Will Jerry Hughes get to double digit sacks?

Regardless of what people think this dude is responsible for many of the pressures other players on the team get by forcing the QBs to step up into them. There is a reason why he is consistently near the top of the list for pass rush win rate and pressures/hurries.  He also is underrated against the run too...

Not bad for a converted OLB.

• Like (+1) 5

Just looked and as of this past game, Hughes is still 2nd in the NFL at pass rush win rate at 30%, behind only TJ Watt at 33%...he is even ahead of Garrett(28%) and Bosa(27%):

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

Also, Bills are 2nd in the NFL at Team Pass Rush Win Rate at 53%, trailing only the Steelers at 57%

Pass rush win is defined as the percentage of times a player is able to beat his block within 2.5 seconds.

As an aside, Morse is the only Bills OL in the top 10 in pass rush win rate, ranking 4th for Centers at 96%. This is the converse of the above, and tells how often an offensive player is able to maintain their blocks for at least 2.5 seconds.

Bills as a team rate very well in offensive pass block win rate at 64% which is 4th best in the NFL behind Green Bay, Cleveland and Arizona. However they rate very poorly in run block win rate at 67%, which ranks 30th. Surprisingly, San Francisco ranks 29th at 68% in this metric. The only 2 teams worse than the Bills in this metric are the Chargers(67%) and Chiefs(66%)

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, berg1029 said:

I don't think so, but regardless of his final numbers he has made a positive impact on the defense this year.  He's never been a guy that gets "home" a lot, but is he someone that disrupts the QBs rhythm very often

I agree, he's usually behind the 8 ball with as many times he's held. But he has done a good job this season disrupting the pocket and hurrying the qb.

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

if Oliver or anyone else on the D line would consistently show up, I'd say yes.  But since they don't, I'd say no.  He will keep getting pressure, but QB's can just easily move away due to a lack of other pressure.  

The absence of a 1tech will do that.

• Like (+1) 1

Hughes is awesome, and gets constant pressure. Between his effort, speed and technique, he seems to always be in the mix. I love his bend off of the edge. I think he’s got a few more sacks in him if he can lean a little more into the OT in his edge rush. He really wins with speed and bend, but often runs the wheel a little wide (hence, the contain issues we’ve had at times). 

I like Hughes as a DE, but he is a bit of a one trick pony as a pass rusher on the edge. The games they play up front will help get him to the QB in other ways. 

Think 10 might be a stretch but think he could get to 8 which would be his best year since Schwartz left. 

The problem with Jerry has never been winning his assignment. It has been finishing. Every year there are 4 or 5 sacks he really should get because he gets there and engages the QB but doesn't get them down. It is why despite being a consistently successful rusher off the edge he doesn't have the elite sack numbers you would expect.

23 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Regardless of what people think this dude is responsible for many of the pressures other players on the team get by forcing the QBs to step up into them. There is a reason why he is consistently near the top of the list for pass rush win rate and pressures/hurries.  He also is underrated against the run too...

Not bad for a converted OLB.

How dare you bring reality and critical thinking into the conversation. 🤔

He can.  I can see him getting three versus Denver.

16 minutes ago, Big C said:

How crazy is it we traded Kelvin Sheppard for this dude and he is still producing for us? 

I live in Indy.  They had him playing out of position and were happy to dump him off on someone else. Bad move.