Barkley ranked 23rd best backup by PFF

BillsMafi$

I think Barkley is a better QB than most people realize.... I could see him as high as 15 and as low as 22... He plays loose and I like that... knows the playbook...can air it out... not the strongest arm but is smart and good to have in the QB room.. high character guy, helped Josh out a lot...will definitely help Fromm out a lot too... From has a higher ceiling than Barkley..between our current QBs collectively, I think we’re in a good spot.. 

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

22nd to 27th was where I have him. I'd have him closer to the bottom than the top of that range. I think my list he was 26th. But 23rd? That is fair enough. He is in the right grouping of other guys on the list. The one that is way too high for me is Schaub.

Schaub stuck out for me, too.  He was a great backup before he became a starter, and then as his starting career faded, it seemed like he just lost whatever it was that made him effective in his early days.  

I didn't study their methodology, but I think there isn't a simple, or maybe even a complicated, way to determine the best backups.   One way is to ask a simple question:  If you're starter is down for a game or two, who do you want to bring off the bench.  That is the most important question.  I think this list is pretty good if that is the frame of reference. 

But if the question is "you're the GM and it's February, who do you want as your #2 QB?"   That question is a little different, because that question is also about who is the best guy to be the #2 guy in your QB room during all those weeks when your starter is not down.   Winston is the obvious best choice when you're answering the first question but probably isn't the best choice when you're answering the second.  Keenum may be the best if you want the quality in response to both questions. 

And the third question is who is the guy I want to be my backup for two or three seasons?   That question is about the QB room, but it's also about continuity.   And the answer to that question depends on whether you feel like you need a guy who will challenge for the starting job (like in Chicago) or not challenge (like in Green Bay) or not challenge but be training to replace the incumbent (like in New Orleans).   It also begins to disqualify some guys, like Winston, Flacco and Dalton, all of whom probably want to be starters again and aren't that interested in making a career out of being an advisor to the young starter and getting an occasional spot start.  

So any given team's answer to the question "who is the best backup" depends on how the team is thinking about issues like that, and different teams will take different approaches.  As I said, Winston to New Orleans is perfect, because he's the best backup if you need him for a game or two, and he's also the guy you want to train to replace Brees.   

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

There are at least 6 guys on that list ahead of him that are unproven or worse than him.

Well, people can argue that point all day long.  That's what's good about putting them in categories rather than simple rankings.   There's a large group of guys in Barkley's category - a group of guys who you definitely do not consider long-term starter material, who probably can manage the game for you okay and may even make a play for you once and a while, but is probably not going to carry your team to any big wins.  Put another way, the guys in Barkley's group will make you count the days until your starter returns - their time on the field is not going to start a QB controversy when the starter gets healthy.  

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, people can argue that point all day long.  That's what's good about putting them in categories rather than simple rankings.   There's a large group of guys in Barkley's category - a group of guys who you definitely do not consider long-term starter material, who probably can manage the game for you okay and may even make a play for you once and a while, but is probably not going to carry your team to any big wins.  Put another way, the guys in Barkley's group will make you count the days until your starter returns - their time on the field is not going to start a QB controversy when the starter gets healthy.  

Actually I was wrong.  There are 8 ranked ahead of him who are unproven or worse.  And even at the top it's no great shakes.

MAson Rudolph, as a rookie, has more than twice as many wins, more TDs and is more accurate Than Barkley's career.  And he's worse than Barkley as a backup?

Barkley is AJ McCarron minus the TD/INT ratio greater than 1.0, the hot mom and the draft pick.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd take Kyle Allen, Colt McCoy, and Mason Rudolph any day of the week over Barkley.

Funny thing about this list is the top 3 back ups were all available this offseason. We passed for the locker room sweet heart.??

But.... "they would want to start"!

No one wants an ambitious backup QB with years of starting experience!!  

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually I was wrong.  There are 8 ranked ahead of him who are unproven or worse.  And even at the top it's no great shakes.

Oh, man, if Allen is down for a few games, you wouldn't want to have Winston, Mariota, Flacco, Dalton or Keenum instead of Barkley?   

Frankly, I'm hoping Fromm fights his way to the backup spot.  Fromm could be a Keenum.  

I do agree, however, that there are plenty of names above Barkley that I'd lump with Barkley and several names below him.   Unproven or worse is  a good description. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

But.... "they would want to start"!

No one wants an ambitious backup QB with years of starting experience!!  

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The sad thing is I feel Beane feels this way. 

Look at you guys just liking each other's posts! BFF's forever!

I think you two are the only ones who feel this way. Beane and McDermott preach competition.

It's going to be so tough for you guys this season to see the Bills win lots of games, isn't it?

Edited by MJS