Presidential Debates 2020

B-Man

5 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

So he didn't condemn white supremecy?

I agree. It's pretty obvious.

he actually did....they asked him if he denounced it and he said "sure" three times.  the only ambiguous thing he said was about the proud boys to stand by which he then cleared up yesterday.   

do you admit he has denounced racism on many occasions with the proof that i provided you?

Just now, aristocrat said:

so why won't you answer my question?

You're wasting your breath. Gary is never one to have an honest discussion, he's here to defend the indefensible because he's broken. His track record makes it clear he's a schmuck with a propensity for stupidity and dishonesty. Take the W, kick some dirt on him, then forget him. 

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

so why won't you answer my question?

Done it plenty of times already aristo. You're not worth the conversation.

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

You're wasting your breath. Gary is never one to have an honest discussion, he's here to defend the indefensible because he's broken. His track record makes it clear he's a schmuck with a propensity for stupidity and dishonesty. Take the W, kick some dirt on him, then forget him. 

And this. I'm broken, and a schmuck with a propensity for stupidity and dishonesty.

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You saying something about someone else's honesty? Sad 

How is Q-land these days?

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

What else are they going to say?  He's been their Liberal standards bearer since they tossed Alan Colmes to the side.  At least he doesn't look like he's put together with parts from the sort bin.

What else are they going to say, he should have spanked the unruly Trump? 

Everyone else is to blame but the pile of trash you guys pushed to the top. Unreal 

I agree with Senator Cruz, but

I have long held that it does NOT have to be a media personality at all.

There are tens of thousands of Americans out there who are more than capable of moderating a debate.

Especially if we go back to the question/ rebuttal system used for centuries before our debate "commission" ruined it. 

SPOILER: HE DIDN’T USE MANY FACTS. 

Presidential Debate Number One: A Biden Fact-Chec.

Old dog, no new tricks...........

"Biden continually interrupts Ryan in a way I find incredibly annoying."

I'm rereading my live-blogging of the October 11, 2012 debate between Joe Biden and Paul Ryan. It's making me view Trump's debate behavior in a different way. I hated the way Biden treated the very polite, earnest Midwesterner Ryan. Excerpts (with timestamps omitted):
Biden is being rude, laughing and mouthing words.... Biden mutters an interruption. When Biden is given a turn, he calls what Ryan said "malarky."...
Ryan is speaking earnestly... and Biden is chuckling toothily, his body shaking like Santa Claus.... When Ryan speaks, Biden is laughing clownishly again. It looks just awful... Biden is acting as though he cannot physically tolerate Ryan having a turn to speak!... Biden continually interrupts Ryan in a way I find incredibly annoying.... While Ryan is talking... Biden sighs long and loud... Biden interrupts. Ryan says: "Mr. Vice President, I know you're under a lot of duress to make up for lost ground, but I think everyone will be better served if we don't keep interrupting each other."
I love the politeness of "if we don't keep" — we — when Biden has been an interruption machine and Ryan has barely interrupted and only occasionally has talked over to keep from losing his turn.
The moderator, Martha Raddatz has done nothing at all to control Biden.... The stress level is rising. Biden is so angry. Why is he yelling? Ryan needs nerves of steel not to lose his cool. I'm impressed that Ryan, when he gets his turn, is able to speak in an even, natural voice. It's hard to concentrate on the policy itself, because the emotional static is so strong... That debate was so annoying! Some of the CNN commentators are talking about how Biden did what he came to do, to fire up the Democrats. "This was not for the independents," says Van Jones. Okay, well, but independents were watching, and Biden was horribly rude. He created this disturbing atmosphere of anxiety.

Debating Trump, Biden got a big serving of what he dished out 8 years ago. Ryan did a fantastic job of maintaining his cool, staying substantive, and going high when Biden went low. And then he lost the election. I'm sure Biden would have been willing to do what he did in 2012 and be completely rude and irritating as hell once again, but he's 8 years older, and, more importantly, Donald Trump is not Paul Ryan. Trump is Trump, and Trump saw the ultra-polished and polite Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan go down to defeat.

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And on the third day he relented.

Blessed are those who didn't need three days to say what any decent human being would say.

LOL..........he has repeatedly said "IT" 

You just wanted to spread the spin...........we expect it.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Old dog, no new tricks...........

"Biden continually interrupts Ryan in a way I find incredibly annoying."

I'm rereading my live-blogging of the October 11, 2012 debate between Joe Biden and Paul Ryan. It's making me view Trump's debate behavior in a different way. I hated the way Biden treated the very polite, earnest Midwesterner Ryan. Excerpts (with timestamps omitted):
Biden is being rude, laughing and mouthing words.... Biden mutters an interruption. When Biden is given a turn, he calls what Ryan said "malarky."...
Ryan is speaking earnestly... and Biden is chuckling toothily, his body shaking like Santa Claus.... When Ryan speaks, Biden is laughing clownishly again. It looks just awful... Biden is acting as though he cannot physically tolerate Ryan having a turn to speak!... Biden continually interrupts Ryan in a way I find incredibly annoying.... While Ryan is talking... Biden sighs long and loud... Biden interrupts. Ryan says: "Mr. Vice President, I know you're under a lot of duress to make up for lost ground, but I think everyone will be better served if we don't keep interrupting each other."
I love the politeness of "if we don't keep" — we — when Biden has been an interruption machine and Ryan has barely interrupted and only occasionally has talked over to keep from losing his turn.
The moderator, Martha Raddatz has done nothing at all to control Biden.... The stress level is rising. Biden is so angry. Why is he yelling? Ryan needs nerves of steel not to lose his cool. I'm impressed that Ryan, when he gets his turn, is able to speak in an even, natural voice. It's hard to concentrate on the policy itself, because the emotional static is so strong... That debate was so annoying! Some of the CNN commentators are talking about how Biden did what he came to do, to fire up the Democrats. "This was not for the independents," says Van Jones. Okay, well, but independents were watching, and Biden was horribly rude. He created this disturbing atmosphere of anxiety.

Debating Trump, Biden got a big serving of what he dished out 8 years ago. Ryan did a fantastic job of maintaining his cool, staying substantive, and going high when Biden went low. And then he lost the election. I'm sure Biden would have been willing to do what he did in 2012 and be completely rude and irritating as hell once again, but he's 8 years older, and, more importantly, Donald Trump is not Paul Ryan. Trump is Trump, and Trump saw the ultra-polished and polite Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan go down to defeat.

LOL..........he has repeatedly said "IT" 

You just wanted to spread the spin...........we expect it.

You're right about Biden. He did do that to Paul Ryan, who I liked but who was too meek.

But that doesn't change the fact that Trump came off as the Interrupter in Chief by the clear majority of viewers. That's the fact. And it hurt him.

• Like (+1) 1

ROGER SIMON: Go Lincoln-Douglas: Eliminate Moderators from Presidential Debates.

“Let’s completely eliminate moderators from presidential debates, all of them, not just Chris Wallace, although I’m almost certain the vast majority of Fox viewers would be delighted to see him go altogether.

Presidential debates should be conducted in the time-honored Lincoln-Douglas style, just the two candidates by themselves on stage.”

It’s an idea so crazy, it just might work.

24 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016 - Find & Share on GIPHY

Hey, I'm showing MY work:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/519160-biden-opens-up-13-point-lead-over-trump-in-new-national-poll

Joe Biden has opened up a 13-point lead over President Trump in the wake of the first presidential debate, according to a new CNBC/Change Research survey released on Thursday.

The poll shows Biden garnering 54 percent of the vote to Trump’s 41 percent, with 53 percent of likely voters surveyed saying that the Democratic nominee performed better than Trump in the debate on Tuesday night, while only 29 percent said the president had the better performance. 

That debate quickly devolved into a raucous and chaotic event defined by frequent interruptions and hectoring by Trump, who has since sought to declare victory in the showdown.

But the CNBC/Change Research poll found that 45 percent of likely voters believe that Trump underperformed expectations at the debate, while only 11 percent said that Biden performed worse than expected. 

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You're right about Biden. He did do that to Paul Ryan, who I liked but who was too meek.

But that doesn't change the fact that Trump came off as the Interrupter in Chief by the clear majority of viewers. That's the fact. And it hurt him.

Nah. Some like it, some don’t.  The diff in reporting and outrage thereafter was Ryan was a R who looked like a surprised 10th grader, and was viewed as politics.  Biden Is D, who 8 years ago would never have allowed himself to be  batted around like he was, looked like an old guy who couldn’t keep his thoughts straight.   Now, 50 years of Biden doing this sort of thing is forgotten because Trump outBidened Biden.  

The plot thickens! But, Trump is not wrong. Every little nuance is discussed and agreed to well before the three debates. The debate commission cannot just go off willy-nilly and change what it likes without agreement from both sides.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The plot thickens! But, Trump is not wrong. Every little nuance is discussed and agreed to well before the three debates. The debate commission cannot just go off willy-nilly and change what it likes without agreement from both sides.

...now Biden wants a "mute" button......hell Joe, we'll make it "The Gong Show"...........

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And on the third day he relented.

Blessed are those who didn't need three days to say what any decent human being would say.

Give them the ounce they demand and they immediately demand a pound.

After a while, it just sounds a lot like whining.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

If they got neural links from elon musk we could just stop them from talking altogether. Might help with Biden's decline eventually as well...

...Musk would supply battery powered teleprompters to keep Joe upright.....hell make Elon the moderator......

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Good Lord. Mr. Trump, even your most ardent supporter doesn't say you "won" anything.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/940854/even-rush-limbaugh-admits-trumps-debate-strategy-didnt-work

I thought letting Joe loose for 2 minutes without interruption would reveal his advanced senility. So why you gotta keep interrupting him?

• Haha (+1) 1

The only real thing that came out of this debate is the real possibility that trump is trying to create his own internal army ( this happened in 1930s in Germany, later called Gestapo). ...Poor Boys, White Supremists etc...to intimidate at voting booths and rallies. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Umm, pretty sure that's David Brooks. He ain't on the list. Maybe these tweet stormers should read before they post?

https://www.debates.org/2020/09/02/cpd-announces-2020-debate-moderators/

First presidential debate:

Chris Wallace, Anchor, Fox News Sunday
Tuesday, September 29, Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH

Vice presidential debate:

Susan Page, Washington Bureau Chief, USA Today
Wednesday, October 7, The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT

Second presidential debate (town meeting):

Steve Scully, Senior Executive Producer & Political Editor, C-SPAN Networks
Thursday, October 15, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Miami, FL

Third presidential debate:

Kristen Welker, Co-Anchor Weekend TODAY, White House Correspondent, NBC News
Thursday, October 22, Belmont University, Nashville, TN

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

The only real thing that came out of this debate is the real possibility that trump is trying to create his own internal army ( this happened in 1930s in Germany, later called Gestapo). ...Poor Boys, White Supremists etc...to intimidate at voting booths and rallies. 

...whew...thank God the border is STILL closed......you put Bernie RIGHT of Limbaugh......social medicine ain't working......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

What is Joe afraid of? I guess his refusal to answer the question means he plans to pack the courts.

Just admit it, Joe. You know the batschitt crazies in your party are BEGGING you to do it. They're like Bridgette Nielsen getting wet while she watches Ivan Drago kill Apollo Creed.

Give them what they want, Joe! C'mon, man! 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

That's not what happened in '30s Germany.  You're a ***** idiot.

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

That was just about the time (1932) when communist backed Antifa was first formed in Germany. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

That they keep quoting An O'Nymous?

Yes.