Call your shot: Will the season start on time?

Will the season kick off on TNF September 10th?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. NFL 2020 season kickoff with Texans at Chiefs 9/10

• Won’t happen ... season will be cancelled
    • Won’t happen ... season will be delayed
    • Will happen ... let the countdown to NFL football begin

Can you imagine putting 55 to 60 players plus coaches, trainers, execs, broadcasters, etc on a plane, fly to Houston, to get on buses, to check into a hotel, to go to various restaurants or banquet service, to breakfast, to buses, to stadium and then home again, in a city that will not acknowledge a virus even is real.....and not have 1 team member contract C19.

Impossible. 

Fly into Buffalo you can do it, into NYC is ok, but not Texas, Arizona, Florida, Atlanta, etc. 

If they play, the place where you play may be more important than who you play.

The season cannot survive like that.

• Like (+1) 1

It will happen. I know you guys are experiencing a 2nd peak situation, but I just think when other sports are starting up - soccer in Europe has been working very well, they have now played two international cricket test matches, they are planning to re-start the Tennis tour shortly etc.... I just think the PR for the NFL to say "sorry we can't do it" is too damaging long term. They will find a way, they will cave to the players' demands, there will be no fans in stadiums.... but there will be a season and it will start on time.

• Like (+1) 4

Jerry knows...

"Hurts my ears to listen 
Burns my eyes to see
Cut down a man in cold blood, Shannon
Might as well be me
We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
One's for sport and one's for blood
At the point of a knife
Now the die is shaken
Now the die must fall
There ain't a winner in the game
You don't go home with all
Not with all"

Jack Straw cut his buddy down and so will completing this season.  I just don't see it working out over the long haul of a season.  The stakes are just too high, larger than $$, and as Jerry says...  Nobody wins in that game.  The players already sense this.  Veterans are beginning to speak out.  Rookies are silent.  The owners fear it.  Right now it feels a lot like everybody is just whistling in the dark, pretending that everything will work.  How?  I just don't see it working...  I just don't get it right now.  And that sucks, but sucking doesn't make it any less real.
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The players want their money.

The league wants their advertising and TV money.

What is the one thing that could make the NFL even more popular than they already are? An American public that is craving ANY escape from the insanity that is this country currently. The viewership would be up across the board.

I concur...baseball starts in a couple of days...expect high ratings as well

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

Just cancel the season. 

why?

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Jack Straw cut his buddy down and so will completing this season.  I just don't see it working out over the long haul of a season.  The stakes are just too high, larger than $$, and as Jerry says...  Nobody wins in that game.  The players already sense this.  Veterans are beginning to speak out.  Rookies are silent.  The owners fear it.  Right now it feels a lot like everybody is just whistling in the dark, pretending that everything will work.  How?  I just don't see it working...  I just don't get it right now.  And that sucks, but sucking doesn't make it any less real.

Have to agree, next couple weeks will tell for sure. Personally I think anyone who thinks there will be a season is setting themselves up for disappointment. Training camps open next week. Once there is an outbreak or two it will shut down quick. Look at what the PGA tour did. At the beginning of day 1 of The Players Championship they were going to play that tournament with fans and the rest of the season without. Later that day it was decided the tournament would finish without fans for the final 3 days, then tour play would stop for 3 weeks until the week before the Masters. Before the end of the day the season was put on hold until further notice. Those that finished the round received some sort of monetary prize, those that didn't received nothing. Hope I'm wrong but I see things coming to a halt that quickly for football. We'll know soon.

Edited by Steve O

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It will happen. I know you guys are experiencing a 2nd peak situation, but I just think when other sports are starting up - soccer in Europe has been working very well, they have now played two international cricket test matches, they are planning to re-start the Tennis tour shortly etc.... I just think the PR for the NFL to say "sorry we can't do it" is too damaging long term. They will find a way, they will cave to the players' demands, there will be no fans in stadiums.... but there will be a season and it will start on time.

Soccer protects 18 who travel to a game. The NFL travel with at least 60 playrts plus coaches etc. Hard to protect that many athletes.

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I see lots of posts saying there won’t be a season. I have to say the signs point to the season kicking off as planned. 

I agree that signs point to it, but I think they'll keep having to back off based on outbreaks and quarantines.  If 1-2 OL test positive a couple days before a game, how many players might have to self-quarantine?  I haven't seen anyone even try to give an answer to a question like that.  Lets assume 5-8 other players, perhaps coaches as well. 10 days...that might be two games missed? Its inevitable that some version of that may happen to at least a dozen teams, maybe a lot more.  How do you have a fair season with scenarios like that popping up?  

Lets play for fun and assume the Bill and Chiefs start out 4-0.  They play Thursday night in Week 5.  Two Bills' OL test positive on Wednesday... 

Edited by cage

40 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Soccer protects 18 who travel to a game. The NFL travel with at least 60 playrts plus coaches etc. Hard to protect that many athletes.

Definitely more players travel in the NFL (though similarly huge support staffs in Premier League soccer). But the Premier League are not bubbling as I understand the NBA is and as the cricketers of England and the West Indies are. They are going home, seeing their families then travelling to games together so there is at least some encouragement from that model. 

Aussie Rules Football is going on their 6th week since they resumed.

Australia  also has very low  over all numbers though.

The US is #1 over all in all counts.

I still voted for the season starting.

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Plus, add in the fact that fans can’t attend (= more tv viewers) and less gathering at bars (= more individual houses tuned in)

They are going to have to do something about Sunday Ticket though...