Week 6 Postgame Thread KC at Bills

A lot of blame to go around....

Except for Special Teams: Bogo single handedly stopped this from being a 42-13 blow out. He gets my only game ball tonight. There was a missed 52 yarder, but largely kicking and coverage were great.  Even at the end of the game Bass popped one up for the coverage team to keep the return around the 15. Solid group tonight. 

Defense: Got shredded on the ground. Generally terrible on 3rd down. Couldn’t make any “key stops” but made enough stops to keep KC in a low scoring game. Bend but don’t break. Lots of yards but held PM and the Chiefs to only 2 TDS and a million field goals. It was a good enough performance to win the game. 

Offense: The passing attack takes the lions share of the blame. 9 minutes left in the game and you are losing to Mahomes by 10 with possession of the ball and you are 9/21 and 66 yards? There is no excuse other than very bad QB play. Running game was meh. Protection was good enough. A couple drops, sure, but not enough to account for such an abysmal production over 75% into the game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

And who are we without? There are always injuries...sometimes they make a big impact, sometimes not. The point is this: it’s a long season. After each loss, everyone should NOT be fired. 

I agree with that as well. I was only pointing out the Chiefs loosing 4 out of 5 was without their starting QB, who is the best in the league. 
 Nobody should get fired right now, but you can’t give up almost 250 yards. Just can’t. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

The point was that the defensive game plan held KC to below their scoring average. Josh and the offense punted twice in the third quarter and it was why KC had a two possession lead and despite that quick scoring drive KC was just able to grind the clock and kick a field goal. The defense needs at least 2 pieces (a run stuffing DT and a pass rusher) and Milano back but its not as tragic as people are making it out to be. 

So the D's game plan was let AR slice and dice us with 46 runs, and you call that a success.  More like they did what they wanted, and loved every second of it.  

They desperately need a pass rusher that can get to the passer. 

I really didnt mind the defensive game plan but they need someone to get to the QB so that on the last drive or 2 mahomes doesn't make those 3rd and longs

The game plan almost worked to perfection. Keep it close and let Allen win it on the last drive

1 minute ago, par73 said:

So which is it--- 2018 Josh, or Franchise Josh? Defense looks as bad as I've seen (almost). How do you fix that?

KC played similar to how Baltimore played Josh in 2019. Just a lot of blitzes. I think you can coach Josh up on how to beat a blitz esp with the receiving core he has. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm tired of this Defense.  So terrible.  I'd say maybe once we get Milano back healthy and maybe trade for a good run stuffing DT (yes I really think they miss Star this year) that we'll get better, but frankly I don't actually think that'll happen.

Basically Allen needs to carry the team almost every game, but a combination of primetime jitters on his part and an offensive game plan that won't simply acknowledge that is going to keep this team in that "good, but not good enough" territory.

So frustrating.

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

the defensive regression is alarming.  Is he Marvin Lewis??

This won't be popular but defense was fine in this game... run defense doesn't matter. If you stop the Chiefs from hitting big plays you're playing well against them. The best defense against the run is a good passing offense and today we didn't have it. Allen is moving in the wrong direction. That's why we lost.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

KC went into this game averaging 30 points a game, the defense gave up 26. I honestly put this loss on the offense. Just 7 points in the second half is not going to cut it. The defense despite all the yardage given up put this team in a position to win. It was the offense that couldn't score. 

Have to disagree. KC only scored 26 because they ran the ball 1000 times and bled the clock. The Defense did not stop them it was just a slow paced game due to KC having long drives all game long. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Agreed, a 52 yarder in the rain isn't an easy kick. I am not blaming Bass, it was just something that could have given this team a sense of momentum going into the second half. The two punts in the third were killers. You know the game plan is to limit possessions so you have little room for error. 

They call it a game of inches as I could debate was post on our when Ford missed Jones and/or just missing ripping out the fumble a half second sooner.

1 minute ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

They desperately need a pass rusher that can get to the passer. 

I really didnt mind the defensive game plan but they need someone to get to the QB so that on the last drive or 2 mahomes doesn't make those 3rd and longs

The game plan almost worked to perfection. Keep it close and let Allen win it on the last drive

Uhhh, we might need some run stopping and some pass coverage too

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He doesn't deserve defense but who do we replace him with?

McDermott  has to take it over.  There is two different defenses on the Bills when McDermott calls the plays they are more aggressive they line 7 guys on the line of scrimmage drop linemen into coverage they are costly hitting the QB.  Frazier does not know what he is doing anymore it is cover 2 that's it.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Could have been 13-13 at the half too. Hell, if they got 3 points on any of their other drives in the 2nd half it would have been close.

The offense was really bad.

I have more questions for Daboll than anyone else, honestly. You can't just give up on your QB after a sucks for a few drives. I mean once you got the TD by runningm you, gotta see what Allen had left. Yet when they get the ball back down 13 - 10,  they went back to run/safe short throws. And punted. 

Same in the 3rd. You can't do that with someone like Allen. 

1 minute ago, daz28 said:

So the D's game plan was let AR slice and dice us with 46 runs, and you call that a success.  More like they did what they wanted, and loved every second of it.  

I think the point of the game plan was to bet that Andy reid doesn't stay with the run

His history shows he won't. Strangely did for once today

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Agreed, a 52 yarder in the rain isn't an easy kick. I am not blaming Bass, it was just something that could have given this team a sense of momentum going into the second half. The two punts in the third were killers. You know the game plan is to limit possessions so you have little room for error. 

It's a tough kick...No doubt...But why does it seem that our opponents always hit those against us?

And good grief he missed that thing by a mile...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, daz28 said:

The gameplan was likely to dare KC to run and throw short. Hopefully you then force a turnover or two and a few field goals. You then hope your vaunted offense could score on limited possessions on long drives. Josh punted twice on two possessions in the third and Bass missed a kick late in the half. That was the game. 

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I agree with that as well. I was only pointing out the Chiefs loosing 4 out of 5 was without their starting QB, who is the best in the league. 
 Nobody should get fired right now, but you can’t give up almost 250 yards. Just can’t. 

Apologies! Wasn’t talking about you. More so the pitchfork people.