grandson?" proportions. I don't care if he's 18 or 35. If he can't play, he can't play. Also, age really doesn't matter all that much because it's the miles that get to players eventually.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

Are we still trying to fit square pegs in round holes by saying our D has a defined MLB and OLB? Because it doesn’t - even per Lorax, there is no difference between Milano and Edmunds positions except for specific man or zone coverage assignments on various downs.

I agree, I don’t know where his Pro Bowl nomination came from, but I hardly feel his development trajectory is one that is cause for concern. He and Milano together are a solid duo - run plays were blown up at the line and adjustments were made in game. It’s an area to improve, but I would still keep the pitchforks stored.  I would agree, however, that Milano’s value to the Bills is higher than market average for his role in this D.

The coaches, players and fans all vote for the Pro Bowl with the votes for each group counting one third so it’s not like we the fans put Edmunds in by a ridiculous number of votes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This defense is truly transformed with Milano playing.  I just rewatched the game.  He made multiple plays and good open field tackles.  Maybe it is this scheme. Maybe he is just that good.  Beane can't let him walk out the door.  In an ideal world the Bills and Milano would realize they are both good for each other and hammer out a reasonable deal.  Maybe with COVID and a static or falling cap number, there won't be too much money to throw at Milano by other teams.  If they can't find common ground then they should tag him.  Previously I said let Milano walk and use the tag for Williams at RT.  Now I say do whatever they can to keep him in Buffalo for another year.

Edmunds was terrible again.  He took bad angles again.  When he sheds a block someone let me know because it will be his first.  The runs up the gut were in part due to him guessing the wrong hole and just getting blown out of the play.  There is no way he played anywhere close to a ProBowl level this year.  Am I missing something?  Are you guys seeing something I am not?  He was moved to OLB for a handful of plays.  I get it 9 points, why mess with what's working.  But what happens when they play a competent offense that can run the ball?  

I hear ya... but you don't think they compliment each other?? Cause there has been times in the last 2 years where Milano played without Edmonds & he didn't look as good when he had to hold it down by himself.

I love them both...& something should be said that he's definitely a difference maker when he's on the field ...

But your best ability is availability... Derm's words ... I wouldn't be shocked if we grab someone in the 2nd rd of the draft, to replace Milano ... i trust this front office now...& i'll stand by the decision they'll make

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Changed my mind - Bring back Milano and let Edmunds walk

Didn't make much sense before, and even less now.

They're both fine players, we need 'em both. It might be economically impossible to keep Milano. I'm sure they will try like hell to bring him back, but they might not manage. When they have to bring Edmunds back there'll be much more money available. Shouldn't be as hard.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Are we still trying to fit square pegs in round holes by saying our D has a defined MLB and OLB? Because it doesn’t - even per Lorax, there is no difference between Milano and Edmunds positions except for specific man or zone coverage assignments on various downs.

I agree, I don’t know where his Pro Bowl nomination came from, but I hardly feel his development trajectory is one that is cause for concern. He and Milano together are a solid duo - run plays were blown up at the line and adjustments were made in game. It’s an area to improve, but I would still keep the pitchforks stored.  I would agree, however, that Milano’s value to the Bills is higher than market average for his role in this D.

Did you hear Sitdham when he came in? The series they started backed up. He didn't know who the Mike was. He called #58. Then the Bills shifted and he stood up again and called #49. Then as he was about to go back under centre he said "58" again. 

When Milano and Edmunds are out there together the Bills have a lot at their disposal. 

They both had a bad play on the Pats TD drive. Milano bought a misdirection on the long run by the rookie back and got out of his gap and Edmunds whiffed horribly on Cam on the touchdown run. I don't think either will ever be great run defenders and there will be half a dozen drives every year where teams run it down our throats and score. But in the modern NFL you can suffer that for two guys who are so active in space.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I've seen him get abused by TE's in coverage. Is it too much to ask any LB to cover modern TE's? Maybe, but if that's all he brings you, what exactly is his value?

I know zilch about the LBs in the upcoming draft class, but if there's an elite, do-it-all Urlacher, Willis, Kuechly type guy out there, I really want them to go get him. Our defense really lacks that game changer that can take over that side of the ball.

Edmunds age is becoming a meme of " Did you know Nick O'Leary is Jack Nicklaus' grandson?" proportions. I don't care if he's 18 or 35. If he can't play, he can't play. Also, age really doesn't matter all that much because it's the miles that get to players eventually.

Right, if he can't play, he can't play.

Thing is, he can. And does.

The Pro Bowl only authenticates the obvious. Yes, he wasn't very good earlier this season when he was injured and the whole defense wasn't working together. But he's obviously a great deal better now, as he was last year.

People want to see a skull-crusher at MLB, but that's not his game, nor is it what McDermott's main requirement of whoever plays that position in his defense.

And yeah, people say that Edmunds is young a lot. They also say look both ways before you cross and others, wear a mask for instance. A lot of times when people say stuff a lot, it's because it makes total and complete sense.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ColeB said:

The coaches, players and fans all vote for the Pro Bowl with the votes for each group counting one third so it’s not like we the fans put Edmunds in by a ridiculous number of votes.

It is an easier spot to make it in from the AFC. The balance of stud MLBs in the league is definitely slanted in the NFC's favour at this point. 

My first reaction when someone says to me "Edmunds is a pro bowler" is to think "not for me" but then when you look at the AFC it makes sense. If he was in the other conference however he hasn't even sniffed one at this point.

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This defense is truly transformed with Milano playing.  I just rewatched the game.  He made multiple plays and good open field tackles.  Maybe it is this scheme. Maybe he is just that good.  Beane can't let him walk out the door.  In an ideal world the Bills and Milano would realize they are both good for each other and hammer out a reasonable deal.  Maybe with COVID and a static or falling cap number, there won't be too much money to throw at Milano by other teams.  If they can't find common ground then they should tag him.  Previously I said let Milano walk and use the tag for Williams at RT.  Now I say do whatever they can to keep him in Buffalo for another year.

Edmunds was terrible again.  He took bad angles again.  When he sheds a block someone let me know because it will be his first.  The runs up the gut were in part due to him guessing the wrong hole and just getting blown out of the play.  There is no way he played anywhere close to a ProBowl level this year.  Am I missing something?  Are you guys seeing something I am not?  He was moved to OLB for a handful of plays.  I get it 9 points, why mess with what's working.  But what happens when they play a competent offense that can run the ball?  

I wish we could change your address.🤬

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Edmunds has played great since he’s fully recovered. Milano is always missing time. Edmunds might of struggled while out and playing with backups beside him, but he played through it. That says a lot about a player. He’s also super ***** young so he still could make big improvements 

I've just never seen it with Edmunds. He is not instinctual at all.  He is slow to react, a step behind in pass coverage, takes bad angles, can't fight through blocks.  

And then Milano is a force.  When he is out there our D is elite.  He is an incredible cover LB. He is a great blitzer and open field tackler.  He plays fast where Edmonds plays slow.  

It's been obvious to me since their rookie years who the better player is.  Milano is elite.  Edmonds leaves plenty of room for improvement.  I'd say he is a weak link on the D.  Teams pick on edmonds.  The Denver game was a great example, the entire first quarter every Denver gain was Edmonds it seemed.  

Edited by peterpan
  • Like (+1) 1

Ethan, I’ve been steadfast Milano should stay and way too many people are not evaluating Milano’s importance to this team.  He’s better than a lot of well paid WIL Backs in the league who are paid as much if not more than what Spotrac estimates his value.

Ill wait though as we don’t know who we retain on the team.  There are a bunch of 30+ vets that either will need to redo their contracts or get purged, amd we don’t know Beane’s draft strategy.  If you’re Beane, you probably would want to keep getting younger and developed, aka, keep them both, draft the holes, and move on from older guys.  It’s how you remain good for years.

• Like (+1) 1