Horrible Harry...the forgotten man?

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh yes, the old I don't really know football so I just quote stat sheets reply.  Got it.  Try watching him play instead of reading stat sheets.  Football is analyzed on game tape, not stat sheets...especially with a DT whose impact is not always felt on the stat sheet.  He also had 2 pass defended too that you left out by the way.  

We got a bunch of very vocal posters who are statisticians. If only it were that easy. Using eyes and stats is the best we can do as fans. Beane, McDermott, and the staff get access to the players on a whole other level. We finally have a staff I can confidently say is way better then anyone’s opinion on here when it comes to player personnel decisions. 

Harrison might need a little extra time to fully recover. It’s usually a two year period before many players either are comfortable or fully healed. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think he's an upgrade to Star. Star was a better 1-tech, which is why he was the starter. Not that difficult to interpret that.

But Phillips has been steadily improving and might very possibly have taken over the #1 spot at some point this season or next if he kept improving the way he was before his injury.

We've got a lot of DTs but only Star and Phillips are natural #1s. Looks like Jefferson and Butler may spend some time there even if they're maybe not natural fits. If Phillips hasn't recovered well from his injury they'll be in a bit of trouble there, as the roster stands today. McDermott has showed what kind of guy he needs there, ideally a planet theory kind of guy who is absolutely strong as a bull, though he doesn't need to have much quickness. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, but McDermott doesn't need that.

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

We got a bunch of very vocal posters who are statisticians. If only it were that easy. Using eyes and stats is the best we can do as fans. Beane, McDermott, and the staff get access to the players on a whole other level. We finally have a staff I can confidently say is way better then anyone’s opinion on here when it comes to player personnel decisions. 

Harrison might need a little extra time to fully recover. It’s usually a two year period before many players either are comfortable or fully healed. 

Yup, and that’s why you can’t rely only on stat sheets.  

And I agree and even said in another post in this thread that I think they bring Harry along slowly because we have great depth and he won’t have the benefit of a full camp (in terms of true football work due to COVID restrictions) or a preseason to really test his recovery and work his way back.  

I will also say, I’ve never trusted a coaching staff and front office staff as much as I trust this one.  So totally agree there too

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I really think he was a long shot to even make the team before Star opted out, given how many DT's they've got. I think his chance to make the team is drastically improved now, but I just don't think he's been anything special so far. Kyle took a few years to get going, so there's still hope, but its far form a sure thing. They did just sign two more today, so they obviously aren't satisfied with what they have at the position.

I disagree on both points. I don't see how, after playing so well last year, they just suddenly give up on a 3rd round pick. Also, I clearly remember reading comments by Fewell and Jauron about how Kyle stepped right in and played at a high level as a rookie.

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I mean that's factually incorrect, he was the 4th DT in snap counts Game 1 , 3rd in Game 2 and 2nd in Game 3.

I'm not really interested in arguing about it anymore, though. It's beyond boring to have a small innocuous comment drag out pages when the data exists.  

You wanna make baseless observations, you take the heat. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I don't think he's an upgrade to Star. Star was a better 1-tech, which is why he was the starter. Not that difficult to interpret that.

But Phillips has been steadily improving and might very possibly have taken over the #1 spot at some point this season or next if he kept improving the way he was before his injury.

We've got a lot of DTs but only Star and Phillips are natural #1s. Looks like Jefferson and Butler may spend some time there even if they're maybe not natural fits. If Phillips hasn't recovered well from his injury they'll be in a bit of trouble there, as the roster stands today. McDermott has showed what kind of guy he needs there, ideally a planet theory kind of guy who is absolutely strong as a bull, though he doesn't need to have much quickness. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, but McDermott doesn't need that.

Butler has played both in Carolina. I think he is genuinely versatile (one of the reasons they signed him). Jefferson is a 3 tech. If he plays there it is a bit of a fish out of water.

Phillips is probably not going to be as good at the start of this year as he was when he was injured, because that injury takes more than a year to recuperate.  However the Bills are going to keep him around in expectation that he'll get back to where he was.  In the meantime, they've loaded up with other guys, which is good for Phillips who won't have to play much while his recovery proceeds.

Let's hope all is well with his knee and he's back to beast status by 2021.  He's a great guy and could become Kyle Williams v2.

It’s not that difficult, the four will be in a  rotation.  It’s hard to even say who is the starter as each player has different strengths I’m not Frazier.  We will be playing Butler, Jefferson, Phillips, and Ed O.  Probably all four will play as an aggregate for the year each 50% of the time.  What I mean is it depends on the opponent and what is needed so sometimes two of the four may get more playing time than the other two, amd vise versa.  The new guys are probably just going to depth.

Phillips wouldn’t be cleared to practice unless the team doctors cleared him.  He may be at a greater risk for reinjury, but for now he can play.

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

He may be at a greater risk for reinjury

I think it’s actually the opposite, if you’re talking about the same knee.  I’m not a doctor — nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night — but I think the difficulty guys have coming back is just regaining their strength...the ligament itself is stronger than before.  You often hear of guys then injuring the other knee.

I just hope Harry is in good shape and can contribute.  He was playing really well and would, I think, have started to eat into Star’s playing time had he not gotten hurt.

12 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Phillips wouldn’t be cleared to practice unless the team doctors cleared him.  He may be at a greater risk for reinjury, but for now he can play.

My worry is less reinjury... it is more him getting back to his level / any long term effects on his mobility. ACLs are bad news for 300 pound men who need to bend at the knee and then explode out of their stance consistently. It is not a given that we get the guy we saw at the start of last season back even if he is medically cleared. I hope we do, but it is a total unknown until we see him do it.

The Bills don't know how the knee will hold up.  Could be ok, great, or, never recover......jury is totally out...and he may not play this year at all.  Used to be that knee job was two years to recover.....and, I know the medical technology is better these days, but, people are all different.  So, more tackles makes sense to me...they won't find out about Harry until into the regular season.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

You wanna make baseless observations, you take the heat. 

Baseless?

I referenced snap count, position on the depth chart, and stats over 2 games played and was met with "stats lie/you don't watch the games"

And you want to talk about baseless? Like I said, it's boring, but keep on keeping on if it's how you get your thrills.

Edited by BullBuchanan

Harry was having a really good start to the season prior to his injury - honestly we have an embarrassment of riches on the D-Line for what we play - which is not always your typical 4-3. If you check our Cover-1 and some of the other youtube guys that do break downs - they compare stuff we do to other teams and I find it fascinating how often we swap parts or run weird/exotic looks. We're like a cross between the Seahawks and the Steelers

It should be mentioned that our biggest success and the reason we are so good, outside of the secondary being solid is actually our LB duo that constantly work in Blitz fakes/shows and trade offs. If i remember correctly - it was actually part of the reason we were able to somewhat keep the Ravens in check. Take away 1 mistake on the TE TD pass, and we might have actually won that game. (I think Poyer jumped to cover a route when he was supposed to go with the TE)

4 hours ago, eball said:

I think it’s actually the opposite, if you’re talking about the same knee.  I’m not a doctor — nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night — but I think the difficulty guys have coming back is just regaining their strength...the ligament itself is stronger than before.  You often hear of guys then injuring the other knee.

I just hope Harry is in good shape and can contribute.  He was playing really well and would, I think, have started to eat into Star’s playing time had he not gotten hurt.

In bold...puzzles me a bit. There have been different methods for ACL over the years. When I had mine it was a replacement with a tendon from the knee. Sometimes it's from elsewhere on the leg. They used to use cadaver ligaments but I am not sure if that's still done. Quite a while back they tried synthetic but stopped. Maybe there are synthetic again? 

In any event, I never heard of ACL replacements being stronger than the original. It's hard to out-engineer Mother Nature. Any references to support this position? 

27 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

In bold...puzzles me a bit. There have been different methods for ACL over the years. When I had mine it was a replacement with a tendon from the knee. Sometimes it's from elsewhere on the leg. They used to use cadaver ligaments but I am not sure if that's still done. Quite a while back they tried synthetic but stopped. Maybe there are synthetic again? 

In any event, I never heard of ACL replacements being stronger than the original. It's hard to out-engineer Mother Nature. Any references to support this position? 

https://www.ismoc.net/acl-reconstruction-graft-choice.html

Here’s one.