Jump to content

Ok This Dolphins talk is getting out of hand.


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Dolphins have the #1 scoring defense (points per game allowed) and among top ranked special teams.

 

This is why the beat the Rams with little resistance despite a rookie QB having a less than stellar start and not doing much on offense. They are simply built the way all good teams who get hot and make deep playoff runs every year do.

 

They've also won each of their games by 10+ points which is something the Bills haven't done this season. Best margin of victory was 10 points against the worst team in the league in week one.

 

If the Bills lose this week and the Dolphins win they'll be tied in the loss column with the Bills having played one more game not having their bye yet.

 

I know it's hard for some Bills to fathom especially after the first month of the season when the Bills looked like a possible SB team including beating these same Dolphins in the process but just remember it's not how you start, it's how you finish so nobody will be shocked at the final division standings this year.

So the Bills have played great then so so for a few weeks. You imply that the last three weeks of play by the Dolphins is going to continue. No doubt no question. And the Bills meanwhile will continue to play poorly. It’s a long season. The phins have had a nice run. They are playing a tough game at AZ with a rookie QB. It’s as if they are going to sustain this level of play and get all the turnovers. While the Bills who now it appears will have the benefit of two good weather games and a bye are simply not capable of improving. Let’s discuss in four weeks. I’m thinking by your assessment the Dolphins will be in first place by then. 

Edited by QLBillsFan
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That must have been written by some guy with a high football IQ!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/week-8-takeaways-give-it-up-for-the-dolphins-the-best-team-in-the-afc-east-183728407.html   Week 8 takeaways: The Dolphins are the best team in the AFC East

How is it we have one win in our last 4 weeks, yet we are 6-2?

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please look at the overall team stats.  When you allow the opponent more first downs on an almost 4:1 ratio, more 3rd down conversions, 250 more yards of offense, 13 minutes more TOP - I don't understand how "destroyed" is the appropriate adjective.

 

The Dolphins have great ST and they scored 7 off a punt return and another 7 off a fumble recovery taken in for a TD.  There's absolutely skill involved there - the Dolphins did manage to confuse and bemuse Goff to the tune of 2 picks that resulted field position at the Rams 33 and the Rams 8 yd line and another 14 points.  There's skill involved there, too. 

 

But it's not skill that's going to yield 28 points every week.

 

The Dolphins may be right there if they stick with Tua.  But the 14 points they scored from 33 and 8 yd line wouldn't have won them that game, much less a game against another team that doesn't make as many mistakes.  Tua has to show he can play QB in the NFL, and no offense (see what I did there?) to him (when your D and your ST score points, they count), he hasn't yet done so.

 

I agree that punt returns/defensive touchdowns are not a sustainable way to win games.  But neither is counting on a practice squad call-up to punch the ball out, just before the opponent scores the winning touchdown.  

 

The Dolphins are playing WAY BETTER than the Bills right now.  They have been playing better for well over a month now.  And honestly, it's not even close.

Anyone who denies that... either hasn't been paying attention around the rest of the NFL, is only looking at the standings, or is just willingly blind to the truth.

 

They held the Rams to 17 points (most of which came after they got out to a huge lead).  They destroyed the the 49ers 43-17.  They hung with the Seahawks until late in the 4th Quarter.  They blew-out the Jets -- which is the standard for everyone in the league except us.

 

The AFC East is not wrapped up, by any means.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

So the Bills have played great then so so for a few weeks. You imply that the last three weeks of play by the Dolphins is going to continue. No doubt no question. And the Bills meanwhile will continue to play poorly. It’s a long season. The phins have had a nice run. They are playing a tough game at AZ with a rookie QB. It’s as if they are going to sustain this level of play and get all the turnovers. While the Bills who now it appears will have the benefit of two good weather games and a bye are simply not capable of improving. Let’s discuss in four weeks. I’m thinking by your assessment the Dolphins will be in first place by then. 

 

All I'm saying is that the the available data right now points to the Dolphins being the better team (at present) despite the respective win/loss records and division standings. And yes if the current trends hold up the Dolphins will be in first and sole possession of the division in the next month.

 

Of course this doesn't mean it's set and stone and will hold, the Bills very well may start to player better and the Dolphins could be peaking....but again the bigger concerns at present are:

 

1) Common opponent performance - The Dolphins beat the Jets 24-0 without doing much of anything in the 2nd half and the next week we were trailing into the 2nd half against the same Jets team and only won 18-10. We beat the Rams 35-32 on a questionable 4th down PI call. Where the Dolphins dominated in a game that was over at halftime.

2) Week 2 deep dive - take nothing away from Josh Allen, but it took a career 400+ yard game and recovering an onside kick to beat the Dolphins in week 2. Odds say that under the same circumstances we lose that same game 9 out of 10 times because of how rare it is for any QB to post those kind of numbers.

 

Yes this is a hated division rival but there's nothing wrong with being unbiased and saying that right now they are the better team in a week to week NFL league. The good news is we don't have to play them again until the season finale which very well could be for the division title or a win and get in WC spot for each respective team.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

 

Sweet baby jesus....that there is sum fuzzy math.

 

It's actually an in depth explanation of something you should be able to do in your head since like the 4th grade. Just saying. Why I am even having to explain this is beyond me.

Edited by matter2003
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

So the Bills have played great then so so for a few weeks. You imply that the last three weeks of play by the Dolphins is going to continue. No doubt no question. And the Bills meanwhile will continue to play poorly. It’s a long season. The phins have had a nice run. They are playing a tough game at AZ with a rookie QB. It’s as if they are going to sustain this level of play and get all the turnovers. While the Bills who now it appears will have the benefit of two good weather games and a bye are simply not capable of improving. Let’s discuss in four weeks. I’m thinking by your assessment the Dolphins will be in first place by then. 

 

The Bills have not played "great" at any point this season.  Certainly not for a full 4 quarters on both sides of the ball.

Only one of their wins (Week 1 against the Jets) was by more than a single score.

 

Their offense played great the first 3-4 games, and has been average (at best) ever since.  The passing game is trending in the wrong direction, by virtually every metric.  That includes Josh Allen and the wide receivers.

 

Their defense has been dreadful, outside of maybe a few quarters.  The first half of the first Jets game.  The 4th quarter of the Raiders game.  The second half of the second Jets game.  The first half of the Patriots game.  Out of the 32 quarters they have played, the defense has been terrible in about 25 of them.

 

I would like to believe they can improve.  But we are now at the midpoint of the season.  Time is running out.  The Bills look like a team with an average offense and a bad defense, which has been fortunate enough to get some lucky calls (Rams) and well-timed turnovers (Raiders, Patriots).  They have also played the Jets twice already.  All signs are pointing towards a VERY ugly second half for this team.

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJS said:

Well that's pretty silly. If you add 1.5 wins to the Dolphins we are still .5 wins ahead of them.

 

It should be simple. We are 2 wins ahead of them. Period. And we have the tie breaker since we beat them.

 

Except it isn't that simple.  Because they have an extra game in hand that could either be a loss or a win. Which means that when they do play it, they will either be 1 full game behind or 2 full games behind. But until then it is an unknown so it is counted as a half game since it could go either way.  Do you never look at baseball standings?  This is beyond common sense, I just don't understand why this concept seems to be so hard for people to get.

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

 

The Bills have not played "great" at any point this season.  Certainly not for a full 4 quarters on both sides of the ball.

Only one of their wins (Week 1 against the Jets) was by more than a single score.

 

Their offense played great the first 3-4 games, and has been average (at best) ever since.  The passing game is trending in the wrong direction, by virtually every metric.  That includes Josh Allen and the wide receivers.

 

Their defense has been dreadful, outside of maybe a few quarters.  The first half of the first Jets game.  The 4th quarter of the Raiders game.  The second half of the second Jets game.  The first half of the Patriots game.  Out of the 32 quarters they have played, the defense has been terrible in about 25 of them.

 

I would like to believe they can improve.  But we are now at the midpoint of the season.  Time is running out.  The Bills look like a team with an average offense and a bad defense, which has been fortunate enough to get some lucky calls (Rams) and well-timed turnovers (Raiders, Patriots).  They have also played the Jets twice already.  All signs are pointing towards a VERY ugly second half for this team.

 

 

How many teams have played "great" on both sides of the ball for 4 quarters this year?  I am not sure even the Steelers would claim that. Their offense has struggled at times quite a bit. Have the Seahawks?  Their defense is among the worst in the NFL.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, HT02 said:

You just knew this was coming, guys like this write this for the reactions'

Actually, the story of the up-and-coming Dolphins is going to be one of the more riveting things to follow in the league this year, especially as Bills fans.

 

Our second meeting could be quite a matchup with some big implications.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gambit said:

That bolded part hurts. Fitz didn't deserve to be benched when he was playing well. I hope the Phish regret it when it's all said and done. 

 

You think the Fins care? They need to see if Tua is a viable franchise QB because they have a rare opportunity to use another team's high draft pick they got in a trade to potentially pick another, better one if they need to. Those opportunities almost never come around and it is very smart for the Fins to be exploring it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Miami got outgained by 350 yards.  That win was the epitome of a fluke.

 

Their win against the Jets was against Joe Flacco. 

 

Jet's have lost 2 games against the Bills by 10 and 8 points. They also lost to the Broncos by 9 points

 

In all other games they have lost by an average margin of 20+ points.

 

This is why IMO there still isn't enough of a spotlight on this coaching staff as to why they can never comfortably beat an inferior NFL opponent, let alone win in blowout fashion like all 4 of the Dolphins wins have been this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

 

All I'm saying is that the the available data right now points to the Dolphins being the better team (at present) despite the respective win/loss records and division standings. And yes if the current trends hold up the Dolphins will be in first and sole possession of the division in the next month.

 

Of course this doesn't mean it's set and stone and will hold, the Bills very well may start to player better and the Dolphins could be peaking....but again the bigger concerns at present are:

 

1) Common opponent performance - The Dolphins beat the Jets 24-0 without doing much of anything in the 2nd half and the next week we were trailing into the 2nd half against the same Jets team and only won 18-10. We beat the Rams 35-32 on a questionable 4th down PI call. Where the Dolphins dominated in a game that was over at halftime.

2) Week 2 deep dive - take nothing away from Josh Allen, but it took a career 400+ yard game and recovering an onside kick to beat the Dolphins in week 2. Odds say that under the same circumstances we lose that same game 9 out of 10 times because of how rare it is for any QB to post those kind of numbers.

 

Yes this is a hated division rival but there's nothing wrong with being unbiased and saying that right now they are the better team in a week to week NFL league. The good news is we don't have to play them again until the season finale which very well could be for the division title or a win and get in WC spot for each respective team.

 

 

How do injuries factor into your season long view of the Bills and Phins? IIRC, the Fins only had a backup corner out in that Rams game. In contrast this Bills team has been nailed with injuries since game one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

To be fair, Jared Goff didn't lose it alone.  He had help from his ST unit and his OL

True, but the bottom line is that the Rams had a bad game. I think the Dolphins are pretty good, and I always strongly disagreed with how they were being dismissed early in the year, but they aren't division challengers quite yet.

3 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Dolphins have a much easier last half of the season compared to us. they could easily get 9 wins from that 

They have 5 games I where I would expect them to be dogs (Chiefs, Bills, Pats, Raiders, Cardinals) and a few games that will be very tough (Broncos, Chargers, Bengals). I see only one game where I'd feel comfortable betting them to win, against the Jets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I swear, if the situation was reversed and the scrappy 4-3 Bills were looking up at the 6-2 Dolphins, there might actually be more optimism about the Bills around here. Forever loving the underdog.

Edited by Nelius
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

 

Jet's have lost 2 games against the Bills by 10 and 8 points. They also lost to the Broncos by 9 points

 

In all other games they have lost by an average margin of 20+ points.

 

This is why IMO there still isn't enough of a spotlight on this coaching staff as to why they can never comfortably beat an inferior NFL opponent, let alone win in blowout fashion like all 4 of the Dolphins wins have been this year.

 

You don't get style points in the NFL. Only a W or an L. That only matters for people's opinions.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...