Decisions of seeding vs rest we might have to consider

Orlando Tim

If we win the next two games and the Phins drop one of them we can clinch the division before going to the Pat's*. If that occurs do we rest our stars and just accept a 4 seed? I think we play full out at NE and rest against the Phins because I think seeding is of little importance this year unless you are the 1 seed due to little fans 

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

If we win the next two games and the Phins drop one of them we can clinch the division before going to the Pat's*. If that occurs do we rest our stars and just accept a 4 seed? I think we play full out at NE and rest against the Phins because I think seeding is of little importance this year unless you are the 1 seed due to little fans 

I'm not sure if being a 3 or 4 seed a major difference. Yet a 4 vs 2 could be especially with Buffalo winters but because we're a passing offense maybe playing in windy wintery Orchard Park not the best thing for us with lack of crowd noise etc. 

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

Homefield really doesn't mean much without fans. In a normal year I would want the Bills to go for the #2 seed and get those potential 2 home playoff games. This year they first need to clinch and then I would think about resting players who could use it. It will be interesting to see what McDermott does.

There is a major difference between being the 3rd and 4th seed.   If you're the 3rd seed and win your first playoff game you most likely play the Steelers in Round 2.   If you're the 4th you most likely play the Chiefs.

No way do you rest your starters for the last two games.   The last one with no ability to get the 3rd seed yes, the last two no.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not worried particularly about playing anyone other than KC. That said, I'd rather avoid Tennessee and Cleveland given the choice. Just don't love those matchups for us. Think we match up much better against Indy, Miami and Vegas. 

I am more concerned about power running teams than KC at the moment. I believe our biggest weakness is the DT despite the fact they played great last night because I think last night was largely based on Mullen and his weak arm.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am more concerned about power running teams than KC at the moment. I believe our biggest weakness is the DT despite the fact they played great last night because I think last night was largely based on Mullen and his weak arm.

Yea San Fran don't have the play action game that Tennessee and Cleveland do to hurt you if you cheat up to play the run. That is why I'd rather avoid them and play one of the other 3 possible contenders.... think we just match up better. 

23 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

There is a major difference between being the 3rd and 4th seed.   If you're the 3rd seed and win your first playoff game you most likely play the Steelers in Round 2.   If you're the 4th you most likely play the Chiefs.

No way do you rest your starters for the last two games.   The last one with no ability to get the 3rd seed yes, the last two no.

Smartest post of the day (so far).

16 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Beating the same team 3 times in a season is very hard.

It's a recipe for losing.......I don't want to see a team 3 times in one year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't care about the matchups. With the extra team in, there's no bye in play as it stands right now. If that were to change, go ahead and play for it. Right now, take it a week at a time and clinch the division. Get the home game against 5-6-7 and go from there. It's almost too bad that this isn't a conventional playoff year, because beating Pittsburgh next week would give Buffalo a head-to-head tiebreaker for the two seed and a playoff by would actually be on the table. Even this year, I would be much more inclined to play for the two seeds than the three seed because it means that Buffalo gets home field in the event that somebody gets Kansas City.

Generally, the higher seed means less travel but with Kansas City and Pittsburgh on top of the conference, travel is not really going to be an issue as long as Buffalo wins the Division. Of course you would always rather play more home games. But it's too early to talk about that right now.

The AFC is so competitive this year that the seven teams that are standing at the end are all probably going to be pretty good and they're all probably going to have 10 wins. I still really like the bills chances against any of five through seven. The way it looks, Buffalo is going to have to host one of Cleveland Indianapolis Miami Vegas or Baltimore. 

40 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

buffalo wins 2 games and Miami lose one and buffalo clinches division. So Miami lose to kc and buf beats Pitt then the clinch with win at Denver.

cincinnato win by Miami means buffalo has tiebreaker on them.  With Pats they don’t yet but the best pats can do is 10-6 so 2 wins gets buffalo to 11.

buffalo has edge on indy with better conference record. Indy went 4-0 against nfc.

if buffalo beats Pittsburgh then they are 1 game behind with tiebreaker. Pit has fin Indy and Cleve to play.

if KC loses 1 of its nfc games and 2. Of its afc games and buff, Pitt, kc are all tied at 13-3 thrn as of now buffalo has edge on getting 2 seed because of strength of victory.  Buffalo could have the edge here if KC loses their 2 road games against better record teams.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not worried particularly about playing anyone other than KC. That said, I'd rather avoid Tennessee and Cleveland given the choice. Just don't love those matchups for us. Think we match up much better against Indy, Miami and Vegas. 

I’d rather avoid those teams and let one of them beat up on KC in the divisional round.  A win next week and the 2 seed isn’t entirely out of the question.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed.. but I am really impressed with how we just dominated the 49ers.... Niners being a team that relies on physicality, defense and the run game, like the Titans and Browns.

Edited by SCBills

We don't need to try to avoid any team

We have the talent and playmakers to beat anyone in the playoffs and should definitely not be taking a scared or tentative approach to Week 17 rest or any of that nonsense.  Prepare with confidence - the team will feed off of it 

An issue in week 17 with the Fins is a potential rematch the next week in the playoffs based on a win/lose.  Do you want to win and thrn play them again the next week.  

right now they face each other in a 3 vs 6.

I personally would want to win thrm using my starters and them play them the next week ( assumes bills cliched division before game is played)