Trouble in Ravens Paradise - Marquise Brown growing Frustrated with Role

MAJBobby

28 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He got awful close last season.  Theories are nice but you really can't back up your statement.  Give him a Diggs and see how he does.  His WR corps isn't Josh Allen's and just like Allen he improves every year.

They didn't win a playoff game.  How did they get awful close?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I disagree.  Let me know when he has a game where he is completely lost and throws 1 TD and 3 Ints.  His division is a lot tougher this year and teams have the formula to beat him.  He is adjusting and still winning.  The "Anti-Lamar" crowd is almost as bad as the anti JA crowd there are just a lot less of them.

He's had multiple ugly games this year throwing the football, but he makes up for it with those busted play 3 yard TD passes that pad his stats. Outside of the Cleveland game in week one where he threw for 275yds, his best game has been a 208yd passing performance. Against the Chiefs he average 3.5 YPA and against the Redskins 4.9 YPA. His team is making up for his deficiencies right now and that's fine. But like others have noted, it isn't conducive for playoff success especially if they get down by two or three scores. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The Diva gene runs strong in that family 

It does indeed.  A guy with the nickname "Hollywood" though - who woulda thought?

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He's had WRs.  They don't have a WR problem.  They have a QB who can't throw to the sidelines problem.

This last is actually true.  There wouldn't seem to be a reason why he couldn't have improved this during the off-season, but so far does not seem to have occurred.

Realizing that they can pretty much ignore whole areas of the field has made defending the Ravens much easier on their opponents.

• Thank you (+1) 2

They are 5-2 - he'll be fine, but he should accept he'll never catch 100 balls in a Greg Roman offense.

Their offense has been pretty good all year, but they haven't been destroying teams like in 2019.  I guess you can't run for 3200 yards every year 😁

I think they'll figure it out and hit their stride by December.

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 2

Here we go again. Good lord, is one of these threads going to pop up every time Lamar has a bad game or some issue for the Ravens offense occurs? 

Look, we have had at least two of these threads already going back to last year after the Ravens game. Lamar Jackson opinions are like religion, politics, and abortion. You aren’t going to change the other person’s mind, so it’s better to just not have the conversation. 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He's had WRs.  They don't have a WR problem.  They have a QB who can't throw to the sidelines problem.

He has a WR in my Opinion and one other guy that's decent.  If you think the only reason for our passing game is JAs development I got news for you.  It's good for a QB when going 3 wide actually means something.

46 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They didn't win a playoff game.  How did they get awful close?

He got to the playoffs didn't he.  He will get to the playoffs every year he plays.

49 minutes ago, H2o said:

He's had multiple ugly games this year throwing the football, but he makes up for it with those busted play 3 yard TD passes that pad his stats. Outside of the Cleveland game in week one where he threw for 275yds, his best game has been a 208yd passing performance. Against the Chiefs he average 3.5 YPA and against the Redskins 4.9 YPA. His team is making up for his deficiencies right now and that's fine. But like others have noted, it isn't conducive for playoff success especially if they get down by two or three scores. 

That's who he is and the offense he plays in.  I haven't seen a game yet where he cost his team the win like I did last year.  Let me know how it looks at the end of the season.

Even Rodgers and Brady have bad games.  

Edited by formerlyofCtown

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He has a WR in my Opinion and one other guy that's decent.  If you think the only reason for our passing game is JAs development I got news for you.  It's good for a QB when going 3 wide actually means something.

Well, I'm not comparing Jackson to Allen.

My point is that BAL could spend money/draft picks and get a big, stud WR, but it would be a waste of $$/a pick.

Jackson's brain doesn't work fast enough to get beyond the first read and he can't read defenses.  As someone mentioned upstream, teams know that he can't hit the perimeters with accuracy and he lives over the middle of the field.

Any decent defense can just take away those tight ends over the middle and stop the run.

Making Lamar be a QB is the key to beating the Ravens and teams with good coaching/defense can do that.  Again ... as proven in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My point is that BAL could spend money/draft picks and get a big, stud WR, but it would be a waste of $$/a pick.

Jackson's brain doesn't work fast enough to get beyond the first read and he can't read defenses.  As someone mentioned upstream, teams know that he can't hit the perimeters with accuracy and he lives over the middle of the field.

Any decent defense can just take away those tight ends over the middle and stop the run.

Making Lamar be a QB is the key to beating the Ravens and teams with good coaching/defense can do that.  Again ... as proven in the playoffs.

I disagree and you act like you have a pile of playoff games as evidence.  It's year three for him just as it is for our guy.  I wouldn't go making the final chapter of your book yet.

I don't necessarily disagree with some of what you say the way to beat him is to contain him.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

"He can't read defenses" is a lame take; I think he's shown plenty of ability that show otherwise. He has 37 TDs to 0 INT in the red zone.   Hell, that pick-6 yesterday was the first of his career.

The current narrative is "make him hit outside throws" and "he needs to win big games". Both are valid critiques, and based on what he's shown us, I think he'll make strides in both areas. At 23, he has many chapters to write in his story, and I think one or more will feature a Lombardi.

The key to beating Lamar...I'm stealing this from the Ringer, but it's the same key to beating other elite QBs. Get pressure with 4 linemen and neutralize his favorite read (in his case, it's that deadly TE seam route). If you're lucky, you have a LB who can spy him and actually keep him from running, but that's one of those challenging matchups in football.  

Anyway, this horse has been beaten to a pulp, and he remains a very polarizing player, despite a MVP. Championships cure all.

46 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

This is as much a Greg Roman issue as it is a Lamar Jackson issue. This is a problem in every stop he's had where he is the main play caller/play designer

Or to put it another way, receivers are rarely thrilled to be in a pass-averse offense, especially on their rookie deals.

1 hour ago, BrooklynBills said:

This is as much a Greg Roman issue as it is a Lamar Jackson issue. This is a problem in every stop he's had where he is the main play caller/play designer

They’ve also done nothing to upgrade the receiver position. It’s hard to know how Jackson’s career will be remembered, but every QB needs weapons. Remember when everyone thought Brady was toast last season playing on a team without a legitimate WR ? Receivers have become undervalued in this league, but every great QB has a great WR. Jackson is the only golden boy QB who doesn’t have a legitimate elite WR. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBills said:

He always seems to have an incredibly diverse and effective running game, and a basic and simplistic passing game. I thought his recent stint as a “passing game coordinator” might help but I’m not sure that it has. Still, when they are rolling it’s beautiful to watch.

Edited by vincec

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He got awful close last season.  Theories are nice but you really can't back up your statement.  Give him a Diggs and see how he does.  His WR corps isn't Josh Allen's and just like Allen he improves every year.

What exactly has he improved upon this year?  He is exactly the same as last year.  Maybe slightly worse.  He can't throw a good pass that isn't a flip off of some type of Roman option play or down the seam to often wide open TEs.  

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I disagree.  Let me know when he has a game where he is completely lost and throws 1 TD and 3 Ints.  His division is a lot tougher this year and teams have the formula to beat him.  He is adjusting and still winning.  The "Anti-Lamar" crowd is almost as bad as the anti JA crowd there are just a lot less of them.

I'm speaking as someone who felt he was over hyped and thought he was going to fall flat on his face this season.

How about 97 yards passing 1 TD and 2 Fumbles against the Chiefs.  Is that lost?

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Or to put it another way, receivers are rarely thrilled to be in a pass-averse offense, especially on their rookie deals.

Its one reason why we lost all the WR talent when we had Tyrod.  

11 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

How about 97 yards passing 1 TD and 2 Fumbles against the Chiefs.  Is that lost?

Rob Johnson with one shoe  97 net yards passing