Presidential Debates 2020

B-Man

59 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

The only real thing that came out of this debate is the real possibility that trump is trying to create his own internal army ( this happened in 1930s in Germany, later called Gestapo). ...Poor Boys, White Supremists etc...to intimidate at voting booths and rallies. 

Oh. My. God. 

Tell me if ya heard this one before, a liberal walks into a bar and calls Trump, Hitler. 

ive skimmed mein kampf — Hitler is NOT like Trump. 

yes, I skimmed. It’s horribly whinny and boring. 

Edited by Dragoon

1 minute ago, Dragoon said:

Oh. My. God. 

Tell me if ya heard this one before, a liberal walks into a bar and calls Trump, Hitler. 

The best part is when he said "disrupting rallies".  You could blow up a Biden "Rally" by sending in a toddler with a lit sparkler.

• Haha (+1) 3

Chris Wallace blames Trump for chaotic debate: He 'bears the primary responsibility'

"I had baked this beautiful, delicious cake and then frankly the President put his foot in it," Wallace said.

"That was frustrating," Wallace added. "It was frustrating for me because I tried hard to prepare for a serious debate, much more frustrating and more importantly for the American people because they didn't get the debate they wanted that they deserved."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/01/media/chris-wallace-trump-biden-debate/index.html

40 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Oh. My. God. 

Wait and see...

43 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

That was just about the time (1932) when communist backed Antifa was first formed in Germany. 

Yes.

Yes, but the Gestapo took over and I am sure you do not agree with the results...right?

1 hour ago, New Improved DC Tom said:

That's not what happened in '30s Germany.  You're a ***** idiot.

Of course it is ashole...you are the friggen idiot...look in the mirror...

You have not got a friggin intelligent thought...stay in DC with your fellow gold diggers..

Just now, Dragoon said:

Mein Kamph had three main grievances. Do you know what they are? 

Never read it but you have so what does that say about you...trump wants to be dictator, all powerful Laguna...you ate part of the armed guard...

Your country is in jeopardy...wake up!

3 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Of course it is ashole...you are the friggen idiot...look in the mirror...

You have not got a friggin intelligent thought...stay in DC with your fellow gold diggers..

Never read it but you have so what does that say about you...trump wants to be dictator, all powerful Laguna...you ate part of the armed guard...

Your country is in jeopardy...wake up!

What it says about me is that I took the time to understand the man. I took the time to learn about him and his motivations. I took the time to learn what turned him into a monster. I took the time to learn so that I can recognize the conditions that created a travesty. Do you not see the value in that? 

Also, you kinda just admitted you don’t know what you’re talking about and you’re just parroting Hitler without sufficient knowledge of what you’re saying. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dragoon said:

What it says about me is that I took the time to understand the man. I took the time to learn about him and his motivations. I took the time to learn what turned him into a monster. I took the time to learn so that I can recognize the conditions that created a travesty. Do you not see the value in that? 

Also, you kinda just admitted you don’t know what you’re talking about and you’re just parroting Hitler without sufficient knowledge of what you’re saying. 

Be nice to him.   You have no idea the level of effort he's put in to remain this stupid.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, ALF said:

Chris Wallace blames Trump for chaotic debate: He 'bears the primary responsibility'

"I had baked this beautiful, delicious cake and then frankly the President put his foot in it," Wallace said.

"That was frustrating," Wallace added. "It was frustrating for me because I tried hard to prepare for a serious debate, much more frustrating and more importantly for the American people because they didn't get the debate they wanted that they deserved."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/01/media/chris-wallace-trump-biden-debate/index.html

My goodness what a whiner.  The average talking head pseudo-journalist is very skilled in interrupting people, talking over people and demanding answers.  It’s a common technique, it disarms people, it gets them off their game and is designed to screw with their train of thought. 

Wallace does it himself.  Anyone who “prepared” for a Biden debate or interview knows he is very good in that setting.  Anyone who prepared for a debate involving Trump knows he is very comfortable throwing shots and will not back down.  

Wallace is really just another weak talking head with little heart. 

—Actually, a very good example of the application of the technique came today in the WH press room.  Reporter asks question in a reasonable enough fashion.  Press Secretary answers, reporter follows up, Press Secty begins to answer again and reporter immediately and continuously talks over the Preaa Secty.  On and on it goes.  There is no desire for an answer, just an opportunity for the reporter to talk over Press Secty in the hopes she breaks her stride, gets mixed up or loses her cool. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

55 minutes ago, ALF said:

I heard numerous observers state that there were no interruptions in the first 2 minutes by either party but Biden was the first to interrupt Trump 3 times while answering the next question. Today on the Bill Hemmer show Chris Wallace stated that Trump was the first to do any interrupting. Wallace also sounded very bitter and partisan during his time on air. On a side note, my attention was diverted at the same time this was going on while the GPS lady kept mispronouncing Kuntz Road in Erie. 

13 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I heard numerous observers state that there were no interruptions in the first 2 minutes by either party but Biden was the first to interrupt Trump 3 times while answering the next question. Today on the Bill Hemmer show Chris Wallace stated that Trump was the first to do any interrupting. Wallace also sounded very bitter and partisan during his time on air. On a side note, my attention was diverted at the same time this was going on while the GPS lady kept mispronouncing Kuntz Road in Erie. 

It was all around ugly. Let’s hope both do better next time.

11 hours ago, Dragoon said:

I did not parrot hitler,  I only mention the development of an internal political army like the Poor Boys, and militia groups trump covers as supporters.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

I did not parrot hitler,  I only mention the development of an internal political army like the Poor Boys, and militia groups trump covers as supporters.

And what are BLM and Antifa?  Ideas?

From Ann Althouse. She went back to her notes in the 2012 Joe Biden vs Paul Ryan debate.

For her it comes down to: Trump was not going to let Biden do to him what Biden did to Ryan.  The debate study saw what Biden did, once Biden started the interruptions, that was it for Trump. Chris Wallace not stopping Biden's original interruption (yes, Biden was the first to interrupt) allowed Trump to see how this was going to go. And Trump is a fighter, not a milquetoast.

</snip>

Biden is being rude, laughing and mouthing words.... Biden mutters an interruption. When Biden is given a turn, he calls what Ryan said "malarky."... Ryan is speaking earnestly... and Biden is chuckling toothily, his body shaking like Santa Claus.... When Ryan speaks, Biden is laughing clownishly again. It looks just awful... Biden is acting as though he cannot physically tolerate Ryan having a turn to speak!... Biden continually interrupts Ryan in a way I find incredibly annoying.... While Ryan is talking... Biden sighs long and loud... Biden interrupts.

</snip>

Debating Trump, Biden got a big serving of what he dished out 8 years ago. Ryan did a fantastic job of maintaining his cool, staying substantive, and going high when Biden went low. And then he lost the election. I'm sure Biden would have been willing to do what he did in 2012 and be completely rude and irritating as hell once again, but he's 8 years older, and, more importantly, Donald Trump is not Paul Ryan. Trump is Trump, and Trump saw the ultra-polished and polite Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan go down to defeat.

</snip>

And from the comments:

</snip>

The precise failure of Chris Wallace is this: Biden starts interrupting and heckling of Trunp's two-minute speech. Wallace does not chastise Biden, and allow Slow Joe to get away with it. So, Trump is faced with a choice -- get trampled (as Ryan did) or interrupt back. He chose the latter, and, alas, you get a messy debate.

</snip>

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

They have a point.

But it only works because Trump is so stubborn. Everything is one of those "yes, but the real threat is from antifa, etc, etc."

He could have put it to rest a long, long time ago after Charlottesville. He didn't.

He answered it before Charlottesville.  He addressed it during Charlottesville. He has answered it since Charlottesville.  While I agree he could be more direct in answering the question, I also don't blame him either since he's already addressed it countless times before. 

1 minute ago, BillsFanNC said:

He answered it before Charlottesville.  He addressed it during Charlottesville. He has answered it since Charlottesville.  While I agree he could be more direct in answering the question, I also don't blame him either since he's already addressed it countless times before. 

No. Because the rule -- and it's a sensible one -- is this: don't give the "yes, but" answer in these situations.

He can't do it. 

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

No. Because the rule -- and it's a sensible one -- is this: don't give the "yes, but" answer in these situations.

He can't do it. 

He has answered without the "yes, but" response before, but of course that wasn't good enough. Because its not an honest question, its an accusation. 

Given this interest yet again with Trump and white supremacists,  I'm sure that you agree that Joe Biden should be asked to denounce his previous comments praising Robert Byrd? 

1 minute ago, BillsFanNC said:

He has answered without the "yes, but" response before, but of course that wasn't good enough. Because its not an honest question, its an accusation. 

Given this interest yet again with Trump and white supremacists,  I'm sure that you agree that Joe Biden should be asked to denounce his previous comments praising Robert Byrd? 

This is perhaps the silliest talking point being pushed out now.

Byrd had a horrible history with the KKK as a young man. But he had clearly, unequivocally, openly apologized for that and disavowed any such beliefs for decades.

A lot of pro-Trump posters are ostensibly Christians.

We believe in redemption.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

This is perhaps the silliest talking point being pushed out now.

Byrd had a horrible history with the KKK as a young man. But he had clearly, unequivocally, openly apologized for that and disavowed any such beliefs for decades.

A lot of pro-Trump posters are ostensibly Christians.

We believe in redemption.

Right. Imagine if Trump had associations with Robert Byrd in his past. Would that association be shrugged off now as a nothingburger? Yeah, right. 

For the record I dont believe Biden or Trump are racist or support white supremacists. Im simply playing by the rules the left and media have instituted.  You seem to want to selectively enforce these new rules. Why?

Just now, BillsFanNC said:

Right. Imagine if Trump had associations with Robert Byrd in his past. Would that association be shrugged off now as a nothingburger? Yeah, right. 

For the record I dont believe Biden or Trump are racist or support white supremacists. Im simply playing by the rules the left and media have instituted.  You seem to want to selectively enforce these new rules. Why?

No. I'm sure some do that. Not me.

A lot of these old guys -- let's face it, that's what Biden and Trump are -- dealt with open and proud racists throughout their careers. Many worked for or with the Strom Thurmonds of the world. That's the world they came up in.

The test is what you do and say now, or in your recent (when you're 74 or 77, that means "in the last 40 years" or so) life.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

No. I'm sure some do that. Not me.

A lot of these old guys -- let's face it, that's what Biden and Trump are -- dealt with open and proud racists throughout their careers. Many worked for or with the Strom Thurmonds of the world. That's the world they came up in.

The test is what you do and say now, or in your recent (when you're 74 or 77, that means "in the last 40 years" or so) life.

So things like "Poor kids are just as smart as white kids" and "If you don't vote for me, you're not black..."

Got it. 

• Like (+1) 1

htThe Most Illuminating Moment of the Debate

“After eight months of funerals, for hundreds of thousands of American families, the kind of grief that Biden speaks of, the kind that accompanies the loss of a loved one, is no longer distant. [Trump] stood in front of that grieving nation, and taunted a father while he was speaking of his lost son. Before the eyes of a nation struggling with an opioid epidemic, he mocked a dad for having a kid with a drug problem.”

And according to @Buffalo_Gal - liberals are filled with hate.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

68798.jpg?w=600

What does something I don't believe in have to do with that quote?  Couldn't find any pictures of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?  Marvin the Martian?

Are you pretending that Jesus would belong to a political party?  You can't possibly be that dumb.