Beane's construction of this roster

I'll join the "pile on" party this evening...

Overall, Beane's drafting and FA handling are starting to show cracks... probable misses on high picks like Ford, Edmunds, Phillips, Joseph, maybe Knox.  Many good FA adds like Feliciano, Morse, Beasley, Brown; but several misses or marginal upgrades like Klein, potentially Norman, Spain, Murphy (jury's out on this year's crop - Butler, Addison).

Part of the results of the middle-of-the-pack GM performance is a linebacking group and dline that are bad, with terrible depth and few play makers/game changers on defense (other than Milano and Tre); and plays soft.  

Beane, by all accounts is a very bright and hard working GM, however, if I look closely at the roster and results, it's not as positive as I've been thinking for the last year plus.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, All I Need is Hope said:

Overall, Beane's drafting and FA handling are starting to show cracks... probable misses on high picks like Ford, Edmunds, Phillips, Joseph, maybe Knox.  Many good FA adds like Feliciano, Morse, Beasley, Brown; but several misses or marginal upgrades like Klein, potentially Norman, Spain, Murphy (jury's out on this year's crop - Butler, Addison).

Part of the results of the middle-of-the-pack GM performance is a linebacking group and dline that are bad, with terrible depth and few play makers/game changers on defense (other than Milano and Tre); and plays soft.  

Beane, by all accounts is a very bright and hard working GM, however, if I look closely at the roster and results, it's not as positive as I've been thinking for the last year plus.

Well... they can't all be gems, but given 18 years of suck in terms of talent/competitiveness, I'll conclude that Beane has done a lot more good than bad.

I can easily name a dozen players that were drafted as first rounders and did not work here.  At all.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

In all honesty it doesn’t matter because he drafted Josh Allen. 

Josh is infinitely more important than all of those guys... he can elevate the play of marginal players (hence how we are 6-2 despite all the whining and complaining from the fan base)

Which ones?

Any of them on D?

2 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

We're 6-2 because we've played mostly lousy teams.  We got pushed around by legitimate contenders, on both sides of the ball.

At some point, we need more talent on defense.

Sigh...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

If look at way he structured contract I disagree except for the case of Klein most of the guys we signed can be cut with little cap implications. Also we're looking like a playoff team again this season, I mean the offense took a monumental step forward this season. The defense definitely isn't what it was but has stepped up with games on the line to get us to 6-2. 

Enough of this negative talk here today. We’re going to the Super Bowl for sure after defeating the mighty Pats. Mark my words, we’re playing the Bucs in the Super Bowl. We’re going to take down Brady, and McD is going to body slam Gronk before taking the Lombardi Trophy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Beane is doing great.  Some of his picks, like Ford and Edmunds and even Allen,  are still developing.  Are you really going to criticize 4
th and 5th round picks (Knox and Joseph)?   

He has consistently upgraded the talent with free agents while not overpaying.  None of the players you mention put us in cap trouble and all of them have contributed.   

He has not been perfect but he has built an exciting team, a competitive team, and a culture of winning. Players want to play here.   Do you want to bring back Whaley, Nix, Brandon,  Levy, Modrak and Donahoe?     I sure don’t.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

We're 6-2 because we've played mostly lousy teams.  We got pushed around by legitimate contenders, on both sides of the ball.

At some point, we need more talent on defense.

You play the teams on your schedule.you think the Patriots are lamenting playing in a lousy division the last two decades? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

Phillips had a good game today.  Ford has been solid at Guard. 

Overall, more hits than misses.  And if Allen keeps playing like he has, then the rest doesn't matter

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Beane is doing great.  Some of his picks, like Ford and Edmunds and even Allen,  are still developing.  Are you really going to criticize 4
th and 5th round picks (Knox and Joseph)?   

He has consistently upgraded the talent with free agents while not overpaying.  None of the players you mention put us in cap trouble and all of them have contributed.   

He has not been perfect but he has built an exciting team, a competitive team, and a culture of winning. Players want to play here.   Do you want to bring back Whaley, Nix, Brandon,  Levy, Modrak and Donahoe?     I sure don’t.  

how many more years does Edmunds need to develop ?     

2 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

His drafting has been horrible and for all the credit some folks gave him for cleaning up the previous regime's mess and he pretty much put them back into the same situation especially after what appears to be a very premature extension to Tre White.

He's certainly hit on some trades and FA signings but overall there's nothing impressive about what he's done and the insistence on focusing on the Carolina franchise will prove to be his downfall.

I get your points, but if the Tre White deal proves to be bad, it’s not something anyone saw coming. They extended a guy who’s a crucial part of the D for a good price. Nothing about White’s play over the past couple years indicated an extension wasn’t a good idea. I loved the fact we held on to our talent for once. 

21 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

Beane is on the HOT SEAT