Stephen Belichicks career prospects

JetsFan20

24 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

you didn't imagine.  I believe I heard then say

He was the Outside Linebackers coach was calling Defensive plays. 

Thanks. I wonder how the DC feels about that.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Did I imagine this or did one of the announcers say that Stephen was calling the defensive plays?

They don't have a defensive coordinator. Stephen Belichick is the defacto defensive coordinator. 

After Patricia left, I'm pretty sure he didn't name a new DC. Flores was safeties coach, then LB coach and then remained LB coach and started calling defensive plays without the DC title. I believe Stephen was involved as well at the time. Now he's following that same path... LB coach while also calling plays on defense with no actual DC.

EDIT: Belichick has been calling plays since last season... so after Flores left.

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

My surprise prediction is that daddy hangs in up after this season and hands the reigns over to mcdaniels as HC and he makes junior DC. Then junior can leverage that into a HC down the road. 

Depends on if Patricia is looking for work after this year. 

15 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

My surprise prediction is that daddy hangs in up after this season and hands the reigns over to mcdaniels as HC and he makes junior DC. Then junior can leverage that into a HC down the road. 

He'd probably have to DC another team to get consideration, similar to how Mike Pettite had to leave the Jets under Rex to get consideration. There's a lot of nepotism in the league, so it's not the craziest idea. Teams may be tantalized by the idea of a HC that can ask advice from Bill (especially after he retires). I'm sure he's more liberal sharing knowledge with his son than he was with Patricia, O'Brien & McDaniels.

Steve has been calling their plays for over a year

Yes he's rising through the ranks

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I believe Stephen Belichick and Jared Mayo both have a hand in the defensive playcalling…. and obviously Bill Belichick has a very big hand in it as well.

Steve has actually been calling the plays for over a year

I'm sure there's a lot of communication as with all coaches

But he's got the play sheet and he's calling it in