Draft gurus: Mekhi Becton vs Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Those who watched/studied becton in college (i watched zero Louisville football last year) - thoughts on this matchup? I think it will be a big factor. 

I read his scouting report and speed rushers can dip their lead shoulder and bend around him.  I think Hughes will have a good day.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Bigger they are, harder they fall. And quickness trumps size in pass protection.

Becton is great for the RB running behind him - he can flatten Hughes or anyone else, but, based on Louisville tape, is vulnerable in pass protection. Expecting a few sacks from that side....

I read that he is prone to bite on twists and stunts.  I think we attack him all day.

• Like (+1) 2

I dont think its as cut and dry as a lot of people do.   Becton is a good player and if he gets his hands on Hughes I am not sure Jerry has the size and strength to win that matchup.   That makes Hughes one dimensional, and if he is limited to an outside speed rush then the Jets will be smart to run a lot of quick routes.   I dont think Hughes has shown to be any kind of dominate player the last two years.   He is a good player, but he often runs straight up the field without bending the corner well.

I also imagine they will give Becton help.   The real matchup to watch is Addison against Fant who is no real great at right tackle.

I’ll be breaking tradition by not wearing my Jerry jersey opening day because dude is so massive I’m worried he’ll be shut down.  

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have to think then - and based on the strengths of bills D - the jets will try to run the ball. I don’t think Gase has ever been one to commit to the run though. 

Wasn’t it the Gase coached fins that slathered us with Ajayi?

Becton is a hell of an athlete for his size. Jerry is a savvy vet though, who uses his hands well, and has a variety of pass rushing moves. Another thing that will help is Hughes is 100% healthy. I expect Jerry to win some and lose some. The one thing that does worry me is Hughes vs Becton in the running game. The guy absolutely mauled people at Louisville so our LB's and Safeties need to take proper angles and be sure tacklers on Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont think its as cut and dry as a lot of people do.   Becton is a good player and if he gets his hands on Hughes I am not sure Jerry has the size and strength to win that matchup.   That makes Hughes one dimensional, and if he is limited to an outside speed rush then the Jets will be smart to run a lot of quick routes.   I dont think Hughes has shown to be any kind of dominate player the last two years.   He is a good player, but he often runs straight up the field without bending the corner well.

I also imagine they will give Becton help.   The real matchup to watch is Addison against Fant who is no real great at right tackle.

Last year was a down year until it mattered most.  He claims he was injured, we’ll see.  2 years ago was the best Jerry Hughes in a Bills uniform imo. He didn’t have the sacks, but he dominated his opposition on a weekly basis.  His pass rush grade (or qb pressures, iirc) was number 1 in the league for DEs.  If not 1st, dam close.  

I think he’s better than most people realize.  Too bad all anyone cares about is sack stats. 

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/03/03/2020-nfl-draft-mekhi-becton-scouting-report/

Strengths

Well, for starters, he’s huge.

The heaviest player invited to the Combine, Becton is a hefty individual who also possesses stellar length for an offensive lineman. He’s not out of shape by any means, though; he carries the weight very well and doesn’t have much body fat on his frame. That size makes it anything but surprising to know that he’s an absolute mauler in the run game. He plays with a nasty edge, looking to annihilate the competition and drive them into the dirt. His grip strength is admirable, and the power with which he delivers his punches is downright brutal.

Becton isn’t just a massive brute, as the athleticism he brings to the table is palpable. Much commotion has been made about his 5.10 40-yard dash at the Combine, and as crazy as that speed is for such a heavy player, that athleticism shows up on tape. He’s surprisingly light on his feet and has good body control when moving laterally in pass protection. His straight-line speed is also apparent when he’s asked to accelerate to the second level and block in space.

Weaknesses

For as much upside as he possesses already, Becton is still developing as a blocker.

As one would expect for a taller offensive tackle, Becton’s pad level could be more consistent. His hips aren’t incredibly flexible, making it tougher for him to sink down and maintain leverage with his pads. He wins with pure strength and dominant force behind his strikes, but his pad level will need to get a bit better at the next level.

Though he’s an athletic big man, Becton’s body control could use some improving. He finds himself getting knocked off balance on occasion, and he sometimes ends up lunging when he strikes, making him susceptible to getting beat. And, while he carries his current weight very well, he might be better off losing a few pounds just to be safe.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Wait, was Greggggg Williams running his mouth again?  I'm shocked.

Why is Greggg even talking about a LT?!?! Doesn't he have some bounty he has to set on Allen and Beasley? Some coaching to do to Anderson about how to tear ligaments? 

Sounds like he is getting greedy and plotting what he is going to say as Interim HC... News flash Greggg, you will be out once they hire some other bum off the street to be HC because you are garbage!

• Like (+1) 1

"You better git ready for a fistfight in a phone booth, YEEEEEE HAAAAAWWWW!"

What a jackass.  What does that even mean?  Greggggg has become a caricature of himself, quickly approaching Rex Ryan status.

I really hope the Bills hang 40 on them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Last year was a down year until it mattered most.  He claims he was injured, we’ll see.  2 years ago was the best Jerry Hughes in a Bills uniform imo. He didn’t have the sacks, but he dominated his opposition on a weekly basis.  His pass rush grade (or qb pressures, iirc) was number 1 in the league for DEs.  If not 1st, dam close.  

I think he’s better than most people realize.  Too bad all anyone cares about is sack stats. 

I think he is a good player.   He had a strip sack against Tannehill a few years back that was one of the most athletic plays I've ever seen a defender make,  I just dont think he is dominate.   This has more to do with Becton, who I think is going to be a good player, and what the Jets do to help him.   If I had to put money on which defensive end has a better game against their tackle on Sunday, my money would be on Addison.

53 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’ll be breaking tradition by not wearing my Jerry jersey opening day because dude is so massive I’m worried he’ll be shut down.  

Wasn’t it the Gase coached fins that slathered us with Ajayi?

Hopefully we field more than 10 defenders 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think he is a good player.   He had a strip sack against Tannehill a few years back that was one of the most athletic plays I've ever seen a defender make,  I just dont think he is dominate.   This has more to do with Becton, who I think is going to be a good player, and what the Jets do to help him.   If I had to put money on which defensive end has a better game against their tackle on Sunday, my money would be on Addison.

He’s not “dominant” no.  There are a handful of those in the league imo.