The only thing that can set Josh back, the only thing that can cause him to regress

Need to give some credit with his pocket presence and the way he has worked in the offseason.....Agree they work very good together but I think Josh has made huge strides in his game and allowed Daboll to be even more creative some of this success needs to be going to Allen as well

34 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

If Dabolls’ sincerity is to be believed, he ain’t goin’ nowhere. 23 years as a Coach in the AFCE and finally able to move back home where he can visit his grandparents while directing the thrilling Bills Offense is, IMO, his dream job. Don’t know/haven’t heard that he actually seeks to be a HC but I’d be surprised if so. 

Part of me wishes Sean hadn’t promoted Frazier to AHC as Brian is more deserving and worthy of the ‘protection’ the title entails from wannabe poachers. If he does aspire to move away from WNY again and become a HC, then Best Wishes! I just don’t think he’d prefer it -e$pecially if the Bill$ $weeten the pot $ome..

From what I am told he is preparing for interviews and pulling together a staff (was told Patricia is a potential DC on a Daboll ticket). I think he wants it. Might it be the case though that he does a Josh McDaniels and withdraws his name from certain situations if he doesn't feel it is perfect - not in the accept the job and pull out way he did to the Colts but in the way he has done with interviews elsewhere over the years. 

22 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

If Dabolls’ sincerity is to be believed, he ain’t goin’ nowhere. 23 years as a Coach in the AFCE and finally able to move back home where he can visit his grandparents while directing the thrilling Bills Offense is, IMO, his dream job. Don’t know/haven’t heard that he actually seeks to be a HC but I’d be surprised if so. 

Part of me wishes Sean hadn’t promoted Frazier to AHC as Brian is more deserving and worthy of the ‘protection’ the title entails from wannabe poachers. If he does aspire to move away from WNY again and become a HC, then Best Wishes! I just don’t think he’d prefer it -e$pecially if the Bill$ $weeten the pot $ome..

I agree 100%.  The Buffalo connection is the big thing here.  He has a daughter who is a heck of a multi-sport athlete in high school at Nardin.  That's where my mother went to high school back in the day.  As a dad Daboll may be loathe to uproot her during highschool.  Daboll is only 45 years old and has plenty of time to be a HC if he wants to.  If he can help the Bills win a SB in the next few years he will have his pick of jobs at that point.   Being from Buffalo he understands what a championship would mean to this town.  Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?   I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pegulas get proactive and put more money in his pocket before the end of this season.  They seem to understand the value of continuity in a franchise.  

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I think they fill it from within. And I think Ken Dorsey gets the job as the OC.

If Daboll does get a HC gig, the odds are he will take most of his staff with him, including Dorsey.

• Sad 1

I honestly don’t worry about Daboll leaving. 
This offense isn’t all scheme like some others. The success has always been Allen and his development. Allen has worked on his game and the base is there now. He knows what works and what he’s good at and any new coordinators are going to build a scheme based off what Allen wants to do. 
Daboll I would of fired last year honestly but as per usual I don’t always see the bigger picture with this front office and coaching staff. I think we will be ok with or without Daboll 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Is if Daboll gets a head coaching gig somewhere else and McDermott doesn’t fill the cupboards after Daboll leaves.. It’s looking more n more like Daboll will be gone this offseason.. And Sean McDermott being the defensive minded coach that he is will be charged with the task of finding a new OC and offensive staff.. This will likely determine if coach McD will be here for 5 more years or if he’ll be gone in two.. Will McD embellish the job of being a HC, or will he prove to simply be a glorified DC? Obviously you’d like to see him grow into the role of HC the way Bill Belichick did in New England and master both sides of the ball.. But will McDermott have the knowledge and insight to replace our offensive staff next year in the event that our coaching staff gets gutted? Will he be able to keep the system the same for Josh? Will he hire the next Brian Daboll? Or will he hire the next Rick Dennison? This could very well determine the length of Sean McDermott’s stay in Buffalo..

Not buying it.  It is common today for OCs and DCs on good teams to move on.  Josh should be able to adapt to a new system.  Josh gets off season coaching separate from Daboll and he has been able to fine tune his game.  He knows how to learn and works hard at his craft.  

Now a new OC could be less creative or less capable but all teams face this.   

All this talk of Daboll leaving is still only speculation.   Sure, he probably wants to be a HC but he knows he is in a good place and may want to stay.  

12 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I honestly don’t worry about Daboll leaving. 
This offense isn’t all scheme like some others. The success has always been Allen and his development. Allen has worked on his game and the base is there now. He knows what works and what he’s good at and any new coordinators are going to build a scheme based off what Allen wants to do. 
Daboll I would of fired last year honestly but as per usual I don’t always see the bigger picture with this front office and coaching staff. I think we will be ok with or without Daboll 

I think firing him last year would have been a big mistake. It was the critical offseason for Josh and we are reaping the benefits of the comfort level in the scheme. It meant Josh could just worry about working on his game not learning a whole new offense. I honestly think now Josh is at the point where his confidence is such that if it is a new guy he will be fine. Particularly if, as I expect, they promote Dorsey from within. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Merle said:

If Daboll does get a HC gig, the odds are he will take most of his staff with him, including Dorsey.

Why would Dorsey leave for what would most likely be a rebuild when he can just be the Coordinator here with an established QB that he’s familiar with?

Dorsey was in Carolina with Beane and McDermott. The only history he has with Daboll is this year and last in Buffalo.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

I think they fill it from within. And I think Ken Dorsey gets the job as the OC.

I know a lot of the league is trending towards offensive coach matched with a QB (Mahomes-Reid, Rodgers-LaFleur, Goff-McVay).

I do believe no small part of this offense’s success is due to Daboll. But this is Allen’s 3rd year in the system, Daboll and Dorsey have been here the entire time together, Dorsey knows the system and knows Allen. 

But I believe overall the better setup is to have a strong QB run your offense, and a coach who can coach up the defense, like McDermott. I do believe he’s also growing as a head coach right in front of our eyes and that this organization has a top-5 Head Coach/Quarterback combo and in my estimation THAT is the greatest precursor to long term success if well managed (which I also believe we are with Beane as GM as well).

I agree wit this, there is a huge benefit in terms of continuity and it also seems like the type of process, guys move up as opposed to moving in from outside that Bean and Mcdermott would desire

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think firing him last year would have been a big mistake. It was the critical offseason for Josh and we are reaping the benefits of the comfort level in the scheme. It meant Josh could just worry about working on his game not learning a whole new offense. I honestly think now Josh is at the point where his confidence is such that if it is a new guy he will be fine. Particularly if, as I expect, they promote Dorsey from within. 

Yeah after Houston I would of canned him. But it definitely would of been a huge mistake. I respected him in the fact he’s always been genius at scheming guys open, just hated his predictability last year. He’s done wonderful this season though 

I'm sure other people have noted it - but if you were looking for a place to show you know your stuff as an OC - JA and his weapons seems like a pretty good gig. You'd have to imagine if you were looking for an OC job there won't be many better options that aren't on rebuilding teams with possible office strife. 

38 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I agree 100%.  The Buffalo connection is the big thing here.  He has a daughter who is a heck of a multi-sport athlete in high school at Nardin.  That's where my mother went to high school back in the day.  As a dad Daboll may be loathe to uproot her during highschool.  Daboll is only 45 years old and has plenty of time to be a HC if he wants to.  If he can help the Bills win a SB in the next few years he will have his pick of jobs at that point.   Being from Buffalo he understands what a championship would mean to this town.  Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?   I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pegulas get proactive and put more money in his pocket before the end of this season.  They seem to understand the value of continuity in a franchise.  

very valid points. He was a Bills Fan after all

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

I know a lot of the league is trending towards offensive coach matched with a QB (Mahomes-Reid, Rodgers-LaFleur, Goff-McVay).

I do believe no small part of this offense’s success is due to Daboll. But this is Allen’s 3rd year in the system, Daboll and Dorsey have been here the entire time together, Dorsey knows the system and knows Allen. 

But I believe overall the better setup is to have a strong QB run your offense, and a coach who can coach up the defense, like McDermott. I do believe he’s also growing as a head coach right in front of our eyes and that this organization has a top-5 Head Coach/Quarterback combo and in my estimation THAT is the greatest precursor to long term success if well managed (which I also believe we are with Beane as GM as well).

Dorsey is assured of the job if he wants it. 

1 hour ago, Merle said:

The Bills will make it very difficult for Dorsey to say no to being named an Asst. HC/OC if Daboll tries to poach him if he (Daboll) should leave. And has been pointed out up thread, Daboll would be leaving for a rebuild somewhere else. 

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Why would Dorsey leave for what would most likely be a rebuild when he can just be the Coordinator here with an established QB that he’s familiar with?

Dorsey was in Carolina with Beane and McDermott. The only history he has with Daboll is this year and last in Buffalo.

If Anthony Lynn gets fired in LA, I’d love to potentially bring him back as our OC if our staff gets gutted.. He may not be a HC but he has always established a darn good running game and he did real good with Herbert. Wouldn’t have to worry about other teams poaching him as he is not HC material. A running game behind Allen is a scary thought..

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Dorsey is assured of the job if he wants it. 

I’d rather see Anthony Lynn brought in as OC/running game coordinator and potentially keep Dorsey as our QB coach/passing game coordinator.. Chad Hall WR coach should be retained if possible as should Bobby Johnson OL coach.. Think collectively between Lynn, Dorsey and Allen we’d be cooking on offense..

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

If Anthony Lynn gets fired in LA, I’d love to potentially bring him back as our OC if our staff gets gutted.. He may not be a HC but he has always established a darn good running game and he did real good with Herbert. Wouldn’t have to worry about other teams poaching him as he is not HC material. A running game behind Allen is a scary thought..

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that he holds a grudge against us because he didn’t get the HC job. 

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I'd say best case scenario unless a dream spot opens up (which it very well might with Chargers and Texans) Daboll sticks around waiting for the right opportunity while trying to bring a Lombardi to his hometown.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1