Postgame Thread: Bills at Raiders

I think it was back in 2011 and the Bills had just beaten the Pats to go 3 - 0 and they came down here to Cincinnati which was 0 - 3.  Can you say 4 - 0!  But it was not to be as the Bills lost to the Bengals and the wheels fell off the team after that.

Today the Bills played against a good team that was fired up and treating the game like it was their Super Bowl.  The Bills won 30 - 23.  They never trailed and had leads of 14 - 3; 17 - 6 and 30 -16.  A solid win on the road against a very good team to go 4 - 0.  Absolutely fantastic.

Sure the D struggled through the first two and a half quarters but they got their act together and played great the rest of the way.

Allen and the offense had another great game.  Scoring 30 points and going up and down the field.  Allen completed 24 of 34 passes and his 10 incompletions included at least 5 deliberate throw aways and at least two dropped passes.

We all breathed a sigh of relief when Allen came back from the injury. And for the record I didn't see any difference in Allen's throwing mechanic or motion pre or post injury.  Three of Allen's best passes in the game came in the 2nd half - the "TD" pass to Brown (are the NY review refs drinking on the job); that big 3rd down conversion throw to Beasley and the 50 yard deep ball to Diggs.  And if Allen's shoulder was at risk would they have had him sneak it in on FIRST down From 6 inches out? 

Allen's sack had me and I assume a lot of others screaming at the TV but we're going to get that kind of play from him once a game.  

For me Allen is the first QB since Kelly retired that gives me the confidence that Jim did.  Kelly couldn't always deliver and there will be games where Allen won't either.  But football is not about perfection - it doesn't exist in this sport.  But Allen is in total command of the offense in the same way Kelly was and like Kelly Allen can make magic.  This is the guy and we can win it all with him at the helm.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

This is really not a playoff caliber defense.  I feel a disappointing end to the season coming.

Happy we're 4-0 but this D has me uber concerned. They we're giving up double digit yards every damn play for a few drives. No turnovers no win, but hey, those turnovers were  great plays. Maybe Norman makes a difference as our secondary is pretty damn shaky.

I’m not confident in the Kicker or Punter. It might not seem like a big deal right now but you never know when they can cost you a game. It’s not like those are impossible positions to find upgrades at. I would be pulling out the stops to fix both as soon as possible. Now is the time to do it. Not a week after you wish you had.

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not confident in the Kicker or Punter. It might not seem like a big deal right now but you never know when they can cost you a game. It’s not like those are impossible positions to find upgrades at. I would be pulling out the stops to fix both as soon as possible. Now is the time to do it. Not a week after you wish you had.

I am with you. I was against cutting Haush money for this very reason— rookie kickers are too much of a risk. So what if Bass can make a 58-yarder if he is all over the place on XPs? And Bojo does nothing for the punting game, and manages to be a terrible holder too. 

Bass May be great in 2 years, but we need someone who is solid and reliable now. 

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Yeah... I think Allen is anything but the problem.. Our defense needs to get a lot better though.. Forcing our offense to put up 30pts every game is unsustainable.. Think McD may need to relieve Frazier of his play calling duties..

Before blaming Frazier, our D has to get on the same page.  They just aren't playing as a cohesive unit.  D-line is terrible at times, running into each other trying to get upfield, Edmunds out of position or over pursuing to cover openings, breakdowns in coverage.

All fixable I think, and they did look better at times in the second half.

WRT Allen's sack, he threw some balls away today and will learn from that sack.  You could see it in his face and his development is finally at a point where coaches can focus him on fixing it.

1 hour ago, jimmy10 said:

Just heard Josh’s postgame presser. Basically all he did was own what a boneheaded play that was, so you gotta give him credit for that at least. 

Allen has never not owned his bad plays. It’s part of why he’s a good QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am with you. I was against cutting Haush money for this very reason— rookie kickers are too much of a risk. So what if Bass can make a 58-yarder if he is all over the place on XPs? And Bojo does nothing for the punting game, and manages to be a terrible holder too. 

Bass May be great in 2 years, but we need someone who is solid and reliable now. 

You can absolutely cut bass and get him back on the PS. No way anyone in the league steals him based on the tape that exists of him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Happy we're 4-0 but this D has me uber concerned. They we're giving up double digit yards every damn play for a few drives. No turnovers no win, but hey, those turnovers were  great plays. Maybe Norman makes a difference as our secondary is pretty damn shaky.

Norman made a difference today.

As the Bills evolve into an explosive high scoring O its possible the Bills D will slip some in the stats as desperation mounts with the opposition.

Oddly enough, generally speaking around the NFL Offensive units appear to be a little ahead of the leagues D's IMO. 

Edited by Figster

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bodork was horrible today.  Two punts into the end zone straight up the middle (if you punt inside the numbers in this league, you won't last very long), and then he Ray Finkles the hold (laces at 5:00, Houston, WTF, over?).  It wasn't calling fake FG on your own bad, but pretty close.  That missed XP could have been huge.  I can't blame Bass when the hold was so ridiculously bad.  

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This cracked me up. You think youre saying something clever, but you end up looking really silly.

Turns out yards dont matter much if you dont get points.

your opinion sir, I don’t think a defense that give up that many yards played well at all.   You apparently do, to each there own... clever has nothing to do with it... 🤧

Just now, Figster said:

Norman made a difference today.

As the Bills evolve into a more exlosive high scoring O its possible the Bills D will slip some in the stats as desperation mounts with the opposition.

Oddly enough, generally speaking around the NFL Offensive units appear to be a little ahead of the leagues D's IMO. 

Seems so. Just not used to seeing our D so pourous, confused, out of position and missing tackles and gaps. Frankly I'd like to see more of Jaquan out there at safety.

Just now, Green Lightning said:

Seems so. Just not used to seeing our D so pourous, confused, out of position and missing tackles and gaps. Frankly I'd like to see more of Jaquan out there at safety.

I think both the Rams and Raiders are tough teams to defend against. 

Its not getting any easier...

• Like (+1) 1

I'm just going to say that the sack was bad but Allen doesn't really take a lot of those. He's been very good at throwing the ball away. The times he has done it has been specific situations and in this one I think it is possible that he was thinking about keeping the clock running, which would be fine except that points were more important in that specific situation than the clock was. Despite what apparently some people think, he has shown plenty of ability to learn from his mistakes. The only mistake he has really repeatedly made is playing hero ball which tends to happen when the offense has struggled for too long of a stretch during any certain game. While he has repeatedly made that mistake, he has gone long stretches without doing it and played pretty clean with the interceptions.