Ed Oliver vs Quinnen Williams

JetsFan20

6 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

The fact that the Bills failed to find another big fat space eater 1 tech to replace Star after he opted out is a black mark.  Philips was never going to be able to play full speed coming off that ACL this year and Oliver is too small for the role.  There should be several of these guys floating around on practice squads like Snacks is in Seattle.  They don't have to be able to rush the passer, DTs who can do that aren't on practice squads, but help in the middle would definitely help our DEs get home.

Cant have answers for Everything.  They thought Oliver and Phillips could hold the fort down with the additions.  At this point they guessed wrong.  Cannot kill them for that, it is not like going into the season with Trent Edwards as your starting QB

41 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I saw Buffalo Ramblings and that put him on my radar. I did some more looking into him and he seems like the prefect rental. Super Stout run defender big body guy that can clog and hold the middle. Super cheap on the cap and probably could be had for a 4th round pick. It just seems like a fit for both sides. I don't see any other help coming to the defense as there just doesn't seem to be a lot of elite pass rushers out there that the team could afford. 

I would be glad to send them a 4th or 5th. I could even see ya re-signing him next year as that role will still need filling and Star will be a year older and coming off a year of not playing scares me with a big guy like that. 

8 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

The fact that the Bills failed to find another big fat space eater 1 tech to replace Star after he opted out is a black mark.  Philips was never going to be able to play full speed coming off that ACL this year and Oliver is too small for the role.  There should be several of these guys floating around on practice squads like Snacks is in Seattle.  They don't have to be able to rush the passer, DTs who can do that aren't on practice squads, but help in the middle would definitely help our DEs get home.

The problem is, it's not like they are finding a replacement for Star, as in Star hasn't really left. Star is still on the Bills and his contract is on the books. They can't just go throwing huge money at other DTs as you've already got money tied up in a player who will be back.  So they have been forced to look cheap, I think that was the plan with Taylor and they were going to try to sneak him onto the practice squad, which failed. 

I think at this point they can only look for cheap DTs at this point. There's no way they could sign or trade for a high price DT.

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

Or....they are in a bind and trying to do their best with what they have? Oliver would be thriving as the 3-tech, what he was drafted for. That isnt on Beane for drafting him or Coaches for not developing him there - because he isnt playing there. How could they plan for Star opting out and forcing him to play there? 

they needed to play for star to not be available.  injuries happen.  

10 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

The problem is, it's not like they are finding a replacement for Star, as in Star hasn't really left. Star is still on the Bills and his contract is on the books. They can't just go throwing huge money at other DTs as you've already got money tied up in a player who will be back.  So they have been forced to look cheap, I think that was the plan with Taylor and they were going to try to sneak him onto the practice squad, which failed. 

I think at this point they can only look for cheap DTs at this point. There's no way they could sign or trade for a high price DT.

they could, and cut Murphy. 

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

they needed to play for star to not be available.  injuries happen.  

they could, and cut Murphy. 

I don't think it's about finding the money, it's more about committing more money to the DT position. So really they would be looking for a young/cheap or someone willing to play on a 1-year veteran contract.

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Well with Covid coming up Beane et al should have been prepared for players opting out, this was a bad/risky year to spend so close to cap limits.  Is that 20/20, yes but it is also very pragmatic.

VERY 20/20 and what Crystal Ball would Beane have been gazing into?  The one where Tre White almost didn't play this year?  The one where "someone" else mighta coulda maybe mighta not played.......thats a no win situation there that no one can predict......what position would he have beefed up?  Not attacking you just trying to figger out what without the ability of hind site would he have acted on?  Whom would he have poached and where from?  Need a real good fortune teller for that one.....

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Now all the Reasons I said for Bills to do it.

I will tell you why it wont happen at least THIS week.

Bills Play the Jets on Sunday.

If this inter-division trade it going to happen the watch starts on Monday

If the Bills want him and are prepared to offer more than the rest of the market for him, and  Jets are prepared to trade him to a Division rival, do the deal this week and have the Jets sit him this weekend and release him Monday...

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

If the Bills want him and are prepared to offer more than the rest of the market for him, and  Jets are prepared to trade him to a Division rival, do the deal this week and have the Jets sit him this weekend and release him Monday...

Wouldn't he have to do the covid sitout for x amount of days anyways???

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

it depends where is home residence is which might be alabama where he's from. if that's the case he pays their tax rate. especially with covid this year i'd imagine he stayed down their for most of the year. 

You pay tax where you work.  NFL players have to file tax returns in ~9 different states.  Cowboys players have complained in the past, Texas has no state income tax but their training camp in Oxnard required them to pay California income tax.

37 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

VERY 20/20 and what Crystal Ball would Beane have been gazing into?  The one where Tre White almost didn't play this year?  The one where "someone" else mighta coulda maybe mighta not played.......thats a no win situation there that no one can predict......what position would he have beefed up?  Not attacking you just trying to figger out what without the ability of hind site would he have acted on?  Whom would he have poached and where from?  Need a real good fortune teller for that one.....

No crystal ball necessary, it is called being prepared which mean you remain flexible and can react which means you dont spend up close to the cap limit, now we have very limited flexibility.  We all knew someone would opt out and/or get sick.

30 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I personally think the dline has regressed with the new dline coach this year. 

You mean yet another ex-=Carolina Panther?