Unpopular Bills takes, Past and present.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah he wasn't terrible. He wasn't good either. But he wasn't terrible. He has had two GM interviews so the league clearly doesn't think he was terrible. 

Apparently Rooney rule..with no serious consideration.  The Watkins deal and drafting EJ sealed his career.  To bad too, because he seemed to be a nice guy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I think Schoebel would have been a great #2 DE. One thing I’ll say in his defense, he didn’t have good DE’s playing along side him.

My favorite play from Schoebel was his one-handed INT against Brady which he returned for a TD. 

Man, this reminds me of Kawika Mitchell. He was a great player for us that first year, and got hurt in the 6-3 loss to the Browns the following year where Derek Anderson led the Browns to victory by completing 2-17 passes for 27 yards. Who didn't love Dick Jauron?

We could really benefit from another high energy hard hitting guy like him.

Edited by BullBuchanan

4 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I think Schoebel would have been a great #2 DE. One thing I’ll say in his defense, he didn’t have good DE’s playing along side him.

My favorite play from Schoebel was his one-handed INT against Brady which he returned for a TD. 

Schobel was a good DE 1 bro. 14 sacks in 2006?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

When you consider his injury and eventually benching, EJ was still a rookie. 

One of my favorite. 

It is not all that different than, “But Allen didn’t go to camps or even get recruited in HS, so give him more time”. 

We actually get that argument with Allen now when people go, “well if you toss out those first 4 games cause they sucked, and he only played 12 games last year, so really they’re basically part of his rookie year...”

12 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Whaley did well in free agency, but QB wasn’t the only thing he missed in the draft. Maybe I undervalue some of the players he drafted, but I thought every Whaley draft was very weak. 

This is where I do feel he was looking for prototypes, not necessarily the best football players.  To be fair, I thought Watkins could be Julio Jones, turns out Mack should have been the pick. 

4 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Apparently Rooney rule..with no serious consideration.  The Watkins deal and drafting EJ sealed his career.  To bad too, because he seemed to be a nice guy.

Not true in Green Bay certainly. They had already interviewed Alonzo Highsmith. Can't recall in Cleveland but that may well have been partly Rooney Rule inspired. 

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Brian Daboll was another bad choice for OC by McDermott. 

I don’t trust him to be the guy who can develop talent on offense, and utilize the talent we already have properly. His scheme is overly complicated to the point of being a hindrance, and he constantly outsmarts himself. I also don’t trust him with talent like Diggs on the roster. Will he be smart enough to make an effort to get Diggs involved on a regular basis? Or will he try to outsmart everyone by not properly utilizing a guy like Diggs ?

I don’t want a basic smash mouth offense, but Daboll’s offense is like an overpriced foreign sports car. It looks great, but it’s difficult to work with, and you’re lucky to get it out of the garage on a regular basis when things break down. Daboll has yet to build an identity for this offense, because he subscribes to the Patriot way of running a chameleon like offense. One week is run heavy, while the next is pass happy. That’s great when you have Brady under center, but a young guy like Allen needs more consistency and direction to be comfortable. 

• Like (+1) 1