Josh Allen - week ONE report card

rayray808

Year 3 of the weekly report card. In year prior I graded him on a rookie/sophomore rubric but now this is the year and time for him to shine:

WEEK ONE GRADE: B+

Bills 27 - Jets 17

33/46 - 72% completion - 312 yards - 2 TD's - 0 INT's - 14 rushes - 57 yards - 1 TD rushing - 2 fumbles lost

Today we saw some incredible high's, and yet a few head scratching lows that leave me unable to give him an "A" for the week. I love how he had a nice command over the offense through the air to start the game. Confidence, precision, and accurate with his throws. Just when we think though that the franchise has arrived... fumble. And not just a fumble, but the types of fumbles that drove us crazy last year. However Josh did what he does best and bounced back to gain composure of our offense again and did a wonderful job of utilizing Diggs and Brown. However, once we are on the doorstep of putting the nail in the coffin on the Jets - fumble. He did what was needed though to put this game away and I cannot say enough with how good he looked when he was in the pocket firing lasers across the field. Also, that audible he called to Brown for the TD was just awesome to see progression wise.

All in all, Josh left me feeling great as a Bills fan. A win. 300 yard game monkey off his back. Passing TD and rushing TD's. However, if he wants to make that jump to an elite QB and/or lock to be a franchise type QB, he needs to eliminate the fumbling issues and missing WIDE OPEN guys like Brown in the endzone... perhaps he needs to realize that being in the pocket can help the team more than the occasional breakout run.

POSITIVE STAT OF THE DAY: 312 yards career high passing and finally breaks the 300 yard passing streak that has plagued this team

NEGATIVE STAT OF THE DAY: 14 rushing attempts with 2 fumbles (his career high was 10 last year - maybe it's time to rip some of those pages out of the playbook)

Edited by rayray808
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

Just for future reference what qualifies as an A?

I would say not fumbling deep in enemy territory twice would move the needle.... I am as Pro-Allen as anyone here, but I think the B+ is valid considering those, the misses to Brown and Knox in the endzone, and shorting the pass to Beasley that would have been six. Those little things need to be cleaned up as the season progresses. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

I would say not fumbling deep in enemy territory twice would move the needle.... I am as Pro-Allen as anyone here, but I think the B+ is valid considering those, the misses to Brown and Knox in the endzone, and shorting the pass to Beasley that would have been six. Those little things need to be cleaned up as the season progresses. 

So nothing much he just has to be absolutely perfect.

Just now, Warcodered said:

So nothing much he just has to be absolutely perfect.

I mean, are you saying you're okay with those fumbles? If they were interceptions would that change the conversation? 

I get what you're saying, but that's a consistent problem we've had in the past. 

• Like (+1) 1

A+ passing it. C+ rushing it.

Those two fumbles just can't happen, but otherwise he was still dominant as a rusher and he utilized his offensive weapons in the passing game flawlessly (except the missed TD to Brown).

Hoping we can get the run game going more. Hopefully it is just that the Jets have a good defensive line or that the offensive line needed a game to gel and get back to form.

• Like (+1) 5