Should we give the Bills a pass vs. LAC???

Billsfan1972

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Entitled players does make coaching harder I agree, but other coaching staffs are doing a better job of it.

What football dream world do you live in? Sean has massive buy in with his players,  reading your posts is like a window on the past. You do you so well, please never stop 😂

Go Bills!!!

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

What will you complain about if we win a playoff game or two?  We are not ready yet to win a SB in all likelihood.  We don' t have the sustained pass rush to deal with Mahomes yet, and Josh is still learning although he's made tremendous strides this season.   But we will be a tough out for any of the other AFC teams.

McDermott has gotten the team to the playoffs 2 out of 3 seasons, and likely 3 out of 4.  I'm glad we have him.

Nah we need Mike Vrabel. Only his genius can find ways to lose to Cincinnati. Must not have his players coached up.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Is this where we list all the guys who we wish we had.... like Frank Reich and Mike Vrabel despite them having had demonstrably worse days than McDermott has had this year... where, just for a reminder, he has more wins against teams with winning records than any other coach and his losses have come against three teams who are a combined 24-9. 

Don’t confuse him with facts... he will just get upset, and dig his hole even deeper... 😂

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

People aren't wrong when they criticize the way we've been winning some of these games.  We're not beating KC playing like this, and teams like Pitt/Tenn will be a dog fight.  

The Defense is definitely rounding into shape, and they played really well yesterday.  That's now 3 solid games in a row, against top offenses, minus Hail Mary's.

The Running Game wore down LAC yesterday.  We need to get better at getting 4+ yard runs early in the game, but Moss/Singletary looked like a legit duo and the OL was opening up holes as the game got into the second half.   

Yesterday shouldn't have been close, but it was, because whether it's the Offense stalling for a quarter or a random flurry of turnovers yesterday, we haven't figured out how to dagger teams yet.  We're good enough to beat anyone, but we won't beat elite teams playing like we did yesterday.  

See I think earlier in the year when the D couldn't stop anyone I would have agreed "we can't beat the best teams playing like this." But our D playing like yesterday and our O even being at 80% and I think we can play with anyone. Just need to stop the silly turnovers and that is a far easier fix. There is an element of randomness there too on the fumbles.

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But do they deserve a pass?

Yeah- I will give em a pass 😜

52 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

After the 1st quarter, I went to the grocery store and ran some other errands.  I figured by the time I get back, KC might have 60 points.  Then I turned it back on....WTF happened?

Adjustments, execution lacking, etc etc 

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

People aren't wrong when they criticize the way we've been winning some of these games.  We're not beating KC playing like this, and teams like Pitt/Tenn will be a dog fight.  

The Defense is definitely rounding into shape, and they played really well yesterday.  That's now 3 solid games in a row, against top offenses, minus Hail Mary's.

The Running Game wore down LAC yesterday.  We need to get better at getting 4+ yard runs early in the game, but Moss/Singletary looked like a legit duo yesterday and the OL was opening up holes as the game got into the second half.  

Yesterday shouldn't have been close, but it was, because whether it's the Offense stalling for a quarter or a random flurry of turnovers yesterday, we haven't figured out how to dagger teams yet.  We're good enough to beat anyone, but we won't beat elite teams playing like we did yesterday.  

Should we dagger them like KC did yesterday against TB.  Or how about how the 8-3 Browns daggered the 1 win Jags.  Maybe we should re look at our win against the Pats and compare that to how the Cardinals did against that same depleted team?

This is the NFL - most games are close and most games end up as a 1 score affair.  The Chargers had been involved in 9 straight 1 score games.  The Bills 5 straight.  The Pats and Cards have also been in 5 straight.  It is the way of the NFL.

The difference is the Bills win the majority of these close games and the Chargers had lost.  Yesterday after the Bills got up - they maintained a 2 score lead most of the rest of the games and won by 10. For the Chargers that was a dagger - it was their worst loss of the season.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Should we dagger them like KC did yesterday against TB.  Or how about how the 8-3 Browns daggered the 1 win Jags.  Maybe we should re look at our win against the Pats and compare that to how the Cardinals did against that same depleted team?

This is the NFL - most games are close and most games end up as a 1 score affair.  The Chargers had been involved in 9 straight 1 score games.  The Bills 5 straight.  The Pats and Cards have also been in 5 straight.  It is the way of the NFL.

The difference is the Bills win the majority of these close games and the Chargers had lost.  Yesterday after the Bills got up - they maintained a 2 score lead most of the rest of the games and won by 10. For the Chargers that was a dagger - it was their worst loss of the season.

Their worst loss despite winning the turnover battle.  The Chargers have won the turnover battle 4 times this year:

1. A Win against Cincinnati 

2. An OT Loss to the Saints

3. A Win against Jax

4. A two score loss to the Bills

You will have to go back to week three when the Chargers turned the ball over 4 times to see when they were last held beneath 20 points.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I'm certainly not trying to downplay the fact that we're a really good team.  We're 8-3 against a very tough schedule.  

That said, KC has 1 loss and are the defending SB Champions.  I think it's fair to say that we need to become more consistent if we want to beat KC in the Playoffs.  We can't have a quarter of every game where our Offense just takes a nap.  It's a pattern, and it needs to stop. 

We have the talent, and our issues are fixable. 

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I am usually tough on the Bills and after yesterday's game, came away not very happy.  Mostly it is always about the offense & yesterday they were out of sync & Bosa just killed them.  Disjointed and just not a great game to watch.  

Concerned that they seem flat of late (outside of Seattle game).

As for the running game, really it only came to life late in the game, and while stats look good, it put them in a hole early in the game.  

Again want to see a really dominant game (heck look at Atl yesterday).

But this week I'll give them a pass.  However no excuse vs. SF 49'ers & looking ahead to the Steelers, or similar excuses. 

Why do we need to give them a pass? This is the worst loss by point total that the charges have had all season.

I just don't think people watched the same game as I did. The Bills had a comfortable lead and never trailed the entire game.

The one thing that wasn't fun to watch was the turnovers. But that happens sometimes and you know they will be focusing on fixing that now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Not falling on the fumble was stupid. He'll even say himself it was stupid and he has to do better. Yet, it's likely we'll see that stuff again this season...

You know, I think it's a mistake to second-guess the instincts of a professional football player too deeply from afar.

At the point where Josh picked the ball up, looks to me as though Linval Joseph is diving for it with Morse on top of him.  Josh doesn't pick it up, good chance Joseph gets it and Josh has 635 lbs of human smacking him in the head.  I think his instinct to pick up the ball there is correct.

image.thumb.png.81d56e43fb304b612a43025a91fceac5.png

The problem is then Josh drops it as he's trying to tuck it away.  After he picked it up out of there he should probably have thrown himself down with the ball and curled up around it.  But hard to say.

Critiquing Josh's fumble handling is more or less "lipstick on a pig" anyway.  The root problem is that the snap was botched.   It goes down as a fumble on Josh but I'm pretty sure it was snapped below his lower hand.   Morse said in his presser it was on him.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm certainly not trying to downplay the fact that we're a really good team.  We're 8-3 against a very tough schedule.  

That said, KC has 1 loss and are the defending SB Champions.  I think it's fair to say that we need to become more consistent if we want to beat KC in the Playoffs.  We can't have a quarter of every game where our Offense just takes a nap.  It's a pattern, and it needs to stop. 

We have the talent, and our issues are fixable. 

I don’t necessarily disagree, but the issue is every week a few teams do totally dominate, but it is rarely the same teams.  People act like KC just puts their foot on your throat and dominates and the truth is they have been highly lucky to win several games - including a game against this Chargers team that with a smidge better coaching handled KC most of the game.

People love to talk about the domination of the Titans, but then miss that they were destroyed a 2 win Bengal team just. Couple of weeks ago.  Or they say we can’t beat the Ravens, but suddenly everyone is beating the Ravens.  Even KC - which is a great team - goes through low points where they simply can’t move the ball and against TB got lucky that a few close penalties negated multiple Mahomes Ints that could of decided the game.

It happens to every team and no maybe we can’t have a quarter where our offense naps, but maybe as our defense gets better - we don’t need to be quite as aggressive and can still stack wins.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm so confused...... are we supposed to be sad they won in what some would say "Ugly" fashion?  This thread seems pretty downbrow especially since it wasnt a loss............maybe Bills fans dont really know how to handle winning games in the past they may have lost and need to gripe as if they did lose?

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Sorry if I can't get excited about 8-3.

I kind of feel you're likely the one who deserves pity.  Sorry for you.  I believe you are suffering from a serious case of BBFS.

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Eleven games in, I have seen ZERO improvement from this team as a whole. 

This might help

https://www.americasbest.com/store-list/tonawanda-ny-14150

The fact is, of the NFL's 8 divisions, two of them are currently a dead heat on W's and two of them are a 1 game lead.  Two others are a 2 game lead.  That's life in the NFL Parity Era.

I see solid positive steps on defense since the KC game.  I'm honestly puzzled as to what you're looking at to see ZERO improvement.

4 minutes ago, Muppy said:

I'm so confused...... are we supposed to be sad they won in what some would say "Ugly" fashion?  This thread seems pretty downbrow especially since it wasnt a loss............maybe Bills fans dont really know how to handle winning games in the past they may have lost and need to gripe as if they did lose?

LOL Muppy, welcome to the land of the "moral loss".  Strange place, isn't it?

This team is good -- I don't believe it to be SB good yet -- but it's good and probably the most competent execution of NFL football on a Bills team in almost 20 years (things started looking up in 2017, so I'm excluding the McD years in my assessment).  The game yesterday was kinda sloppy, but still -- they won, and they're in the thick of it.  I'm probably over parsing here, but why does one feel the need to give one's team a pass -- if they won, and not even in a fluky way?

Edited by Groin

Some people can't put in perspective that the Bills are not having to climb a 2-3 score deficit this year in basically any game except the Titans debacle after 11 games. Until they realize what above actually means nothing will change from the TBD  Debbie downers.

If the O can continue to average 27pts a game and the D can average giving up 17pts like last year and yesterday, the Bills are a very scary team in the playoffs.

I've been waiting for this D to turn and hit its peak right before the playoffs. I'm so happy to see the D turn the corner and play to their potential again. 

This can be big time for us!

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It was tongue in cheek....  Just that they seemed off after the bye and did not seem sharp.

It was too a game they could not afford to lose.  

The running game (outside Josh was not particularly good until the 4th...

??????

How many points did we score in this game asking for a friend