Steelers take a hit - Bud Dupree

4 minutes ago, Jobot said:

The Steelers are a good team, but they might be the most average 11-0 team of all time.

At first I had this as a loss for the Bills but now I think they will give them their first loss. I think the 3 games in 11 days will play a factor as well.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, H2o said:

The Steelers defense is still legit. I don't expect our game against them to be a cakewalk. They also have some viable weapons in the receiving group with Smith-Schuster, Johnson, Claypool, and Ebron. The key will be to harass Ben who looks like he is 50 years old back there in the pocket. They will also have Connor and Tuitt back when they play us. Connor has abilities similar to Austin Ekeler. After seeing how Bosa wrecked us last week, I also worry about us being able to handle TJ Watt. The Steelers are also a dirty bunch, especially Cam Hayward imo. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to go at Josh. The game as a whole makes me nervous. I want the W no doubt, but more so that we are just as healthy coming out of it as we are going into it. 

Well, Ebron is off and on again, he's been very inconsistent this year and while their receivers are very good as a group they don't have a guy that scares you. Think of them as three very good number 2's. Ben has been getting rid of the ball quickly this year as pointed out on the broadcast yesterday, but if Pouncey is still out we might be able to get some pressure up the gut on him. Conner doesn't have a lot of twitch, I think our run defense will be able to handle him. Kind of similar to Moss now that I think about it. As far as Watt, usually they will line him up over D Williams so this might be the game that determines if we pay williams a lot of money in the offseason.

I guess I'm more worried about the offense, even without Dupree and Bush the Steelers are going to give us some problems. Fitzpatrick at safety is a play maker and the Steelers can still get after you against the run and the pass. Seems like they're going to get Tuitt back too, which will help their  DL. Without Brown we might have some problems sustaining drives. It will be interesting to see if we're going to try and run the ball or throw it. It seems the best way to beat them historically has been with the short passing game. Hopefully Knox will come to play, he might be a big factor in a win.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

12 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

This is why the franchise tag sucks. 
Guy had one good season last year, didn’t get the big offer, gambled playing on the franchise tag and now he is gonna lose a fortune being a free agent rehabbing a major injury and question marks if he can be ready to start next season. 

This is exactly why owners would say you are wrong.  Imagine they pay out huge contract---loaded with signing bonus then this guy goes out with ACL and maybe he's never the same again.

• Like (+1) 2

Dupree might be better off to just plan on sitting out the 2021 season.  He might be able to rehab and get on the field by the first half of the season, but he'd have to sign a contract  with the team (whatever team it might be) having no guarantees about how effective he'll be or how quickly he can get on the field,  Moreover it is a year when teams may be dealing with a reduced cap.  If he signs a one year deal, he faces the risk of getting injured again without a long term deal.  If he tries to sign a long term deal, it's going to be far less than his market value when healthy in a normal year.  In 2022, he can be fully healthy when he works out for teams and his agent tries to negotiate a long term deal.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is exactly why owners would say you are wrong.  Imagine they pay out huge contract---loaded with signing bonus then this guy goes out with ACL and maybe he's never the same again.

That’s the risk these guys take though. If you refuse to sign the tag people hate on you and you’re looked at in a different way. If you do sign and this happens it could cost someone like Dupree 50+ million dollars. It causes unnecessary drama in the league. A case like Duprees will have most players with a halfway decent agent refusing to sign any franchise tags in the future. It’s only my opinion of course but I think the franchise tag needs to be looked at and updated. There’s better ways to handle expiring contracts of players. Sign and trades like the NBA, or maybe the franchise tag just expires before the draft or free agency. It was only meant as a placeholder to give teams more time negotiating a long term deal. I don’t think outside maybe kickers any player should have to play a season under that tag. It’s too risky 

21 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

That’s the risk these guys take though. If you refuse to sign the tag people hate on you and you’re looked at in a different way. If you do sign and this happens it could cost someone like Dupree 50+ million dollars. It causes unnecessary drama in the league. A case like Duprees will have most players with a halfway decent agent refusing to sign any franchise tags in the future. It’s only my opinion of course but I think the franchise tag needs to be looked at and updated. There’s better ways to handle expiring contracts of players. Sign and trades like the NBA, or maybe the franchise tag just expires before the draft or free agency. It was only meant as a placeholder to give teams more time negotiating a long term deal. I don’t think outside maybe kickers any player should have to play a season under that tag. It’s too risky 

Both the players and the owners take a financial risk any time they each sign any type of contract.  Players want to maximize reward, owners want to minimize risk.

Both sides, with every new CBA, agree to its existence, so it's still useful for both sides.  A player who has not impressed his current team enough to get the price he wants in his new contract gets fully guaranteed top 5 postion money for a year in which he can further prove his desired worth to his team.  If he doesn't and the tam doesn't tag him again, he is free to get what he wants--running the risk that it is less than he was offered by his last team (see: LeVeon Bell, who turned down 70 million form the Steelers, then turned down 14.5 tag money, then made no money for a year, then signed for 58 million with....the Jets). 

Players will sign tags.  They have little choice other than foolishly sit out a year (or accept offered long term deals before they are tagged).  Dupree is free to make as much money as someone may offer him next season, if he can play.   How is this system not working for him?  If he was not injured, nothing would have been different.  Either way he was not playing under a new contract, but the tag.  If a player is as good as the money he is asking for--he will get the contract he wants.  Happens all the time.  If not, he will get tagged.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

honestly, the steelers don't look like any kind of threat to me. not impressed at all as to who they have beat to this point and even the division match up yesterday against a depleted ravens roster they were not impressive in that win to me.

no, I'll go bold with this game and say the bills not only win, but win handily.

That’s a bit too bold. I’m not sure there has been a game the Bills have handily won. Too many times we’ve let weaker teams back in to games. Seattle may be the exception, but the Steelers aren’t a team to be overlooked even by Bills fans

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

That’s a bit too bold. I’m not sure there has been a game the Bills have handily won. Too many times we’ve let weaker teams back in to games. Seattle may be the exception, but the Steelers aren’t a team to be overlooked even by Bills fans

I just have a feeling they'll have a strong finish going in to the post season, continuing Sunday out west. again, the Steelers just don't look like a major threat to me and have had a pretty easy schedule playing the ravens tough both games other (nfce) then that, maybe blowing out the jags and the browns. I agree they shouldn't be overlooked, they've won 11 straight now with that Washington football team yet to play. so likely 12-0 before heading in to orchard park. I see a showcase of what's to come and that will be a Buffalo Bills team led by the fierce competitor that is Josh Allen up against a good Steelers team, led by old Big Ben. maybe a changing of the guard type of game and could meet again in the post season? I believe the defense is gaining ground each week, finishing strong and the offense will put together some big plays and they win handily.

Edited by A Firm Tree Does Not Fear

18 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Very arguably! Hes not that great. Bush was probably a bigger loss and they overcame that just fine. With that being said, God I hope we beat those #### dbagz to shut up their terrible fans.

I think the Bills shock the football world and beat either KC or Pitt to get to the Superbowl! Call me crazy...

I think Pittsburgh is over rated based on who they played. They said the same thing about us last year. People say with this injury we will be #2.. I personally put a 3 way tie at #2 with Tennessee Pittsburgh and us. Its that tight.

I just feel like we are going to end this season hot and hot teams go deep in playoffs.