On the topic or extensions and contracts. Who’s next, and when?

1 hour ago, boater said:

I don't see a crisis to lock up Milano.

Good LTs (Dawkins) are hard to find = lockup the one you have

Great LBs (Edmunds) are hardest to find = lock up the one you have

Good LBs (Milano) are not hard to find = pursue him when the contract is up

I agree. Don’t break the bank on Milano

1 hour ago, boater said:

I have to disagree with you on Milano.  It might not be a popular opinion but he's shown me more to this point than Edmunds has (not to say Edmunds is not doing his job).  I think Milano has the EXACT DNA this team thrives on and he has such a nose for the ball.

44 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Tre 5 yrs 80-85 mill is likely next. Milano is a tricky one - he is great for us - but may not do so well in another system - so how much do you pay him? I think we will likely come with a 4yr 52-60 million extension for him as well. So I am going to guess the order will be:

1. Tre 2. Milano 3. Beane and then we are done. No hurry to extend Allen / Edmunds till next offseason.

Tre is going to be a $20M a year CB IMO. The conversation probably starts at 5 years & $85M which would make him the highest paid CB in the league. I think it is north of that though by the time he signs. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tre is going to be a $20M a year CB IMO. The conversation probably starts at 5 years & $85M which would make him the highest paid CB in the league. I think it is north of that though by the time he signs. 

Slay with 16.683 mill AAV and Jones with 16.5 AAV are the current record holders. Jones has current CB record at 5 yrs 82,5 mill, no? yes Tre will likely set a record but it wont go up by 3 mill a year. usual trend is for the player to beat it by about 0.5 - 1 mill. Also Bills in no hurry since there is a 5th year option. So Tre will likely give in a little to secure his future - I think they will come in at 5 yrs 80-85 mill not 5 yrs 100 mill if there is an extension this offseason. 

But of course I have been known to be wrong. a lot:)

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I have to disagree with you on Milano.  It might not be a popular opinion but he's shown me more to this point than Edmunds has (not to say Edmunds is not doing his job).  I think Milano has the EXACT DNA this team thrives on and he has such a nose for the ball.

This will sound odd but hear me out. Milano has outplayed Edmunds so far. But Edmunds is the more critical piece and more difficult to replace player. My guess is they would have little trouble replacing Milano, maybe even with a player on the roster. However replacing a sideline to sideline dynamic MLB for this offense would be very hard. If Edmunds gets better he is the player that should get paid even if that means Milano walks.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This will sound odd but hear me out. Milano has outplayed Edmunds so far. But Edmunds is the more critical piece and more difficult to replace player. My guess is they would have little trouble replacing Milano, maybe even with a player on the roster. However replacing a sideline to sideline dynamic MLB for this offense would be very hard. If Edmunds gets better he is the player that should get paid even if that means Milano walks.

I can see this.  I just hope we can keep both.

53 minutes ago, eball said:

No incentive for Tre to sign an extension now.  Milano should get done, and of course Beane.

I think you mean "No incentive for Beane to sign Tre to an extension" since the Bills hold the 5th year option. Because Tre has all the incentives to secure his future with multi-generation life changing money - why do you think Ramsey / Adams etc. are acting like spoilt children? They want their Brinks trucks now.

12 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Slay with 16.683 mill AAV and Jones with 16.5 AAV are the current record holders. Jones has current CB record at 5 yrs 82,5 mill, no? yes Tre will likely set a record but it wont go up by 3 mill a year. usual trend is for the player to beat it by about 0.5 - 1 mill. Also Bills in no hurry since there is a 5th year option. So Tre will likely give in a little to secure his future - I think they will come in at 5 yrs 80-85 mill not 5 yrs 100 mill if there is an extension this offseason. 

But of course I have been known to be wrong. a lot:)

He will not sign for less than Slay. I can guarantee that. He will set the market or he won’t sign. I also don’t think Tre or his agent view Byron Jones as a similar player. He won’t be taking less than “highest paid CB in the league.” The optics are a part of that. I also think we’ve seen some outlier contracts as recently as this week with Kittle. I’ll be surprised if Tre’s AAV is under $18M and I think it’s ends up at $20M. I don’t think that he signs until then. By that point though, Humphrey may have reset the market or someone else. The price is just continuing to go up.

9 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I think you mean "No incentive for Beane to sign Tre to an extension" since the Bills hold the 5th year option. Because Tre has all the incentives to secure his future with multi-generation life changing money - why do you think Ramsey / Adams etc. are acting like spoilt children? They want their Brinks trucks now.

The Bills have a ton of incentive to sign Tre now. His price isn’t dropping. The price that the Bills could get Tre for now is the lowest it will be.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He will not sign for less than Slay. I can guarantee that. He will set the market or he won’t sign. I also don’t think Tre or his agent view Byron Jones as a similar player. He won’t be taking less than “highest paid CB in the league.” The optics are a part of that. I also think we’ve seen some outlier contracts as recently as this week with Kittle. I’ll be surprised if Tre’s AAV is under $18M and I think it’s ends up at $20M. I don’t think that he signs until then. By that point though, Humphrey may have reset the market or someone else. The price is just continuing to go up.

The Bills have a ton of incentive to sign Tre now. His price isn’t dropping. The price that the Bills could get Tre for now is the lowest it will be.

They absolutely will and should make him the highest paid CB when he signs, the question is whether his agent will wait until after those other guys - slay, Ramsay, Lattimore, sign or not. 

I would not be surprised either way when it comes to Milano. I could see Beane trying to lock him up on a fair value contract like Dawkins got for his position. McDermott always had two good linebackers in Carolina in Davis and Keuchly. 
I can Also see Beane waiting to see how Milano holds up physically this year. Matt got a little dinged up last year. I like Milano and would love to have him back, his size concerns me a little bit the more years he plays. 
I trust Beane and McDermott to know what’s right with the D. 

• Like (+1) 1

Can't go soon enough on Beane....as with Coach this is a non-cap thing so no need to worry about timing.   I'm sure those conversations are well underway.

As for players, certainly Tre would be the next priority if they can lock him down now.   As others have said, Milano needs to be at the right price.  He's not a guy you break the bank for.   Hopefully this team ends up with six big $ players:  Tre, Dawkins, Edmunds, Allen, Oliver and Diggs.  Everyone else fills in around them at a reasonable price.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Edmunds has gotten better every year, he is good now, and his ceiling doesnt look to have been touched.  He absolutely needs to be re upped when the time comes.

I expect that he will deserve to be extended when the time comes, but I also think that a lot of fans have gotten a little ahead of themselves.  Flash plays?  Yup.  Talent and raw physical ability?  Big time.  Consistency with the mental side of the game?  No, not yet.  Edmunds is still very young so I expect that to clean up - and if/when it does then I expect him to be one of the top few LBs in the league.  He has enough potential to even be the best of his era.  But he just isn’t quite there yet and it’s a mistake to simply assume that it will happen, especially if that means tying up a lot of cap space for several years on him.  All I’m saying is let him earn it before giving him credit for earning it (along with the contract).  I think he will and he has time. 

4 hours ago, boater said:

If Allan became a total flop this season and they likely are going to re-start at QB, then likely plenty of money to go around.  But  assuming Allen works out likely they can't resign all these guys.  And then Milano may become the odd man out.  One theory is they will be looking closely at the LB who was on IR last season, (Was Joseph his last name?) if he works out, then maybe Milano isn't resigned.  So maybe they wait until after the season to decide whether to sign him, also by then would have a much better idea on what the cap will actually be next year.

13 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

I agree. Don’t break the bank on Milano

I don’t think anyone is saying roll up the Brinks truck, just a warranted extension and money will be fine. I think MM would accept a modest offer, that and Resigning MM keeps Sean and the D from having to recreate continuity at the position, that in itself has value, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!