Presidential Debates 2020

B-Man

DEBATE MODERATORS SELECTED; IT COULD BE WORSE

We now know who will moderate the three scheduled presidential debates. Chris Wallace of Fox News will moderate the first one, on September 29. Steve Scully of C-SPAN will moderate the second, on October 15. Kristen Welker of NBC News will moderate the third, on October 22.

There will be one vice presidential debate. It will take place on October 7, with Susan Page of USA Today as the moderator.

Wallace, we know, will be tough on both candidates. I don’t think either one can expect to gain an edge by virtue of his presence.

Scully, to my knowledge, doesn’t have a track record moderating debates or questioning candidates for office in intense settings. However, his work on C-SPAN seems fair. I believe I appeared with him years ago (clearly he has come up in the world), and if I’m thinking of the right guy, he played it straight.

The mere fact that he’s not with a liberal network — ABC, CBS, CNN, or NBC — seems like a win for the Trump campaign. But we’ll see.

Welker of NBC is part of the braying, Trump-hating White House press corps. From what I can tell, she’s not high on the list of serious offenders. However, there’s good reason to doubt her impartiality. Her claim that Kamala Harris, arguably the Senate’s most liberal member, cultivated a moderate image should have been enough to disqualify her.

Welker is African-American. There was always going to be one African-American moderator and he/she was always going to be pro-Democrat. That’s the cost of doing business these days.

Page of USA Today also comes across as pro-Democrat. For example, she defended shoddy New York Times reporting during the controversy over Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination.

As far as I can tell, then, the lineup of moderators consists of two who are pro-Democrat and two who seem down the middle. And for the presidential debates, straight shooters make up the majority.

It’s not a fair lineup, but it could be worse.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Your views are skewed by something.  Perhaps a myopia with respect to abortion and your First Amendment right to practice your prosperity-influenced religion.  Would your time be better used by protesting outside of an abortion clinic?  Or helping pregnant teens keep their babies?  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

My views are skewed by something.  Perhaps a myopia with respect to abortion and my First Amendment right to practice Stalin level agitation propaganda.  Would my time be better used by protesting outside of a methadone clinic?  Or helping pregnant teens kill their babies?  

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/3/2020 at 11:14 AM, B-Man said:

DEBATE MODERATORS SELECTED; IT COULD BE WORSE

We now know who will moderate the three scheduled presidential debates. Chris Wallace of Fox News will moderate the first one, on September 29. Steve Scully of C-SPAN will moderate the second, on October 15. Kristen Welker of NBC News will moderate the third, on October 22.

There will be one vice presidential debate. It will take place on October 7, with Susan Page of USA Today as the moderator.

Wallace, we know, will be tough on both candidates. I don’t think either one can expect to gain an edge by virtue of his presence.

Scully, to my knowledge, doesn’t have a track record moderating debates or questioning candidates for office in intense settings. However, his work on C-SPAN seems fair. I believe I appeared with him years ago (clearly he has come up in the world), and if I’m thinking of the right guy, he played it straight.

The mere fact that he’s not with a liberal network — ABC, CBS, CNN, or NBC — seems like a win for the Trump campaign. But we’ll see.

Welker of NBC is part of the braying, Trump-hating White House press corps. From what I can tell, she’s not high on the list of serious offenders. However, there’s good reason to doubt her impartiality. Her claim that Kamala Harris, arguably the Senate’s most liberal member, cultivated a moderate image should have been enough to disqualify her.

Welker is African-American. There was always going to be one African-American moderator and he/she was always going to be pro-Democrat. That’s the cost of doing business these days.

Page of USA Today also comes across as pro-Democrat. For example, she defended shoddy New York Times reporting during the controversy over Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination.

As far as I can tell, then, the lineup of moderators consists of two who are pro-Democrat and two who seem down the middle. And for the presidential debates, straight shooters make up the majority.

It’s not a fair lineup, but it could be worse.

Steve Scully was a former Joe Biden intern and Ted Kennedy media office worker.

Wiki, with sources:

Scully received an undergraduate degree with honors in communication and political science from American University in Washington, D.C. During his degree he completed a study abroad program at the University of Copenhagen, interned with Sen. Joe Biden [5][6], and in Sen. Ted Kennedy’s media affairs office.[7][8]

So, Trump against everyone once again. We know Biden will get the questions from Scully and  Welker.  A Wallace staff member might cough 'em up, too. He's the iffiest one to me.

I am still not betting money that these happen.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Steve Scully was a former Joe Biden intern and Ted Kennedy media office worker.

Wiki, with sources:

Scully received an undergraduate degree with honors in communication and political science from American University in Washington, D.C. During his degree he completed a study abroad program at the University of Copenhagen, interned with Sen. Joe Biden [5][6], and in Sen. Ted Kennedy’s media affairs office.[7][8]

So, Trump against everyone once again. We know Biden will get the questions from Scully and  Welker.  A Wallace staff member might cough 'em up, too. He's the iffiest one to me.

I am still not betting money that these happen.

Might as well be Tibs, Section 0 and Warren Zebra.

• Like (+1) 3

Yesterday, in discussing the three moderators selected for the presidential debates, I described Steve Scully as probably “down the middle” and probably a “straight shooter,” as opposed to being pro-Democrat. That’s my impression of his work.

However, this biography notes that “while attending college, [Scully] served as an intern in the office of Delaware Sen. Joseph R. Biden, and later a staff assistant in Sen. Edward M. Kennedy’s communication office.” Scully attended college in the early 1980s.

Neither Scully’s internship with Biden nor his work for Kennedy mean that he’s pro-Biden or pro-Democrat more than three decades later, or that he won’t behave fairly as a moderator. Brian Lamb, the long time head C-SPAN where Scully works, was on the staff of United Citizens for Nixon-Agnew and served as press secretary for a Republican Senator. Lamb is, for the most part, a straight shooter. I’ve never seen him lean Republican or conservative in his work.

However, it’s odd to have a presidential debate moderated by someone who once worked for one of the candidates — even if he was just an intern in the distant past. I’m surprised that Scully made himself a candidate for this task.

Having done so, I hope he disclosed his past affiliation with Biden. If he did, and Team Trump agreed to him anyway, I suppose there can be no objection.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/09/steve-scully-an-update.php

After Chris's interview with Trump, he seems to have a new found respect for Trump. He remarked that he grilled him for a couple 

of hours on a really hot day and he didn't duck any questions, and was quite personable to him.

I've heard him say many times he's disappointed Biden keeps ducking him.

• Like (+1) 1

Why Biden Will Withdraw From the Debates

by Rob Crisell

Original Article

William Shakespeare famously observed that “all the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players.” One of these players, Joe Biden, is currently trying out for the biggest role of his life. Unfortunately, he’s in danger of bombing the audition. He’s flubbing lines, breaking character, and occasionally forgetting the plot. His rambling, often incoherent speech in front of a supportive audience at a church in Kenosha, Wisconsin, on September 3 shows that he’s no longer playing the role of viable presidential candidate. Instead, he’s stumbled into the last scene of Shakespeare’s “strange, eventful history” — “second childishness and mere oblivion.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

by Rob Crisell

Original Article

William Shakespeare famously observed that “all the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players.” One of these players, Joe Biden, is currently trying out for the biggest role of his life. Unfortunately, he’s in danger of bombing the audition. He’s flubbing lines, breaking character, and occasionally forgetting the plot. His rambling, often incoherent speech in front of a supportive audience at a church in Kenosha, Wisconsin, on September 3 shows that he’s no longer playing the role of viable presidential candidate. Instead, he’s stumbled into the last scene of Shakespeare’s “strange, eventful history” — “second childishness and mere oblivion.”

Can you please find that quote where Biden (unlike Trump) questioned his participation in the debates?

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

by Rob Crisell

Original Article

https://spectator.org/biden-debates-trump/

If Biden defies my prediction and proceeds with the debates — whether out of misplaced confidence or desperation — they are far more likely to be a disaster for him than a success. Although he and Trump are roughly the same age, right now they are worlds apart in terms of their mental and physical abilities. Moreover, Biden’s former, more moderate positions on law and order, patriotism, religious liberties, business, even pro-life issues — are at loggerheads with the progressive stances he’s been forced to adopt in the new Democratic Party.

Edited by Niagara

3 minutes ago, Niagara said:

If Biden defies my prediction and proceeds with the debates — whether out of misplaced confidence or desperation — they are far more likely to be a disaster for him than a success. Although he and Trump are roughly the same age, right now they are worlds apart in terms of their mental and physical abilities. Moreover, Biden’s former, more moderate positions on law and order, patriotism, religious liberties, business, even pro-life issues — are at loggerheads with the progressive stances he’s been forced to adopt in the new Democratic Party.

This topic deserves its own thread. Perhaps call it the debate thread.

Let's set aside "mental abilities" for the moment. (I think they are both in decline.) 

Really, "physicial abilities?" I assume the argument is that somehow Trump -- an obese man who has problems navigating a ramp or drinking from a cup -- is somehow more physically fit than Biden? Based on what?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Let's set aside "mental abilities" for the moment. (I think they are both in decline.) 

Really, "physicial abilities?" I assume the argument is that somehow Trump -- an obese man who has problems navigating a ramp or drinking from a cup -- is somehow more physically fit than Biden? Based on what?

Q: How many 1 1/2 hr. rallys Joe doing across the country, with thousands in attendance?

A: a big fat zero

.....so there's that for starters.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, I am the egg man said:

Q: How many 1 1/2 hr. rallys Joe doing across the country, with thousands in attendance?

A: a big fat zero

.....so there's that for starters.

As John Wooden said, "Never mistake activity for achievement." Rambling on in the nature of an insult comic =/= intellectual or physical vigor.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

As John Wooden said, "Never mistake activity for achievement." Rambling on in the nature of an insult comic =/= intellectual or physical vigor.

People actually enjoy sitting there and listening to him vomit out nonsense is strange 

45 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Why do you hate Trump so much? Seriously, I don't mean for this to come across as attacking you. I just want to understand the deep level of hatred for the President of the United states. I agree you don't have to like him, but such hate I've never seen in politics in my life. I jut want to understand why you feel the way you do. 

Edited by westside2
  • Like (+1) 1