Week 9: Seahawks at Bills

BillsMafi$

9 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

Oh they’re definitely beatable, but if - for instance - we have a 5 point lead kicking off to the Seahawks with 45 seconds and 0 time outs remaining, I am betting on Russell Wilson. And if they have more time / time outs then just forget it.

Me too. Will that happen? IDK

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

I'm with you on this. Mongo seems like he's better at taking people out than Morse has been. Can't really fault Morse though since Mongo has been out all season. 

I'm guessing having him in there will help him out when he returns. 

Morse is a good pass blocking center but an average run blocker. That's who he has been.

Actively rooting against myself in Fantasy this week. I have Russ, but I benched him cause I can’t root against us like that (Playing Herbert as my backup isn’t that bad) and the other guy has Josh. So I’ll be rooting hard for him to get lots of points. Hopefully they all go to Diggs, cause I’m starting him. 

14 minutes ago, wjag said:

I’m so so sick of this “let cook” phrase.  It is so warn out now. 

It’s a little over done........

😏

Edited by whatdrought
  • Haha (+1) 3

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

And they are all bad teams except the one that they lost 

I know this probably won't happen, but would love to see Bates (yes, I've been the Chair of his fan club since last season) as a starter at the Guard position even if Ford does return on Sunday. Winters is a liability. Bates would be an upgrade. Why don't the coaches see that like I do from my living room couch????

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

I know this probably won't happen, but would love to see Bates (yes, I've been the Chair of his fan club since last season) as a starter at the Guard position even if Ford does return on Sunday. Winters is a liability. Bates would be an upgrade. Why don't the coaches see that like I do from my living room couch????

I think there’s a fair chance that Winters goes to the bench if Ford is healthy. Ford back at LG with Bates at center (after a full week of practice there) and Mongo back at RG would be my preference. 

• Like (+1) 7

One comment that really annoyed me from MCD as I heard this a few days ago... After the chiefs game his response to a question about the game was something like: “We were trying to keep it within striking distance”. 

Translation to me: “We were playing not to get blown out”, essentially.

And it was quite evident in that game as the Bills were playing “bend but don’t break” on defence the whole game.

I personally hate that mentality and I hope the bills don’t have that same philosophy this week.

I fully understand you can’t be reckless and blitz Wilson a ton as he’s going to burn you More than not.

But be more aggressive and have the mindset of “dominate “ opposed to, “hoping to keep it close late in the game and have a chance”.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

I thought that Bates played very well in his few snaps at center, but I don't know how you've seen enough of Bates from your living room couch to tell: 5 snaps vs MIA, 7 vs TEN, 7 vs NE

One comment from Feliciano that I thought was interesting and might possibly bear on what the Bills go with on Sunday given he's liable to be asked to go all game: he said his pec isn't 100% yet and playing Center all game was easier for him because he had help on both sides vs. playing guard.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Agreed... I don’t see them benching Ford before Winters, Boettger, or Bates though.

Boettger was previously a bit of a "weak link" in pass protection but I thought he played very well in the run game last week.

It might be one of those "helped by the guy next to him" things though.

Ford I think has been "walking wounded all month.  Questionable with a groin injury for the Titans, but also observed playing with a brace on his shoulder.

Knee injury and possibly hindered a 4th down conversion by staying in and trying to run a play through it vs. KC.  Bangedup thought MCL sprain which is usually a 2-4 week injury.

Out with the knee injury vs. the Jets and Seattle and questionable this week (week 3).  Bangedup originally had this to say about Ford after the KC game (I'm not sure this link takes you there and I had to hunt a bit to find this so I'm gonna copy the text.  Bangedup's blog has a good graphic about knee ligaments, recommend it)

"Ford went down at the beginning of the 4th quarter with 14:36 left as the result of a right knee injury. Looking back at the film, Ford actually injures the knee on the 3rd down play just prior with a pile of bodies falling on top of him. He stayed in during the 4th down play and injured the knee further when he got rolled up on from behind, forcing his knee to the ground. He reportedly was able to walk off under his own power but required the cart to get to the locker room. By video, it appears he suffered a right MCL sprain due to the mechanism of the injury & the Bills designated the injury as a knee. I had originally thought he could have suffered a high ankle sprain based on having his leg rolled upon. Having an MCL sprain is a far better outcome than a high ankle sprain. MCL sprains vary by severity and it may appear that he suffered a Grade 1-2 sprain due to his week-to-week designation by the team. These can take 2-4 weeks to recover based on the literature and falls in line with what we have seen termed as week-to-week. That designation may have been made considering his other injuries as well.  This is an injury that isn’t all that concerning as these injuries heal up well and do not have lingering problems once healed. While Ford may only miss 1-3 games, I question whether he wouldn’t benefit from a short IR stay from a pure injury standpoint. This is despite him playing some of his best football over the past few weeks. This would help the team in two ways.  This would allow Ford to address his groin, possible left shoulder/elbow injuries, and now right knee. This would also open the door for G Jon Feliciano to return to the active roster without having to outright cut someone. Expect Ford to miss the Jets game & possibly the Patriots game as well."

Playing LG with L shoulder and elbow injuries would explain why blockers were able to get off his blocks to the L during the Titans game.  There's a lot of judgement call needed on the Bills OL right now.  Did the weeks off for the knee help the shoulder/elbow?  Is hindered Ford > Boettger?  If there was a guy who would benefit by a stint on IR it seemed as though that would be Ford, but obviously that ship has sailed.

It would seem as though there might be some benefit in continuity on the line from last week, but we'll have to see how the Bills see it.

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Boettger was previously a bit of a "weak link" in pass protection but I thought he played very well in the run game last week.

It might be one of those "helped by the guy next to him" things though.

Ford I think has been "walking wounded all month.  Questionable with a groin injury for the Titans, but also observed playing with a brace on his shoulder.

Knee injury and possibly hindered a 4th down conversion by staying in and trying to run a play through it vs. KC.  Bangedup thought MCL sprain which is usually a 2-4 week injury.

Out with the knee injury vs. the Jets and Seattle and questionable this week (week 3).  Bangedup originally had this to say about Ford after the KC game (I'm not sure this link takes you there and I had to hunt a bit to find this so I'm gonna copy the text.  Bangedup's blog has a good graphic about knee ligaments, recommend it)

"Ford went down at the beginning of the 4th quarter with 14:36 left as the result of a right knee injury. Looking back at the film, Ford actually injures the knee on the 3rd down play just prior with a pile of bodies falling on top of him. He stayed in during the 4th down play and injured the knee further when he got rolled up on from behind, forcing his knee to the ground. He reportedly was able to walk off under his own power but required the cart to get to the locker room. By video, it appears he suffered a right MCL sprain due to the mechanism of the injury & the Bills designated the injury as a knee. I had originally thought he could have suffered a high ankle sprain based on having his leg rolled upon. Having an MCL sprain is a far better outcome than a high ankle sprain. MCL sprains vary by severity and it may appear that he suffered a Grade 1-2 sprain due to his week-to-week designation by the team. These can take 2-4 weeks to recover based on the literature and falls in line with what we have seen termed as week-to-week. That designation may have been made considering his other injuries as well.  This is an injury that isn’t all that concerning as these injuries heal up well and do not have lingering problems once healed. While Ford may only miss 1-3 games, I question whether he wouldn’t benefit from a short IR stay from a pure injury standpoint. This is despite him playing some of his best football over the past few weeks. This would help the team in two ways.  This would allow Ford to address his groin, possible left shoulder/elbow injuries, and now right knee. This would also open the door for G Jon Feliciano to return to the active roster without having to outright cut someone. Expect Ford to miss the Jets game & possibly the Patriots game as well."

Playing LG with L shoulder and elbow injuries would explain why blockers were able to get off his blocks to the L during the Titans game.  There's a lot of judgement call needed on the Bills OL right now.  Did the weeks off for the knee help the shoulder/elbow?  Is hindered Ford > Boettger?  If there was a guy who would benefit by a stint on IR it seemed as though that would be Ford, but obviously that ship has sailed.

It would seem as though there might be some benefit in continuity on the line from last week, but we'll have to see how the Bills see it.

Honestly I didn't know Ford was that banged up with multiple injuries. Hopefully that explains his trouble. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

One comment that really annoyed me from MCD as I heard this a few days ago... After the chiefs game his response to a question about the game was something like: “We were trying to keep it within striking distance”. 

Translation to me: “We were playing not to get blown out”, essentially.

And it was quite evident in that game as the Bills were playing “bend but don’t break” on defence the whole game.

I personally hate that mentality and I hope the bills don’t have that same philosophy this week.

I fully understand you can’t be reckless and blitz Wilson a ton as he’s going to burn you More than not.

But be more aggressive and have the mindset of “dominate “ opposed to, “hoping to keep it close late in the game and have a chance”.

It didn’t bother me at all. Do you remember who we fielded on defense in this game?  Also Tre White had his back issues ongoing. I don’t claim to coach at his level but a smart coach knows his personnel and will strategize with his talent. What was he supposed to do?  Match up Cam Lewis in man coverage with Tyreek Hill?  We have to be realistic. Right now we don’t have the horses on defense. With clear weather this Sunday I imagine the offense will have the pedal to the floor. MCD will be going for it on 4th and short. Less field goal attempts. It will be an aggressive offensive game plan (my opinion). 

• Like (+1) 2