Notable cuts around the league

Chandler#81

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

honestly, a strong disagree here. Most football crowds are going to have some challenge with him but I think bills fans would be among the harder to win over. Which is silly, but such is life.

at this point, with his development so broken after years out of the league, he doesn’t make much sense anyway though.

I meant the city in general.  But in terms of fans what do we call winning over?  You think if he were leading the Bills to wins/playoff wins folks wouldn’t accept  him?   I do.  I think there is a greater diversity of Bills fans than you give credit to.   Some are just louder about things than others.

But as you say, he doesn’t really make sense for them anyway so it’s a moot point.  I suspect they will select an athletically gifted QB in the next draft who has greater potential than Barkley, Webb or Fromm.

5 hours ago, stevewin said:

I know it's not a popular opinion but I think you can over-emphasise keeping guys for STs.  STs are becoming less and less a part of the game - and Bass is supposed to be able to kick the ball out of the EZ every kickoff.  I get you have to be able to cover kicks - but I think that can be covered by good coaching even more than having "a great gunner"

You're mixing up punts and kickoffs a bit here...

Gunners cover punts. So they remain important pieces even though kickoffs have become a less dynamic part of the NFL. 

Your point isn't trash, though, as a powerful kicker like Bass can mostly (maybe 75-80% if he's above average) mitigate the need for great STs guys on kickoff coverage units in 2020. The Bills have been kinda terrible/mediocre here in recent years. Lots of kickoffs to actually cover.

On 9/4/2020 at 9:22 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

It's 2020.  You expected 🔼 something different?

At least with Nate, it won't go for hookers and blow.

I mean for as bad as bad as Peterson has been in live game action he has parlayed potential shown in practice and preseason into a nice chunk of change for himself.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Gunners cover punts. So they remain important pieces even though kickoffs have become a less dynamic part of the NFL. 

Your point isn't trash, though, as a powerful kicker like Bass can mostly (maybe 75-80% if he's above average) mitigate the need for great STs guys on kickoff coverage units in 2020. The Bills have been kinda terrible/mediocre here in recent years. Lots of kickoffs to actually cover.

Technically not just punts, contain is the outside guys for kickoff and the inside guy by the kicker is basically your gunner. They used to be the wedge buster so now it's straight shot at the return man  ala gunners.

2 minutes ago, Monty98 said:

Technically not just punts, contain is the outside guys for kickoff and the inside guy by the kicker is basically your gunner. They used to be the wedge buster so now it's straight shot at the return man  ala gunners.

I suppose that can also be true. I'm no expert. But the term "gunner" really does denote the outside guys on punt coverage units.

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

I suppose that can also be true. I'm no expert. But the term "gunner" really does denote the outside guys on punt coverage units.

When I played specials in my provincial league our ex college player coaches called them gunners based on responsibility

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

It is technically yes. The gunners line up on the outside of the formation. You can send interior guys but they tend to be your bigger bodies designed to disrupt the blocks.

Roosevelt Nix is a guy I would be looking into. It sure seems like Gilliam is a guy that the Bills like. But it concerns me a bit that they had his position switched to TE. Maybe they see him more as an Hback or #2/3 TE. If that’s the case, I want the former pro bowl FB to make sure we can run the ball. I’m in the minority or people that still like having a real FB on the roster. I want to see room for the two young RBs.

52 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Roosevelt Nix is a guy I would be looking into. It sure seems like Gilliam is a guy that the Bills like. But it concerns me a bit that they had his position switched to TE. Maybe they see him more as an Hback or #2/3 TE. If that’s the case, I want the former pro bowl FB to make sure we can run the ball. I’m in the minority or people that still like having a real FB on the roster. I want to see room for the two young RBs.

I read the number switch was for reason other than position change. With Knox a lock to start, the sure handed vet Kroft, the surprising Sweeney and McDermott’s favorite penalty machine Smith for blocking, that’s a full room. Add in DiMarco’s release and it’s very likely FB -when used- will be Gilliam’s spot. 

This said, we’ve heard a lot about more 22 personnel coming as a new wrinkle, so there’s injury protection here as well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Can we please just stop talking about Chad Kelly. Dude is 26, been cut twice, and is an idiot. He will never be better than a 3rd string QB, if that. 

We'll stop talking about Chad Kelly when he stops pulling Katzenjammer antics, both inside and outside of football.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

We'll stop talking about Chad Kelly when he stops pulling Katzenjammer antics, both inside and outside of football.

He’s an immature punk with team name affiliation. He has some skills -which is why he’s still an NFL prospect. So No, @BillsFan2313, we won’t stop talking about him until he’s completely out of the League. It’s what we do here.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

though anecdotally I just randomly pulled 2000 team rankings on average return allowed to compare to 2019 

team with the lowest average return allowed was a full yard longer in 2000

the hIghest allowed was 3.5 higher in 2000

and in 2019 only 2 teams allowed 10 yards a return while in 2000 13 did.

so there was a pretty substantial decrease across the range and would argue that actual returns got less valuable and ball security and not giving up long bounces from not fielding the ball are becoming more key with the actual return diminished 

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

He’s an immature punk with team name affiliation. He has some skills -which is why he’s still an NFL prospect. So No, @BillsFan2313, we won’t stop talking about him until he’s completely out of the League. It’s what we do here.

And when he’s fully out we will unfortunately probably end up talking about some sort of terrible melt down that lands him in trouble. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/6/2020 at 8:05 AM, Chandler#81 said:

What skills? 

21 hours ago, NoSaint said:

And when he’s fully out we will unfortunately probably end up talking about some sort of terrible melt down that lands him in trouble. 

I can see it now. People on this board will say he never got a chance.