Josh Allen in Sports Illustrated

Shaw66
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

I didn't see anything posted here about the article about Josh Allen in Sports Illustrated.   It doesn't seem to be available at their website; I think you have to have the print version to see it.  I think it was in last week's SI, or possibly the week before. 

It's a full-fledged SI feature about him, starting with a great description of the face-mask sack he took against the Rams before winning the game.   It's a really positive article, describing how awesome he is physically and how much progress he's made working with Palmer each off-season.  Also a funny comment from Beane about preparing to face the press after they drafted Allen.  

If you can get your hands on it, it's worth the read.   Serious, positive national attention. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't see anything posted here about the article about Josh Allen in Sports Illustrated.   It doesn't seem to be available at their website; I think you have to have the print version to see it.  I think it was in last week's SI, or possibly the week before. 

It's a full-fledged SI feature about him, starting with a great description of the face-mask sack he took against the Rams before winning the game.   It's a really positive article, describing how awesome he is physically and how much progress he's made working with Palmer each off-season.  Also a funny comment from Beane about preparing to face the press after they drafted Allen.  

If you can get your hands on it, it's worth the read.   Serious, positive national attention. 

Do you recall the cover/cover story?  Might help tracking it down easier.

• Like (+1) 1

"Buffalo's turning to Allen, after conservative Tyrod Taylor, was like waving goodbye to the kiddie roller coaster and hopping on the screamer that barely passes its daily inspections. If the last generation of great passers was typified by world-class surgeons-- Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees-- diagnosing defenses and dissecting them with painstaking precision, Allen arrives in the operating room with a hunting knife and a bottle of Wild Turkey." ..... LOLOL. oh man thats good.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Haha (+1) 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you get Apple news+ you get Sports illustrated  For $10 a month along with a whole bunch of other newspapers and magazines. You can cancel at any time I believe you get the first month free.  I feel it is a really good deal because of the amount of online magazines they have. 

26 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Thanks for the headsup! GF works in a library so she should be able to copy the pages for me. 

My gf works in a dentist office so she should be able to steal it for me in about 6 years when then they get new magazines. Can't wait!

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 18

8 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

My gf works in a dentist office so she should be able to steal it for me in about 6 years when then they get new magazines. Can't wait!

no more magazines in the waiting room bro!   in fact, no waiting room.  thanks covid!

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Can you give the issue number and date?

38 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

"Buffalo's turning to Allen, after conservative Tyrod Taylor, was like waving goodbye to the kiddie roller coaster and hopping on the screamer that barely passes its daily inspections. If the last generation of great passers was typified by world-class surgeons-- Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees-- diagnosing defenses and dissecting them with painstaking precision, Allen arrives in the operating room with a hunting knife and a bottle of Wild Turkey." ..... LOLOL. oh man thats good.

Yeah, isn't that great?!

As I said, I also loved the description of the face-mask sack.  It sounds like a description of a comic book superhero storming though super-villains. 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The one where Allen was sacked, or the one where Allen drew a (well deserved) face mask penalty?

Oh, yeah, he wasn't sacked.  He threw it away.   Yes, the face-mask play.   

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, that play was eye opening.   The announcers were stunned.  Finally one of them said: "that's one Strong Dude"

He showed that strength again Sunday.  I don't remember exactly what happened, but Allen had taken a short drop and drifted to his left a bit.  Some defensive lineman broke through and Allen just held him off with his arm until Allen could move away from him.  

He's just an over-sized athlete.  Plays with the agility and finesse of a guy four inches shorter and 40 pound lighter.   He's a linebacker playing like a quarterback.  

One thing the article said is that Allen studies Rodgers.  He calls Rodgers the most physically gifted QB he's ever seen.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, isn't that great?!

As I said, I also loved the description of the face-mask sack.  It sounds like a description of a comic book superhero storming though super-villains. 

Thanks for the heads up on this article! I own and operate a gym and i've subscribed to SI for years now, never really reading them and just tossing the old ones regularly. The same would have happened to this one due to the Golf themed cover. haha.... I'm thinking i'll put this one in the filing cabinet for safe keeping though.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

What was the funny comment from Beane about preparing to face the press after they drafted him?  

14 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

What was the funny comment from Beane about preparing to face the press after they drafted him?  

"At Buffalo's facility in Orchard Park, the GM headed downsairs to the media room, all fired up.  'The looks on some of their faces, I'll never forget it," says Beane. 'It was like I had just screwed everything up.'

'Listen,' he promised, ' you're going to love him.'"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

"At Buffalo's facility in Orchard Park, the GM headed downsairs to the media room, all fired up.  'The looks on some of their faces, I'll never forget it," says Beane. 'It was like I had just screwed everything up.'

'Listen,' he promised, ' you're going to love him.'"

Not laugh-out-loud funny, but funny in the sense that McBeane knew exactly what they were doing, and so much of the rest of the world, including people in the Giants' and Browns' front offices, and the media, didn't.  I mean, if you put together a 2019-2020 Josh Allen highlight film, or better, all-22, would anyone in his right mind take Mayfield over Allen or Barkley over Allen?

The simple fact is Beane knows what he's doing.   Isn't always right, but understanding who Allen was puts him way ahead of the average GM.  It was no less brilliant than Andy Reid trading up for Mahomes.  Reid knew what he had. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm really hoping he shows out this week and vs Arizona. 

He showed out this past Sunday against the Patriots.

He just showed out in a different way.  The Patriots said, "we believe you will come out slinging it, and we will bait you into mistakes"

Here's what they were running for defensive coverage:

In addition, the Patriots were doing a lot of what Jim Kubiak of TBN called "the Amoeba defense", which I've never heard called that, but whatever you call it: they only have one guy with his hand on the ground.  Everyone else is standing up and daring the QB to figure out if they're rushing or dropping in coverage.

It's a front that makes it difficult for the OL to protect and difficult for the QB to throw to short and over the middle because he doesn't know who will be dropping in coverage and who will be pressuring.  As I understand it, in one variant the Pats run, the defenders themselves don't know; anyone who is blocked immediately drops into coverage.

It's a *****-you defense.  It says "you can't run worth *****, so we're going to FSU (in the non university sense) on your passing game and to Hell with gap discipline.

Josh Allen and the Bills said "***** you back, Hot News: we're gonna run anyway"

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
added link to Kubiak article
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

From promo:

Josh Allen was the ultimate boom-or-bust draft prospect, and three years later he’s booming in Buffalo. Greg Bishop looks at the Josh Allen Experience: how his unique combination of size, speed, and arm strength and his adventurous, gunslinging style has made the quarterback one of the NFL’s breakout stars.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201028005143/en/Bryson-DeChambeau-Lands-First-Sports-Illustrated-Cover-Golf’s-Most-Aggressive-Star-Aiming-to-‘Break-Golf’-as-He-Prepares-for-the-Masters

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He showed out this past Sunday against the Patriots.

He just showed out in a different way.  The Patriots said, "we believe you will come out slinging it, and we will bait you into mistakes"

Here's what they were running for defensive coverage:

In addition, the Patriots were doing a lot of what Jim Kubiak of TBN called "the Amoeba defense", which I've never heard called that, but whatever you call it: they only have one guy with his hand on the ground.  Everyone else is standing up and daring the QB to figure out if they're rushing or dropping in coverage.

It's a front that makes it difficult for the OL to protect and difficult for the QB to throw to short and over the middle because he doesn't know who will be dropping in coverage and who will be pressuring.  As I understand it, in one variant the Pats run, the defenders themselves don't know; anyone who is blocked immediately drops into coverage.

It's a *****-you defense.  It says "you can't run worth *****, so we're going to FSU (in the non university sense) on your passing game and to Hell with gap discipline.

Josh Allen and the Bills said "***** you back, Hot News: we're gonna run anyway"

Thanks for the data and the comments.  I didn't know how often they had 6-7 DBs on the field - this tells us.  

More importantly, I think, is your comments about what happened when Belichick did that.   What happened is that Allen looked at it and said "I got this."   He really looked calm all the way through.  I go back to the Davis the drop - Josh was completely plugged in on that play.   

People have commented in the past about the look on Josh's face in the fourth quarter of the playoff game.  It's a look we had seen before, a look that said "Whoa, all of a sudden this isn't fun and games.  This is serious, and I'm not sure I'm ready."   Well, so far this season, that look is gone.   This season, he's ready.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Thanks for the data and the comments.  I didn't know how often they had 6-7 DBs on the field - this tells us.  

More importantly, I think, is your comments about what happened when Belichick did that.   What happened is that Allen looked at it and said "I got this."   He really looked calm all the way through.  I go back to the Davis the drop - Josh was completely plugged in on that play.   

People have commented in the past about the look on Josh's face in the fourth quarter of the playoff game.  It's a look we had seen before, a look that said "Whoa, all of a sudden this isn't fun and games.  This is serious, and I'm not sure I'm ready."   Well, so far this season, that look is gone.   This season, he's ready.  

Realize a big part of it was Daboll's game plan.  They set out determined to run.  Daboll's Monday presser is revealing - at one point he says at Friday's practice, they practiced something 50 run plays and 2 pass plays (!!!)  I'm sure there were a few more in the game plan since obviously, we did pass more than twice, but the point of emphasis was clear.

Daboll is doing a better job this season of giving Josh Allen answers and a gameplan he is able to execute.  There have been times where Allen didn't "get with the program" completely and the Bills offense struggled for it.

If you have time, listen to Daboll's interviews after different games.  Pay attention to what he does and does not say about Josh in each one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Realize a big part of it was Daboll's game plan.  They set out determined to run.  Daboll's Monday presser is revealing - at one point he says at Friday's practice, they practiced something 50 run plays and 2 pass plays (!!!)  I'm sure there were a few more in the game plan since obviously, we did pass more than twice, but the point of emphasis was clear.

Daboll is doing a better job this season of giving Josh Allen answers and a gameplan he is able to execute.  There have been times where Allen didn't "get with the program" completely and the Bills offense struggled for it.

If you have time, listen to Daboll's interviews after different games.  Pay attention to what he does and does not say about Josh in each one.

Thanks.  Those are good points. 

But don't you think that the look on Josh's face is different?   His behavior?   I kept watching him at the line of scrimmage.   Standing a step behind the center, looking over the defense.  When he changed plays, he knew what he wanted, and he communicated calmly with his teammates.   You could see him glance up the play clock to be sure he was still good.   He looks like a guy who has a job to do and who knows how to do it.  

Same thing in the pocket post-snap.  What I really like is his judgment about staying in or bailing out.  Several times on Sunday I was thinking "get out," and he'd stay.  He'd slip a tackle, side step, whatever, make the throw, and sometimes take a hit.   What he was doing was waiting for something he knew would happen, for a receiver to clear a zone, make a cut, whatever, and he was also determining whether he had time to wait.   He knows how to do that now, how to make those judgments.  

He gives me a general sense of being under control.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

But don't you think that the look on Josh's face is different?   His behavior?   I kept watching him at the line of scrimmage.   Standing a step behind the center, looking over the defense.  When he changed plays, he knew what he wanted, and he communicated calmly with his teammates.   You could see him glance up the play clock to be sure he was still good.   He looks like a guy who has a job to do and who knows how to do it.  

Same thing in the pocket post-snap.  What I really like is his judgment about staying in or bailing out.  Several times on Sunday I was thinking "get out," and he'd stay.  He'd slip a tackle, side step, whatever, make the throw, and sometimes take a hit.   What he was doing was waiting for something he knew would happen, for a receiver to clear a zone, make a cut, whatever, and he was also determining whether he had time to wait.   He knows how to do that now, how to make those judgments.  

In general, Yes, I agree.  I think there have been times - vs. the Titans, who have some Patriots elements to their D - vs. KC - when Josh wasn't sure where his answers were and was forcing the ball vs. zone.  He settled down a bit into the Titans game (unfortunately, after the INT off Roberts and the long punt return put us into a hole) and the 2nd half of the KC game.  But in general, Josh has taken a huge step at decoding the D and understanding what that means for his answers.

Daboll did a better job of giving him answers for this soft zone stuff in the Jets game, but (I think) got a bit mad at him for not taking them a few times or not audibling to a different play as he should have.  You can read between the lines of what he says in his Monday pressers.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In general, Yes, I agree.  I think there have been times - vs. the Titans, who have some Patriots elements to their D - vs. KC - when Josh wasn't sure where his answers were and was forcing the ball vs. zone.  He settled down a bit into the Titans game (unfortunately, after the INT off Roberts and the long punt return put us into a hole) and the 2nd half of the KC game.  But in general, Josh has taken a huge step at decoding the D and understanding what that means for his answers.

Daboll did a better job of giving him answers for this soft zone stuff in the Jets game, but (I think) got a bit mad at him for not taking them a few times or not audibling to a different play as he should have.  You can read between the lines of what he says in his Monday pressers.

Can't agree more.

In regard to "check with me" plays. Josh did a real solid job against New England getting us to the right play.  Off hand, I remember the John Brown tunnel screen and Josh checking to Moss a couple times, including the end of 3rd quarter run that the Pats looked like they weren't expecting us to run a play before quarter expired

28 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

his pocket presence and feel for pressure is really amazing. He’s so calm in the pocket now. 

• Like (+1) 1

OK, after striking out on my public library's apps, I found I can get SI to read on the ipad Kindle app for 1 month free, $20/yr afterwards.

Def. worth a read. 

So far a few little flaws: "with several games each season impacted by winds that can gust around 15 mph"  🤣

Sonny, in WNY we call that 15 mph stuff "the breeze".  Try 30-50, three zero to five zero.

"Teammates who know the QB for the magic tricks - yes, actual magic tricks - he performs in the locker room find him Houdini adjacent on the field, too." (also tells Dad jokes and Nae naes)

Beane's description of the Rams facemask penalty: "It looked like a bar fight.  Like he was being jumped and he's got one hand tied behind his back.  When [dude] gets close, Josh goes "I'm going to sling him" and he rag-dolled him."  Which is to say: Josh Allen did something unlike anyone in football has seen.  Again.

Yep, The Josh Allen Experience.  Unpredictable.

• Like (+1) 2