The only thing that can set Josh back, the only thing that can cause him to regress

Is if Daboll gets a head coaching gig somewhere else and McDermott doesn’t fill the cupboards after Daboll leaves.. It’s looking more n more like Daboll will be gone this offseason.. And Sean McDermott being the defensive minded coach that he is will be charged with the task of finding a new OC and offensive staff.. This will likely determine if coach McD will be here for 5 more years or if he’ll be gone in two.. Will McD embellish the job of being a HC, or will he prove to simply be a glorified DC? Obviously you’d like to see him grow into the role of HC the way Bill Belichick did in New England and master both sides of the ball.. But will McDermott have the knowledge and insight to replace our offensive staff next year in the event that our coaching staff gets gutted? Will he be able to keep the system the same for Josh? Will he hire the next Brian Daboll? Or will he hire the next Rick Dennison? This could very well determine the length of Sean McDermott’s stay in Buffalo..

• Like (+1) 1

Josh seems like a qb who is growing into someone who won't necessarily need the best OC. If he is as good as we like to think, his talent and the talent around him will take care of itself. I am not saying that coaching doesn't matter. But he has the arm talent, is reading defenses, and can throw on the run with the best of them. Any competent OC will find a way to use these abilities Josh has.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I think they fill it from within. And I think Ken Dorsey gets the job as the OC.

I know a lot of the league is trending towards offensive coach matched with a QB (Mahomes-Reid, Rodgers-LaFleur, Goff-McVay).

I do believe no small part of this offense’s success is due to Daboll. But this is Allen’s 3rd year in the system, Daboll and Dorsey have been here the entire time together, Dorsey knows the system and knows Allen. 

But I believe overall the better setup is to have a strong QB run your offense, and a coach who can coach up the defense, like McDermott. I do believe he’s also growing as a head coach right in front of our eyes and that this organization has a top-5 Head Coach/Quarterback combo and in my estimation THAT is the greatest precursor to long term success if well managed (which I also believe we are with Beane as GM as well).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t buy this argument at all. Daboll definitely deserves credit in Josh’s development but Josh is well on his way. He’s not going to all of a sudden forget how to read a defense or not recognize man vs zone. He’s not going to backslide in mechanics because Daboll isn’t there to call some plays. I’d love for Daboll to stay, I think he’s improving as an OC like the rest of the team is improving, but if he moves on we will be fine. Josh is far enough along in his development that changing coordinators will not result in a regression. The OC is important, but franchise QBs can adapt.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Dkollidas said:

I think they fill it from within. And I think Ken Dorsey gets the job as the OC.

I know a lot of the league is trending towards offensive coach matched with a QB (Mahomes-Reid, Rodgers-LaFleur, Goff-McVay).

I do believe no small part of this offense’s success is due to Daboll. But this is Allen’s 3rd year in the system, Daboll and Dorsey have been here the entire time together, Dorsey knows the system and knows Allen. 

But I believe overall the better setup is to have a strong QB run your offense, and a coach who can coach up the defense, like McDermott. I do believe he’s also growing as a head coach right in front of our eyes and that this organization has a top-5 Head Coach/Quarterback combo and in my estimation THAT is the greatest precursor to long term success if well managed (which I also believe we are with Beane as GM as well).

I think McDermott has huge potential.. but he can simply no longer be a DC.. He has to have a great understanding of offense as well to be successful long-term.

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Remind me - who hired Daboll?

Same person who fired most of staff first year and hired Frick (OC) and Frack (WR coach).

I was on record of saying at time he did too much dumping of coaches and scouts.

I know he is more experienced on offense now and can ask Dorsey for advice but he needs a strong and creative OC.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, RunTheBall said:

I don’t buy this argument at all. Daboll definitely deserves credit in Josh’s development but Josh is well on his way. He’s not going to all of a sudden forget how to read a defense or not recognize man vs zone. He’s not going to backslide in mechanics because Daboll isn’t there to call some plays. I’d love for Daboll to stay, I think he’s improving as an OC like the rest of the team is improving, but if he moves on we will be fine. Josh is far enough along in his development that changing coordinators will not result in a regression. The OC is important, but franchise QBs can adapt.

I think the last offseason was the really critical one to have Daboll here for. Josh had made a big leap year 1 to year 2 and then forcing him to learn a new system year 3 could have risked that. After this year and the confidence Josh will have from it to be honest I'm not sure it matters nearly as much. Sure Josh would love Daboll to stay, but if he goes I doubt it really risks Josh's development. 

• Like (+1) 2

My prediction is Dabol will get a HC job at some point but will flame out ala Josh McDaniels. 

Then he will be back in 3 years as our Coordinator again. 

I also think We will offer him a boat load of money to try and keep him here at all costs..

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the last offseason was the really critical one to have Daboll here for. Josh had made a big leap year 1 to year 2 and then forcing him to learn a new system year 3 could have risked that. After this year and the confidence Josh will have from it to be honest I'm not sure it matters nearly as much. Sure Josh would love Daboll to stay, but if he goes I doubt it really risks Josh's development. 

Look at Wentz.

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

I think McDermott has huge potential.. but he can simply no longer be a DC.. He has to have a great understanding of offense as well to be successful long-term.

He hasn’t been a DC for four years. He’s been a HC. 

He’s on record multiple times saying he spends as much time with every unit of the team... because he is the head coach... and that is what they do.

He leads all of the men on the roster.... because he is the head coach.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

Agreed. And I think that comes with time. Belichick has had 20+yrs in New England alone to become that kind of coach. Andy Reid is one of those coaches as well to me, but more offensive oriented, but has also had a long time to reach that level. 

Next year will be year 5 for McDermott, and i believe if they lose Daboll it will necessitate McDermott becoming a bigger part of the offensive brain trust. His overall aggressiveness (willingness to going for it on 4th for example) makes me think he’ll be a valuable mind to the offensive game plan and execution. 

If Dabolls’ sincerity is to be believed, he ain’t goin’ nowhere. 23 years as a Coach in the AFCE and finally able to move back home where he can visit his grandparents while directing the thrilling Bills Offense is, IMO, his dream job. Don’t know/haven’t heard that he actually seeks to be a HC but I’d be surprised if so. 

Part of me wishes Sean hadn’t promoted Frazier to AHC as Brian is more deserving and worthy of the ‘protection’ the title entails from wannabe poachers. If he does aspire to move away from WNY again and become a HC, then Best Wishes! I just don’t think he’d prefer it -e$pecially if the Bill$ $weeten the pot $ome..

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1