Jim Kelly on Josh Allen

Whkfc

I was honestly wondering just this morning what Kellys thoughts were on Allen. He usually comments on our qbs and Ive heard nothing this season from him maybe im not listening to the right outlets. But good to see hes excited.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The NFL has sort of become a joke with the rules favoring offenses so much more than in the 1990's.  Allen is legit, but it doesn't take much to break offensive records today. 

There are mediocre quarterbacks that will shatter Hall of Famers records all because the NFL decided it wants high scoring games. 

• Like (+1) 8

2 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

The NFL has sort of become a joke with the rules favoring offenses so much more than in the 1990's.  Allen is legit, but it doesn't take much to break offensive records today. 

There are mediocre quarterbacks that will shatter Hall of Famers records all because the NFL decided it wants high scoring games. 

Defenses aren't allowed to play defense anymore. I get player safety and protecting a defenseless player but some of these calls for unnecessary roughness are BS.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

Defenses aren't allowed to play defense anymore. I get player safety and protecting a defenseless player but some of these calls for unnecessary roughness are BS.

Best way to even everything within the new rules is to ban cut blocking outright. It’ll never happen, but it would rebalance the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

There was an interview with Jim (pre-season I believe) and he was so very impressed and taken with Josh. I really think Jim sees a lot of himself in Josh. I think that there's an aspect of Josh that reminds Jim of perhaps having a son that didn't have the issues Hunter did and that there's a certain level of pride in watching him play like he does. Just my take....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

Don't agree the NFL has "become a joke" but I totally agree that you can't compare Kelly's era with Josh Allen's.  The game has changed that much.

The spirit of Kelly's comment, though, was that he sees Josh Allen growing into a more accomplished QB than he was.

That will take some doing, but it would be hard to argue against Josh being, by quite a bit, the better athlete.

I mean it only took how many decades and QBs? Yeah, it’s a pretty big accomplishment. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

You aren’t allowed to talk negative about Ryan Fitzpatrick like that.

46 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

There was an interview with Jim (pre-season I believe) and he was so very impressed and taken with Josh. I really think Jim sees a lot of himself in Josh. I think that there's an aspect of Josh that reminds Jim of perhaps having a son that didn't have the issues Hunter did and that there's a certain level of pride in watching him play like he does. Just my take....

Yeah, last year there were some interviews with Jim and Josh and so forth.  They were pretty funny: "Listen to your Uncle Jim!" and after last season Jim said he was going to meet with Josh and break down film with him because he had some stuff to say he wasn't sure anyone had put to Josh the same way.

To the OP, I think this season, Jim has not wanted to divert any attention from Josh. I also think he may be failing a bit, which is why Jill Kelly has been tweeting on his behalf "the torch has been passed" and now this one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's painfully obvious the NFL is an Offense driven league now, but also for a number of years - not so much this year - Offensive Pass Interference was off the charts as well. I remember in the "Glory Years" of the Buffalo Bills with Andre Reed and James Lofton, et. al., there was so much hand fighting and pushing and arm distancing during those years that Offensive Pass Interference was a rarity. Then, for like 10 years it became the norm. Now, when a flag is thrown you legit have no idea who the Ref is going to call for the foul. I was happy to see the flag picked up against Tre because even Collinsworth who I have no doubt has a secret basement full of Patriots' jerseys and flags and pictures all for a shrine to Cheating Bill and Marsha, said it was definitely NOT a penalty.

So while the NFL is more Offense driven than it has even been, there's also been more rule changes and things that complicate the matter that it's not as simple as saying teams can't play Defense anymore. IMHO, an accurate statement is that it's harder to play Defense with all the rules and the Offense has an edge, but even some of those changes are ridiculous. But, now I sound like a cantankerous codger so I'll go eat my prunes and take my blood pressure meds and let the young folk talk....

"Hey, got off my lawn ya' darn kids!".

That’s neither here or there because comparing players and their stats across eras is futile. We can only judge players in comparison to their peers in the eras they play. There may be some mediocre contemporary QBs passing for more yards, etc. than HOFers before them, but I doubt they're in the discussion of greatest QBs of the times as those HOFers were in their day.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, last year there were some interviews with Jim and Josh and so forth.  They were pretty funny: "Listen to your Uncle Jim!" and after last season Jim said he was going to meet with Josh and break down film with him because he had some stuff to say he wasn't sure anyone had put to Josh the same way.

To the OP, I think this season, Jim has not wanted to divert any attention from Josh. I also think he may be failing a bit, which is why Jill Kelly has been tweeting on his behalf "the torch has been passed" and now this one.

I mean Josh is probably less available with Covid restrictions not to mention Kelly has to be cautious having some dangerous pre-existing conditions so that might be a significant factor.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

Yeah that part is true but Allen is neither a joke nor Mediocre.

8 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

As far as records go a DB can still track down a football and take it so its not like that part of the game has really changed much IMO. Teams are bigger, faster, which equates to harder hits. More cumulative. The rule changes are meant to avoid violent collisons that puts players on both sides of the football out of commission IMO. Facing a healthy secondary like Buffalo's will give teams problems in todays game or 20 years ago IMO. 

Its still a violent game...

Edited by Figster