The only thing that can set Josh back, the only thing that can cause him to regress

Hard to believe Daboll would not take a great HC gig in San Diego or Houston. And like the team, it would be next man up. That said, I'd love to have him here for another year and so would Sean and Josh. I guess it just depends of the gig. He's already played a huge role here in fashioning Josh into a true franchise QB and budding star. 

6 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

My prediction is Dabol will get a HC job at some point but will flame out ala Josh McDaniels. 

Then he will be back in 3 years as our Coordinator again. 

I also think We will offer him a boat load of money to try and keep him here at all costs..

HC compensation is 3x coordinator.  Bills not gonna pay that for a coordinator.  the cupboard is bare with all the loss of revenue.

I would hate to see Daboll go at this point...he's calling great games, his relationship with Josh, he's a hometown guy, etc. I hope that he's around one more year at least. But, I wouldn't be as worried as the OP if Daboll were to leave for a head coaching position for three reasons:

1. We are in a very different position for hiring OCs than we were in Sean's first year. In 2017, we were a down-and-out franchise that hadn't done much winning for 20 years and Sean was a first-time head coach working for an organization that had been turning over head coaches every two to three years. Bad team, no stability, and no QB? What OC wants that, unless it is their only option. Cut to 3+ years later, we should be making our third trip to the playoffs in four years under McD, Sean's reputation across the league has really risen, the organization under the Pegulas and McBeane is stable. The owners put money into the team/want to win. Beane has a top FO. The team is talented, with young core players all over the place. You have a top WR group. And most importantly, a young, ascending, franchise QB. Sean should have the pick of the litter with OCs if Daboll leaves and Sean decides to hire outside the organization. And a high-end OC will be able to work with Josh and adapt his scheme and or Josh's game to continue to be successful. And there is no way, with as methodical as McDermott and Beane are, that they don't know who the best OCs or potential OCs are and/or who would be good for Josh/the team. You can't use the hiring of Dennison under the circumstances of 2017 as a future predictor that Sean can't hire a good OC.

2. Because Daboll's system is so situational, the players and Josh learn to attack in many different ways. The offense can be chameleon-like from week to week. Sometimes a QB's skills fit a particular system and they have some success in it, but if you take them out of that system, they seem to regress or not be able to grasp/execute in other systems. But, thanks to Daboll's system, Josh is not doing one thing, one way, every week. He has learned to be adaptable and attack any defense in multiple ways. They have learned more concepts (how many times have we heard jokes about the size of Daboll's playbook) than your average team, so they can call on them if need be against a specific opponent. I think that Josh would be able to pick up another system pretty well at this stage of his development.

3. JOSH himself. The kid just has superhero-level talent and it is matched with smarts, drive, work ethic, competitiveness, and good relationships with everyone. I have confidence that Josh will make whatever his situation is work for him. As long as his coaches are above average (and point one should quell that fear), then I think Josh will continue to succeed. Daboll has given him such a solid base and core (and he's a smart kid to begin with) that I think, at this point, Josh could still flourish with a different coach/system, etc. Josh won't let Josh fail.

Edited by folz

I don't like how many people are suggesting Ken Dorsey to replace Daboll. That would be a lazy uninspiring choice. Give me a rising offensive assistant or a solid OC that gets let go as part of a regime change. Surely someone better than Ken Dorsey will want to add a Josh Allen/Stefon Diggs/Cole Beasley offense to their resume. What about Bill O'Brien? Even Anthony Lynn? Someone that has proven they can design an NFL offense.

Edited by HappyDays

13 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

My prediction is Dabol will get a HC job at some point but will flame out ala Josh McDaniels. 

Then he will be back in 3 years as our Coordinator again. 

I also think We will offer him a boat load of money to try and keep him here at all costs..

Always tough as a new HC because you're almost always coming into a mess, but the Chargers have to be looking at Daboll pretty hard this offseason and they're not really a mess, they just need a good HC.  Top 12 on both sides of the ball.

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't like how many people are suggesting Ken Dorsey to replace Daboll. That would be a lazy uninspiring choice. Give me a rising offensive assistant or a solid OC that gets let go as part of a regime change. Surely someone better than Ken Dorsey will want to add a Josh Allen/Stefon Diggs/Cole Beasley offense to their resume. What about Bill O'Brien? Even Anthony Lynn? Someone that has proven they can design an NFL offense.

I would prefer Dorsey to Lynn. Lynn has never designed an offense anywhere. He called an offense here - but it was Greg Roman's scheme and Greg Roman's design. Then in LA it was Whiz's scheme in 18 and 19...  he might have had more of a say this year but to be honest I am not hugely impressed with them schematically even with Herbert playing as well as he has.

Bill O'Brien would be an interesting choice in that he has proven he can design an offense and call plays and he is an E-P guy so schematically and verbiage not much would have to change. My concern there would be personality. Not sure he is a good mesh with McDermott or with Josh to be honest.

If I was going for someone a bit left field I have been a big proponent of Sean Ryan. He has coached quarterbacks and receivers in his career, was DeShaun Watson's QB coach the first two years in Houston, under O'Brien where they ran a lot of E-P concept stuff and then has been in Detroit as QB coach where Bevell isn't a pure E-P guy but has incorporated lots of those concepts presumably at Patricia's direction. I have always thought he is great with young players - he was OBJ's coach as a rookie and he, like Watson, raves about him. 

I just think the decision will be about what makes Josh comfortable and if they feel he is comfortable with Dorsey that makes him the most likely hire.

Edited by GunnerBill

6 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Always tough as a new HC because you're almost always coming into a mess, but the Chargers have to be looking at Daboll pretty hard this offseason and they're not really a mess, they just need a good HC.  Top 12 on both sides of the ball.

Good point and have  another young promising Qb.

The thread was about what could limit Josh...it is not coaching now, not play calling...

When Covid ends....and it will... Chippawa, adoration and ***** Galore could be his only undoing.

He has been focused fully, he has his head on football mode, he is a great teammate, hope it stays that way...

Dorsey is waiting in the wings imo. He's a smart guy and even Josh talked about the "juice" he's brought into the room. I'm sure McDermott has already considered the potential losses of both Daboll and Frazier at any given point and has an idea as to what he would do.