Draft gurus: Mekhi Becton vs Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

The Jets have Le Veon  Bell at RB and somebody's dead grandmother at WR. I expect them to try to run to help shorten the game, to help their QB against safeties who disguise coverage as well as anyone and to help a reworked OL with a rookie LT.

The Bills need to get a lead and force the Jets to be one dimensional and use the DL depth early and send waves at them until their tongues are hanging out. Nobody is in game shape, so get after them and stay after them.

• Like (+1) 1

Becton is really going to benefit from having no fans in the stands. Rookie tackle going against a speed rusher when he can't hear the snap count is at a huge disadvantage he won't have to face. I think Bell is going to get a LOT of carries and balls thrown to him. The Bills run D needs to be on point. Very much hoping Butler is healthy enough to play Sunday.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He sounds very good. Well hopefully since the OL hadn’t played in s game together yet, and Alex lewis next to him is pretty average, Hughes has the advantage 

For a giant, he's an athletic freak, but he hasn't played an NFL game yet, and both Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison are pretty crafty veterans.  Becton does not have a veteran's technique as he relied on his athleticism and size advantage in his college career.

1 hour ago, eball said:

"You better git ready for a fistfight in a phone booth, YEEEEEE HAAAAAWWWW!"

What a jackass.  What does that even mean?  Greggggg has become a caricature of himself, quickly approaching Rex Ryan status.

I really hope the Bills hang 40 on them.

He has one year of a decent defense in the last 7 or so and he can't shut up now. 

So I liked Becton coming out but thought he was a little raw and might be a slow starter early this season. However, he has supposedly been very impressive in camp and has looked instantly like one of the best players on the roster in a way similar to when Tre White first started here. Fortunately for the Bills the rest of the line is still weak

37 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

For a giant, he's an athletic freak, but he hasn't played an NFL game yet, and both Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison are pretty crafty veterans.  Becton does not have a veteran's technique as he relied on his athleticism and size advantage in his college career.

This is pretty much how I see it.  Keeping up a rotation against Becton is important. I’m sure he’ll get help and they’ll run a lot, but I’d make sure we have a savvy vet going against him on every third and long.  I’m sure we will also test him mentally with a lot of stunts and overloaded lines. 

Edited by BarleyNY

Just now, Bangarang said:

Remember when we were super confident about Mario Williams dominating Austin Howard? Hopefully we don’t get a repeat of that.

I actually don’t remember that. I remember one game at MetLife where Rex said Mario couldn’t play because he was sick ...needed an IV or something 

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I actually don’t remember that. I remember one game at MetLife where Rex said Mario couldn’t play because he was sick ...needed an IV or something 

We got curb stomped by the Jets and Mario was complaining that Howard kept punching him in the face

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1328166-nfl-week-1-after-jets-vs-bills-mario-williams-angry-at-replacement-referees.amp.html

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

We got curb stomped by the Jets and Mario was complaining that Howard kept punching him in the face

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1328166-nfl-week-1-after-jets-vs-bills-mario-williams-angry-at-replacement-referees.amp.html

That was the most disappointing week 1 ever. I thought we had a wildcard shot going into week 1. By the end of that game I wondered how we would win a single game. 

I loved Becton as a prospect, and I think, in time, he’ll be a great LT.

That said, I’ve seen what Jerry Hughes speed, bend, and creativity does to rookie LTs, and I can assure you that Becton will have his hands full. Also remember that Addison comes off the right side too, so it’s not just Hughes he’ll be dealing with.

I expect a LOT of max protect to give the Jets receivers time to find space in Buffalo’s zone. The downside for them is that it take the Jets’ best matchup pieces—Bell and Herndon—out of pass routes in critical situations.

Of course I expect Buffalo to counter by mixing in a lot of Cover-1/Robber to keep pressure on their 7-man protection sets and take advantage of their superior secondary. If I’m the Jets, the matchup I’m most worried about is Edmunds—perhaps one of the best plus-1 rushers in the game—being singled up on Herndon. That’s a complete mismatch; there are quality OTs that struggle with Edmunds length/speed.

• Thank you (+1) 1