Jump to content

We are the first team to beat the Chargers by more than one score this season.


Recommended Posts

It is strange to me that when the Bills win a game by 10 points, the general feeling nationally is that we are lucky to win, but when the Chiefs beat the Bucs by 3, they dominated them and let them back in during garbage time.  Every time I see the national media giving us credit, it seems to be begrudgingly, like they are waiting for us to fall apart at any minute, but they have to talk about us for now because we keep winning.  I am honestly not complaining about this, I get why it happens. It will take awhile to shake the image this team spent the past 20 plus years building, but I believe we are well on our way to changing that. I guess we will just have to continue enjoying being under-rated in the meantime.

 

Go Bills!

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I view the 3 turnovers in 7 plays as an anomaly.  I'm not sure if I've ever seen that happen.   When the Chiefs played the Chargers, they needed two 50+ yard FG's and overtime to beat them.  I wo

Most Chargers games came down to the very end.  Including the Chiefs game.  That is not mediocre.  They are just on the wrong side of the win column.  Obviously people would like to see less mistakes.

It is strange to me that when the Bills win a game by 10 points, the general feeling nationally is that we are lucky to win, but when the Chiefs beat the Bucs by 3, they dominated them and let them ba

Would you rather play like the Bills did and win by 10? Or play like the Chiefs did and win by 3? Which game was "closer" ?

 

The Chiefs were playing pretty close to flawless football against a pretty good team. They were up 27-10 before taking their foot off the gas and letting the Bucs back into the game. 

 

The Bills were playing pretty decent football (up until the 4th Quarter), against a fairly mediocre team (Chargers are talented, but have a bad record). I'm not trying to be too negative here, but we went into the 4th quarter up by 10, and then proceeded to turn the ball over 3 times on 7 offensive plays. We're very lucky the Chargers didn't turn those turnovers into more than 3 points (with all due respect to our defense). 

 

The way the Bills played would result in a win maybe 33% of the time. The way the Chiefs played would be a win about 95% of the time. 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Would you rather play like the Bills did and win by 10? Or play like the Chiefs did and win by 3? Which game was "closer" ?

 

The Chiefs were playing pretty close to flawless football against a pretty good team. They were up 27-10 before taking their foot off the gas and letting the Bucs back into the game. 

 

The Bills were playing pretty decent football (up until the 4th Quarter), against a fairly mediocre team (Chargers are talented, but have a bad record). I'm not trying to be too negative here, but we went into the 4th quarter up by 10, and then proceeded to turn the ball over 3 times on 7 offensive plays. We're very lucky the Chargers didn't turn those turnovers into more than 3 points (with all due respect to our defense). 

 

The way the Bills played would result in a win maybe 33% of the time. The way the Chiefs played would be a win about 95% of the time. 

 

 

 

I view the 3 turnovers in 7 plays as an anomaly.  I'm not sure if I've ever seen that happen.  

When the Chiefs played the Chargers, they needed two 50+ yard FG's and overtime to beat them.  I would say that has a win rate of about 33%.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think all anyone is saying here is that the Bills need to figure out how to not have 4-5 second half possessions in a row where we only have one scoring drive.

 

Against playoff caliber teams, you can typically figure that they will score on 2-3 of their possessions in that time frame, which constantly makes the game 1-2 scores closer, almost every second half.  

 

Now maybe our Defense is rounding into shape and we can hold teams off during a dry spell, but the easier way to ensure that we have a team built to advance in the Playoffs, is to have an Offense that becomes more consistent.

 

 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Would you rather play like the Bills did and win by 10? Or play like the Chiefs did and win by 3? Which game was "closer" ?

 

The Chiefs were playing pretty close to flawless football against a pretty good team. They were up 27-10 before taking their foot off the gas and letting the Bucs back into the game. 

 

The Bills were playing pretty decent football (up until the 4th Quarter), against a fairly mediocre team (Chargers are talented, but have a bad record). I'm not trying to be too negative here, but we went into the 4th quarter up by 10, and then proceeded to turn the ball over 3 times on 7 offensive plays. We're very lucky the Chargers didn't turn those turnovers into more than 3 points (with all due respect to our defense). 

 

The way the Bills played would result in a win maybe 33% of the time. The way the Chiefs played would be a win about 95% of the time. 

 

 

 

Most Chargers games came down to the very end.  Including the Chiefs game.  That is not mediocre.  They are just on the wrong side of the win column.  Obviously people would like to see less mistakes.  Your sentence about taking the foot off the gas after dominating a team has happened for the Bills in a few games.  Like the Rams.  Peoples outlook there was also the Bills were flawed and lucky to win.  

This team is two games shy right now of matching last seasons record with a way harder schedule than last season.  It would be one game if they could have stopped one hail mary. The Bills lead the division and are likely to win it for the first time in forever.  People still complain.  Half of this board said the Bills couldn't match it this year because the schedule was too tough.  Yet they are and those same people still dog the Bills.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

 

 

The way the Bills played would result in a win maybe 33% of the time. The way the Chiefs played would be a win about 95% of the time. 

 

 

I just don't feel that is the case.  I think we had a great game plan to beat them. Yes, there were some execution issues, and Joey Bosa made it very difficult to get the passing game going, but the Chargers are a better team than their record shows.  Thankfully our defense stepped up and kept it from burning us. They are a tough out and we beat them by 2 scores. My point is just that "just winning" is not enough for this team, there always seems to be an attitude of they won, but... Largely deserved, but other teams seem to be given more credit for ugly wins than we get.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I just don't feel that is the case.  I think we had a great game plan to beat them. Yes, there were some execution issues, and Joey Bosa made it very difficult to get the passing game going, but the Chargers are a better team than their record shows.  Thankfully our defense stepped up and kept it from burning us. They are a tough out and we beat them by 2 scores. My point is just that "just winning" is not enough for this team, there always seems to be an attitude of they won, but... Largely deserved, but other teams seem to be given more credit for ugly wins than we get.  

 

The COVID/Tenn/KC Primetime consecutive losses did a number on the perception of this team..

 

We've had a really tough schedule, and have beaten a lot of good teams, but the two best teams we've faced are probably those two, and we fell on our face in those two games.  

 

The media/public aren't Bills fans.. They don't care that Tennessee had 3 weeks to rest/prepare for us, while we went into that game without key players and generally seemed to have no desire to play.  They don't care that Josh Allen played hurt during that stretch.  Don''t care that our Defense was generally useless back then.  Don't care that we were in limbo for multiple weeks on who we play and when.  They just saw us play the two best teams on our schedule and not look very good in those losses.  

 

Ever since then we've basically been a "yea..but..." team.  We can change that narrative in December, for sure!                  

 

 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Would you rather play like the Bills did and win by 10? Or play like the Chiefs did and win by 3? Which game was "closer" ?

 

The Chiefs were playing pretty close to flawless football against a pretty good team. They were up 27-10 before taking their foot off the gas and letting the Bucs back into the game. 

 

 


The problem is you don’t take your foot off the gas when you are playing Tom Brady. Any coach in the NFL knows this and I don’t think the Chiefs purposely decided to lay back and get comfortable with their lead. What happened was there was a correction towards the mean in terms of play. The Chiefs aren’t perfect. The Bills aren’t either.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know that the general feeling nationally is that we were lucky against the Chargers. Gregg Rosenthal and co. on the Around the NFL Podcast talked positively about the Bills win—particularly the Defense doing a great job of making Herbert uncomfortable early and staying on him, and getting the run game going with over 170 yards. Nantz and Romo also got into a discussion about how good the AFC is this year, and I think it was Nantz that said something along the lines of, "don't forget the Bills. They probably don't get as much recognition as they deserve."

 

I think with the exception of the Steelers and Chiefs, every team that is currently in the playoffs (or in the hunt) has question marks that get brought up regularly by analysts, writers, etc.

That said, I have no faith in this team if a game comes down to a Hail Mary. 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MPL said:

I don't know that the general feeling nationally is that we were lucky against the Chargers. Gregg Rosenthal and co. on the Around the NFL Podcast talked positively about the Bills win—particularly the Defense doing a great job of making Herbert uncomfortable early and staying on him, and getting the run game going with over 170 yards. Nantz and Romo also got into a discussion about how good the AFC is this year, and I think it was Nantz that said something along the lines of, "don't forget the Bills. They probably don't get as much recognition as they deserve."

 

I think with the exception of the Steelers and Chiefs, every team that is currently in the playoffs (or in the hunt) has question marks that get brought up regularly by analysts, writers, etc.

That said, I have no faith in this team if a game comes down to a Hail Mary. 😆

 

Quality first post.

 

Someone just needs to tell the DB's to "knock it down" for sheets sake. They are trying to get the glory INT, when knocking it down is the correct play there.

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think all anyone is saying here is that the Bills need to figure out how to not have 4-5 second half possessions in a row where we only have one scoring drive.

 

Against playoff caliber teams, you can typically figure that they will score on 2-3 of their possessions in that time frame, which constantly makes the game 1-2 scores closer, almost every second half.  

 

Now maybe our Defense is rounding into shape and we can hold teams off during a dry spell, but the easier way to ensure that we have a team built to advance in the Playoffs, is to have an Offense that becomes more consistent.

 

 


The bigger question is - how do all units have a good 4 quarters of football?  It seems like in every game, there’s one unit that is effective enough to win and another unit that causes the game to be closer than it should be.
 

The one exception might be Seattle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SCBills said:

 

The COVID/Tenn/KC Primetime consecutive losses did a number on the perception of this team..

 

We've had a really tough schedule, and have beaten a lot of good teams, but the two best teams we've faced are probably those two, and we fell on our face in those two games.  

 

The media/public aren't Bills fans.. They don't care that Tennessee had 3 weeks to rest/prepare for us, while we went into that game without key players and generally seemed to have no desire to play.  They don't care that Josh Allen played hurt during that stretch.  Don''t care that our Defense was generally useless back then.  Don't care that we were in limbo for multiple weeks on who we play and when.  They just saw us play the two best teams on our schedule and not look very good in those losses.  

 

Ever since then we've basically been a "yea..but..." team.  We can change that narrative in December, for sure!                  

 

 

 

That and the fact that the B ills have been buried playing at 1pm and a 4:20 ( 😉 ) game out west.  People don't know not care about our Bills like we do.  Perceptions be damned...I for one and supremely happy to see the Bills where they are, likely to win a division in a gazillion years, winning games that "people" didn't think we would, overcoming HUGE obstacles.  Our Team is gonna shine......then they will get the recognition......but until then......just win baby!!!

 

GO BILLS!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and lets not forget that after the first 4 games the Media "brain trust" was hopping right onto the JA led Bills bandwagon and then.....the Bills had to play the Covids and then KC.  Covids game was super ugly and Chefs game was maddening as the Bills couldn't get out of their own way at times.  Fast forward 4 wins and one hail mary loss the wagon is slowly but surely getting some seats filled.....win this Monday nite and there will be a need to pump a bit more air in the tires......win against the Squealers and dang it skippy the Bills are gonna need a few more wagons!

 

One step at a time......GO BILLS! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

 

Most Chargers games came down to the very end.  Including the Chiefs game.  That is not mediocre.  They are just on the wrong side of the win column.  Obviously people would like to see less mistakes.  Your sentence about taking the foot off the gas after dominating a team has happened for the Bills in a few games.  Like the Rams.  Peoples outlook there was also the Bills were flawed and lucky to win.  

This team is two games shy right now of matching last seasons record with a way harder schedule than last season.  It would be one game if they could have stopped one hail mary. The Bills lead the division and are likely to win it for the first time in forever.  People still complain.  Half of this board said the Bills couldn't match it this year because the schedule was too tough.  Yet they are and those same people still dog the Bills.

 

So did this one. Had the Chargers chosen to kick some easy FGs this also would've been a 1 score game. 

 

The Bills took their foot off the gas against the Rams, and ended up needing last second heroics (and a borderline DPI call). The Chiefs took their foot off the gas against the Bucs.... and needed to run the clock out on their last possession. The Bills dropped to a 16% chance of winning that game. The Chiefs only dipped down to 84%. Pretty big difference there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

 

I view the 3 turnovers in 7 plays as an anomaly.  I'm not sure if I've ever seen that happen.  

When the Chiefs played the Chargers, they needed two 50+ yard FG's and overtime to beat them.  I would say that has a win rate of about 33%.

I believe that was Justin Herberts first start as well.

 

He is obviously way more polished now and much better, which made the matchup tougher for the bills.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

 

I view the 3 turnovers in 7 plays as an anomaly.  I'm not sure if I've ever seen that happen.  

When the Chiefs played the Chargers, they needed two 50+ yard FG's and overtime to beat them.  I would say that has a win rate of about 33%.

 

I feel like people are writing off the 3 turnovers in 7 plays because the Chargers didn't capitalize and it didn't cost us the game. 

 

This thread is about "narratives" and the narrative after the Chiefs/Chargers game was that the Chiefs survived and pulled out a win in a game that they really should have lost. 

 

OP was complaining that the narrative after this week is that the Chiefs "dominated" in a 3 point win, while the Bills "struggled" in a 10 point win. Having watched both games I agree with the narrative. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

It is strange to me that when the Bills win a game by 10 points, the general feeling nationally is that we are lucky to win, but when the Chiefs beat the Bucs by 3, they dominated them and let them back in during garbage time.  Every time I see the national media giving us credit, it seems to be begrudgingly, like they are waiting for us to fall apart at any minute, but they have to talk about us for now because we keep winning.  I am honestly not complaining about this, I get why it happens. It will take awhile to shake the image this team spent the past 20 plus years building, but I believe we are well on our way to changing that. I guess we will just have to continue enjoying being under-rated in the meantime.

 

Go Bills!

 

1. Because Brady 

 

2. where is the commentary on the Chargers? 

 

 

The Bills had THE most rushing yards against them with 172 combined yards

 

The Bills had limited them to 1 passing TD.  (same as KC and Carolina) 
The Bills defense provided Herbert's worst QB rating of the season of 58.82 (thus far)

The Bills had limited Herbert to his 2nd worst Comp %.  31 of 52

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The defense certainly played better and seem improved, but doesn't take away that it was a sloppy game.  Coaching mistakes by Lynn cost them a # of points.

 

The 172 yards rushing were almost all in the 4th (102 I think) & earlier rushing put the Bills in a # of holes.

 

The Bills after 2 huge 10 point wins are still only +17 net, which metrics say is closer to a 6.5 win team, and face it 2 are vs. The Jets.....  Yes yes, we haven't played Kax, like Cleveland, Pitt & Miami have......   

 

And if LAC scores on the last play, this thread is not here.....

Edited by Billsfan1972
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...