New Addition to Top 10 Bills Losses

corta765

12 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Saw it and Everett happened which may be why I don't ever list it or it didn't feel as bad. At that point football was secondary.

What bothered me about the Denver game was the series before the Bills punted.  They ran twice to make Denver use their TO's, then Jauron, Mr. Conservative, dials up a bomb to Lee Evans on 3rd down which was incomplete, stopping the clock and saving Denver's last timeout.  Bills just run the ball there, Denver has to use their last TO, and they never have the time to run the FG team on the field.  OTOH, it would have ruined Dickie J's 7-9 run, he would have finished 8-8 that year.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, corta765 said:

As I said at the top I am 32 and was 1 and 1/2 years old.. don't remember it, this is based off what I have seen. If I saw 25 or Harmon def would be at the top.

Saw it and Everett happened which may be why I don't ever list it or it didn't feel as bad. At that point football was secondary.

I actually walked home from the stadium after Denver made that kick I was so disgusted.  It started pouring rain about 5 minutes into my walk.  Walking down southwestern pretty inebriated and depressed I decided to get out of the rain & stop in at Zebs for a burger.  I looked like such a defeated homeless person reeking of booze at that point when I was waiting to sit down the manager actually asked me to show some money before they sat me down.  Looking back, I probably should of been more offended by that then I was but at that point I just didn't care.  I finally got home around 7 at night, my wife was worried sick.  She asked where I was.  I told her "I was mad the Bills loss so I decided to walk home."  She told me to grow up.  To this day she doesn't understand my passion for the Bills.  

But that game hurt, wouldn't put it in the top 5 but it hurt nonetheless.  It was jay Cutlers & Marshawn Lynch's first game as rookies.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gordio said:

I actually walked home from the stadium after Denver made that kick I was so disgusted.  It started pouring rain about 5 minutes into my walk.  Walking down southwestern pretty inebriated and depressed I decided to get out of the rain & stop in at Zebs for a burger.  I looked like such a defeated homeless person reeking of booze at that point when I was waiting to sit down the manager actually asked me to show some money before they sat me down.  Looking back, I probably should of been more offended by that then I was but at that point I just didn't care.  I finally got home around 7 at night, my wife was worried sick.  She asked where I was.  I told her "I was mad the Bills loss so I decided to walk home."  She told me to grow up.  To this day she doesn't understand my passion for the Bills.  

But that game hurt, wouldn't put it in the top 5 but it hurt nonetheless.  It was jay Cutlers & Marshawn Lynch's first game as rookies.

Lol I have been told similar, yesterday I just shelled up and stopped talking once that happened I didn't even know what to say.

44 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m not always the most optimistic fan, but to me that loss was due to a great play by a great WR.  I don’t think you could ask for better coverage by the defense.  Murray’s scrambling to allow that final throw was pretty impressive as well.  Bills played well enough to win and got beat by a stellar play.  I can accept that kind of loss.

It is also the kind of loss that can fuel the Bills to play more ruthlessly. They keep letting teams back into games, I think, because they have not developed a ruthless ability to put teams away. This is the type of sting that can fuel that fire.

Couple of others:

"Just give it to 'em"

The 19-17 Cheats game where Dickie J goes for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG on the Cheats 5 yard line, and Willis McGahee gets stopped.  Asked in the post-game presser what happened on 4th down, Willis McGahee replies, "It was 4th down?"  I've hated Willis McGahee from that day forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

As someone who lives down south, i'll go ahead and assume that this is what it feels like to be a Falcons fan.

I was too young to grasp the SB losses, so this is easily one of the worst losses i've ever experienced in my life.

31 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You forgot Denver scrambling their FG team on the field with 10 seconds left to kick the winning FG with like :01 left on the clock.

And then the sky opened up and dumped on us as we all walked by to our cars disappointed and confused. It was before smart phones so no one had any idea about Everett or how we lost the game

• Like (+1) 1

I thought it was a super exciting game. An instant classic for Cardinals fans. Yeah, it sucks to lose, but we were treated with fine entertainment up until the clock read 0.00. Both teams fought hard and the Cardinals stole it in the final moments with a miraculous catch (one of the best I've ever seen).

I guess I'm not so gut wrenched like some of you. Our offense is good, our defense is getting better. We stood toe to toe with one of the best offenses in the league and should have won it. There were things that were not fun to see (Allen INT's) but overall I'm satisfied that the team went out and performed. And I know the Bills can hang with any team in the league.

31 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You forgot Denver scrambling their FG team on the field with 10 seconds left to kick the winning FG with like :01 left on the clock.

Which was also the Kevin Everett game. 

And the night my bands opening band for years got Best New Artist award at the VMAs. A baddddd day for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m not always the most optimistic fan, but to me that loss was due to a great play by a great WR.  I don’t think you could ask for better coverage by the defense.  Murray’s scrambling to allow that final throw was pretty impressive as well.  Bills played well enough to win and got beat by a stellar play.  I can accept that kind of loss.

I totally agree.  The whole "why didn't they knock it down?" seems a little crazy to me because all three defenders played it awfully well and the best receiver in the game just made a great play.  There is plenty to be extremely ticked off about in the game but that play shouldn't be #1.

37 minutes ago, MJS said:

I guess I'm not so gut wrenched like some of you. Our offense is good, our defense is getting better. We stood toe to toe with one of the best offenses in the league and should have won it. There were things that were not fun to see (Allen INT's) but overall I'm satisfied that the team went out and performed. And I know the Bills can hang with any team in the league.

I am past the point of moral victories and "its nice we were toe to toe". We are in year 3 with Allen the expectations need to be higher, year 2 was about being close, now its about winning consistently in big moments. Some might say that is unrealistic, but the goal is to win at this point and the clock is ticking on contracts etc... there is no time anymore for close moral losses.

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

I think I am in the 4th stage of depression which is acceptance, either way I am trying to wash yesterday as quickly as possible and some of that is revisiting the crappy past and laughing. Cardinals game successfully broke itself onto my worst list which I have below:

Worst losses:

1. 04 Steelers

2. 07 Cowboys

3. 99 Music City

4. 20 Cardinals (new addition yay lol)

5. 09 Patriots

6. 10 Steelers (dammit Stevie)

7. 07 Patriots (SNF)

8. 19 Texans

9. 08 Browns (wide left)
10. 09 Browns 6-3 

I am 32 so I do not remember the SBs or 89 Harmon drop etc.. just what I have seen.

Of the time period you mention, Music City is #1,2, and 3 of worst losses.  It ended the Bills decade plus run of good football, and ultimately lead to the disfunction that created most of the losses on your list.

Need to see how this season ends to know how bad this loss ranks in Bills history.

7 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I am past the point of moral victories and "its nice we were toe to toe". We are in year 3 with Allen the expectations need to be higher, year 2 was about being close, now its about winning consistently in big moments. Some might say that is unrealistic, but the goal is to win at this point and the clock is ticking on contracts etc... there is no time anymore for close moral losses.

I don't care about moral victories. I really don't. But I refuse to do the idiotic pendulum swing every week after a win or a loss.

This is a good football team. Good football teams lose sometimes. Sometimes Hail Mary's work.

If you and others want to be miserable for that and refuse to look at the season as a whole, that's your problem.

• Like (+1) 1

I mean...the WAY it happened hurts....but so far as bad losses that mattered? Every Superbowl, every playoff loss, every last week game that kept us from getting into the playoffs, etc etc are worse than this by tons.

It's a PAINFUL loss to an NFC team. There is plenty of season left and we are still in first place. We'll bounce back.

I just wish we could bounce back THIS week actually.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I don't care about moral victories. I really don't. But I refuse to do the idiotic pendulum swing every week after a win or a loss.

This is a good football team. Good football teams lose sometimes. Sometimes Hail Mary's work.

If you and others want to be miserable for that and refuse to look at the season as a whole, that's your problem.

I didn't say the season is over and fire everyone... i did that on twitter last night as I calmed down lol. My point is they are a decent to good team, they have opportunity but they haven't won anything and the time is now. Games like this can comeback and be the reason you don't win the division or your playing BAL instead of IND. I'd say that is a pretty optimistic way to view things but also real because the expectations are higher. Last year was about taking the step of being a regular playoff team and moral wins, this year I want them to take the next step to being a contender and that isn't easy either. The best thing about the season is I have zero doubt if Josh has the ball at the end he can win the game late, that is a security blanket you can't replicate.

1 hour ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Which was also the Kevin Everett game. 

And the night my bands opening band for years got Best New Artist award at the VMAs. A baddddd day for sure. 

Yeah, but no one ever heard from Gym Class Heroes again. Whereas here you are, 13 years later, with literally dozens of us reading your posts! :thumbsup:

28 minutes ago, MJS said:

Right on.

I've tried to start threads and make posts to help others keep perspective as we finish out the year. Saying "If we go 4-4 the second half, we still finish 10-6 and likely take the division". Meaning: prepare to lose as much as we win. Dont get too high or too low, and just hang on and enjoy the ride.

Wont even come here on Sundays after the games, win or lose. The takes are just too fresh and piping hot.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

Lol I have been told similar, yesterday I just shelled up and stopped talking once that happened I didn't even know what to say.

Yeah I don't take the losses as hard anymore.  I am 48 and have been a Bills fan since Kelly's first year so I have seen it all.  I tend to look on the bright side now.  We are 7-3, in great shape & I am 99% sure we finally got our guy in Allen.  This kid is going to bring us home the Lombardi trophy soon, maybe not this year but soon.  I haven't felt this good about the bills since the super bowl years.  

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

I think I am in the 4th stage of depression which is acceptance, either way I am trying to wash yesterday as quickly as possible and some of that is revisiting the crappy past and laughing. Cardinals game successfully broke itself onto my worst list which I have below:

Worst losses:

1. 04 Steelers

2. 07 Cowboys

3. 99 Music City

4. 20 Cardinals (new addition yay lol)

5. 09 Patriots

6. 10 Steelers (dammit Stevie)

7. 07 Patriots (SNF)

8. 19 Texans

9. 08 Browns (wide left)
10. 09 Browns 6-3 

I am 32 so I do not remember the SBs or 89 Harmon drop etc.. just what I have seen.

I don't see how this can be in the top 8 as it's a regular season game against an NFC opponent.  We are still in the drivers seat for our division.  Playoff losses on the last play should be first, then any gut wrenching losses to division foes, then AFC.  Yesterday was terrible, but I'm just going to care about it once we win the division