Jags cut Fournette; clears waivers (update - signing with Tampa)

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

So the two teams to call would have been at the bottom of my list - Pats have White and Michel and their rookie Harris had a stellar camp (like our Gabe Davis). Bills have Singletary and Moss.

Pats also apparently also called the Saints on Kamara. Strange.

That said, I can see it working for the Bills - Fournette is a power back who can get you the tough 3 yards while also being shifty and elusive to hit home runs (hat is why he went #4). I am not sure about all this locker room revolt against him though.

If you never call, you don't know what it costs.  Calling about a player doesn't cost you a thing.  Who knows, maybe the Saints really want to move Kamara because his knee isn't up to snuff from last year and they'd rather take what they can get right now based off his higher perceived value from last season before he comes out this season and looks rickety.  Wouldn't be the first or the last RB to have that happen.  Maybe Kamara isn't really on the market at all and it's about a contract thing but if you don't call you don't know.

8 minutes ago, appoo said:

That and I think our OLine is a bit overrated...having someone who can get you yards after contact is a nice hole to fill in our offense

I agree entirely.  Hugely overrated by folks on this board.  The line's inability to block in big moments was a massive problem in Houston.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

The Bills look as if they've got two good backs already.  Does any team in 2020 need the deepest RB stable in the league? 

Not really but we would have 3 backs that are viable starters on the NFL level. A bruiser, a "make you miss" type and one that does both.

58 minutes ago, appoo said:

How is he overrated? Last season he was 4th in the NFL in Yards After Contact, while 43rd in Yards Before contact. Probably the one thing he's average at is breaking tackles. 

But he's a very good RB, that had to play with a terrible offense around him, and the stats show it. 

The guy has never played a full season in his career, requires a ton of carries to get the production you're talking about.   The only reason he had the season he had last year was because the Jaguars called his number close to 400 times.  On top of being an average running back, he is a total malcontent.

Sometimes, stats only tell you so much.   I dont think his 4 yards a carry is worth having him in the locker room.  If he was a guy that brought some veteran leadership to the room great, but at this point he is essentially a jerk who isnt any better than what you already have.

Earlier when there was talks of a trade for Fournette I stated that there is no way I want this A-Hole in a Bills uniform.

After all this, I think there would be some humbling and with the Bills atmosphere, I say we take him and see how it goes. He will have a chip on his shoulder but also fall in line to get playing time. He will want to be on the field. Bills leadership is strong.

Edited by DieHardBillsFan

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I wouldn’t want him to take carries from Motor or Moss

What happens if one gets injured and has to miss a couple games? He is a  #4 overall pick he would automatically be the best RB in the room if we sign him 

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Singletary averaged a yard a carry more than Fournette last year.   Fournette may be talented, but he is not as good of a football player, and thats what actually matters here.

Ok he had a bad oline does that not matter?

1 minute ago, TJC25 said:

What happens if one gets injured and has to miss a couple games? He is a  #4 overall pick he would automatically be the best RB in the room if we sign him 

Yeah this is kind of where I'm at.  I watched him in college (Alabama fan - they shut him down, but they shut everyone down then) and he was an absolute bruiser who just got stronger as the games went on.  No idea if he has that still, but there's no way that he was in an optimal situation in jax playing with bortles and for boney maroney.  If he'd take a reasonable contract, i'd bring him in.  Wouldnt it be nice to have him on the bench of the #1 guy went down?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Think they're slightly above average with alot of depth . 

Alot also depends on how Ford progresses in year 2 buy the Left side , Dawkins/Spain/Morse is pretty good.

The right side, between Feliciano,Ty,Ford,Winters, is not bad at all. All 4 are capable starters. 

Also, last year the line had 4 new starters , so I'm expecting a jump from the unit as a whole.

I'm betting Williams will surprise a lot of people at RT, allowing Ford to play where he should be playing (at least right now): RG.

3 minutes ago, TJC25 said:

There is no way he’s the best RB in the room. I’ll take Motor over him any day and from accounts I’ve read Moss looks really good.

They want to sign him fine.  I just don’t want him taking carries away from the younger guys.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TJC25 said:

Why do you think the Jaguars have a bad o-line?   Four of their five starters were 2nd or 3rd round draft picks, and the 5th is one of the highest paid centers in the NFL.  

They were above average when it came to pass blocking, but they could run block.   Agree to disagree I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Why do you think the Jaguars have a bad o-line?   Four of their five starters were 2nd or 3rd round draft picks, and the 5th is one of the highest paid centers in the NFL.  

They were above average when it came to pass blocking, but they could run block.   Agree to disagree I guess.

I would tend to agree with those Oline being bad. Even though they do have quality picks on their. The problem is they have pretty much zero player development that occurs there, especially since Marrone has been there. I tend to watch several games being in the area and the local scribes write about them as well. Just my opinion and observation. 

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

They were above average when it came to pass blocking, but they could run block.   Agree to disagree I guess

Disagree just cause they were 2nd or 3rd round picks doesnt make them good does it? Is zach moss good? We dont know yet. Fournette on field healthy is a 1000 yard rusher a highly talented RB. For one year I'd take it all day. Cause what if he goes for 1200 and 10 TDs or the opposite these are the chances you have to take. moss and Singletary will be here next year

20 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Singletary averaged a yard a carry more than Fournette last year.   Fournette may be talented, but he is not as good of a football player, and thats what actually matters here.

If we are picking stats. Fournette also had over 100 more carries.  If you also wanna count other things Fournette also had over 50 more catches

Interesting looking back at some of the articles in April on whether the Bills should or shouldn’t have traded for Fournette.  Here was an article against the idea, which mentioned the potential of landing Zack Moss in the 3rd round.  And here we are today with the potential to

still land Fournette (if we want) at a better price, already having landed Moss as well.  One more example of why Beane is a wizard.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buffalowdown.com/2020/04/19/buffalo-bills-should-avoid-temptation-trading-for-leonard-fournette/amp/

• Like (+1) 2