CBS All Access / VPN experiment failed

Ra-cha-cha

20 hours ago, Ra-cha-cha said:

Folks:

I've tried to get CBS All Access with a VPN to get me the local CBS station in Buffalo.

Unfortunately, however, the entire experiment was a bust.

I tried (luckily all with cancelable trial periods) 4 VPS (Nord, Ghost, PrivateVPN and SlickVPN).  I tried accessing my 'local' CBS station on CBS All Access using both the normal & hidden versions of Chrome, Edge, Firefox/Brave & Internet Explorer.

Not one of those combinations allowed me to see a WNY local CBS station.

Looks like I'm off to a bar here in Bradenton, FL this Sunday .....................

Hardnox and a VPN?

20 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Let me know how well it works.  I used Kaspersky secure Connection VPN (not Express VPN), connected through England, I had some success with it where I could trick it, but not very often.

It works great. I used it all last season.

17 hours ago, Buftex said:

Dumb question: if you buy an international version of Gamepass, can you watch the games live?  Domestically, you can't watch them until about a half hour after they end.

Yes, I watched most games live on it last season

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes it worked,  I have some other methods up my sleeve, but this is a good back up and will consider it as may be more reliable. 

Hmm there's now a Carbones Pizza in Buffalo.  That is one place I missed from when I lived in Rochester

Thanks for the explanation!

Fwiw, Carbones has been in Buffalo for 40 years. From their website it said Buffalo was their 1st location here. The one in North Greece didnt open til 10 years later.

https://www.carbones-pizzeria.com/about

Regarding watching the games on Sunday. Plenty of people will be around come gametime. If people are unable to watch the game for whatever reason, BillsMafia will be there to help :P

2 hours ago, brianthomas said:

Fwiw, Carbones has been in Buffalo for 40 years. From their website it said Buffalo was their 1st location here. The one in North Greece didnt open til 10 years later.

https://www.carbones-pizzeria.com/about

Regarding watching the games on Sunday. Plenty of people will be around come gametime. If people are unable to watch the game for whatever reason, BillsMafia will be there to help :P

LOL I always thought it was a Rochester thing first, the two in Greece went to quite a bit.  Looking at their menu, 10 wings  $10.25 I remember first going to Carbone's were $3

Probably the two things I miss the most no longer living up their are Dinosaur BBQ and Carbones.  Don't believe the Dinosaur that opened in downtown Buffalo lasted very long though.

• Like (+1) 1

Did any of the VPN's have a server in Buffalo??   

I used to use FrostVPN when I lived away from The area they have a server (well had I was using it) That is how I watched Sabres games and bills games. 

Edited by gordong

16 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm just tired of people bitching that they can't have things for free.

I get tired of paying for things I don't need or want or have the time to use. That's why the cable companies are in trouble with cord cutting and why there are so many people looking for alternatives here. I want Bills games, maybe not even all of them but my options are to pay for all this other stuff. So I find what I need and am willing to pay for.

4 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I get tired of paying for things I don't need or want or have the time to use. That's why the cable companies are in trouble with cord cutting and why there are so many people looking for alternatives here. I want Bills games, maybe not even all of them but my options are to pay for all this other stuff. So I find what I need and am willing to pay for.

And if that violates laws or terms of service so be it 

On 9/10/2020 at 7:10 PM, Cinga said:

Y'all are doing it wrong with CBS if you're trying to use a VPN... Save the money, and do it yourself. 

Hopefully I don't get banned, but I doubt this is illegal since I can go out of town on business and CBS All Access will pick up that local channel where i am. You're just going to fool it to think you're somewhere else.

You might want to dedicate a browser JUST for this, if you use Chrome, CC Cleaner browser is almost exactly the same. See the 3 dots at the top right? Click on them, got to Developer tools.

Once there is the hardest part, you have to find the Sensors. Your probably going to have to click those 3 dots a little lower than the others this time.

Now that you're in Sensors, see the Location? It probably shows "No Over Ride" but go ahead and click Manage. Here you'll see a few pre-loaded locations, and see that it is by geolocation? That's latitude and longitude. I hope most of you can find lat and long for somewhere in Buffalo area. Once you do, click Add Location. Don't worry about the time zone and stuff, not needed but name your new location. YOU WILL NEED TO LOAD IT EVERY TIME YOU GO TO CBS! I just leave it open on the right until I'm watching WIVB then I close it. If you make a mistake and forget, close out of CBS right away, and try it again... This is one of the reasons a totally separate browser is a good idea so the cache from it doesn't interfere and if it messes up, you can always uninstall and re-install with no loss of other important stuff.

Now you just learned a large part of what a VPN does for you and it cost you nothing.... 😉 

Ok so I did this the other night and for the test asked for pizza near me and it went to Buffalo.  Tried it again now using a browser I  had not opened since I did this experiment on Thursday, but now it's defaulting back to my actual location.  I do recall the other night too about asking me to OK current location, today I didn't get that pop up asking me. 

So how do I reinitialize?

Or is the problem while I didn't use that browser since Thursday, I have used other ones, so that reset it?  And if so how do I un-reset it?

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Ok so I did this the other night and for the test asked for pizza near me and it went to Buffalo.  Tried it again now using a browser I  had not opened since I did this experiment on Thursday, but now it's defaulting back to my actual location.  I do recall the other night too about asking me to OK current location, today I didn't get that pop up asking me. 

So how do I reinitialize?

Or is the problem while I didn't use that browser since Thursday, I have used other ones, so that reset it?  And if so how do I un-reset it?

It's easy actually, but easy to forget to do. If you look at your geolocation before doing anything, you'll see it is there, but you can't click into it. That's okay though, just select another of the locations loaded, then click back to your created one. This activates it again... Hope you were still able to enjoy the game!

On 9/10/2020 at 11:39 AM, Shaw66 said:

I'm so glad someone posted about ExpressVPN.  I signed up yesterday, picked a German server and bought NFLGAMEPASS for about $200.  Now I will get all the games.

So with game pass used overseas you can watch live?  You use your USA credentials to purchase but the make it look like you on i Germany to get access?

On 9/10/2020 at 8:35 AM, MJS said:

It's an antiquated model to not let fans watch whatever games they want.

If anything else this 2020 year of suck and shelter at home has taught folks, it should be that giving your fans the ability to watch their pro teams play from where ever they are at should be the baseline going forward.

Cancelled my Center Ice subscription a few years back because every freaking time I desparately needed to watch the Sabres remotely (like when I was slowly dying alone in a school hallway while my little girl learns piano) it would tell me that it was being broadcasted somewhere local so not available.

And I lost it after I literally bought into the premium platinum and you'll never miss a game yada yada... BS and found they still blocked games, but I could watch the replay later...seriously?

Maybe they have changed their money grubbing ways...I wouldn't know.

Cancelled for years and maybe for good, just catch the games when I can and read the recaps.