Jump to content
JetsFan20

Mt Rushmore of Buffalo coaches (Bills and Sabres)

Recommended Posts

Marv Levy

Lou Saban

Lindy Ruff

Punch Imlach

  • Like (+1) 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Marv Levy

Lou Saban

Lindy Ruff

Punch Imlach

That's the answer, maybe in a few years add McDermott

or the opposite

Harvey Johnson, Hank Bullough, Phil Housley, Dan Bylsma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bilzfancy said:

That's the answer, maybe in a few years add McDermott

or the opposite

Harvey Johnson, Hank Bullough, Phil Housley, Dan Bylsma

 

Yeah....I was thinking it would be a much better debate to pick four for Mt Turd.

  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Marv Levy

Lou Saban

Lindy Ruff

Ted Nolan

 

Ted Nolan deserves his own mountain, a bronze statue and a place on the Bills' Wall of Fame for the relations he had with EJ's mom.

  • Confused 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Marv Levy

Lou Saban

Lindy Ruff

Punch Imlach

That’s really the ONLY answer at this point.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I see it says Bills and Sabres but throw the Braves in there too...

 

Marv Levy

Lou Saban

Lindy Ruff

Dr. Jack Ramsay

 

Ramsay did a remarkable job with one superstar (Bob McAdoo), an emerging player in Randy Smith and a bunch of good role players. He should have been retained as coach after the '75-76 season but had a falling out with Paul Snyder and all he did was win the NBA title the next year with Portland.

 

Imlach was only coach for a couple of seasons (outside of Levy and Ruff, that seems par for the course with Buffalo coaches) and really made his impact more as a GM. 

Edited by jwhit34
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Washington - Lou Saban - Two championships, two coaches of the year. The story of Buffalo Sports starts with Wilson and Saban

Lincoln - Marv Levy - despite being outcoached in all four SuperBowls he still has the most success of any HC in Buffalo history and the brightest wit

Jefferson - Ted Marchibroda - the architect of the our democracy and the architect of one of the great offensive systems the NFL has ever seen.  

Roosevelt - Scottie Bowman - both mavericks and both equally or more known for their accomplishments outside of their respective tour of duty as President or HC of the Sabres.  

 

 

 

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

I see it says Bills and Sabres but throw the Braves in there too...

 

Marv Levy

Lou Saban

Lindy Ruff

Dr. Jack Ramsay

 

Ramsay did a remarkable job with one superstar (Bob McAdoo), an emerging player in Randy Smith and a bunch of good role players. He should have been retained as coach after the '75-76 season but had a falling out with Paul Snyder and all he did was win the NBA title the next year with Portland.

 

Imlach was only coach for a couple of seasons (outside of Levy and Ruff, that seems par for the course with Buffalo coaches) and really made his impact more as a GM. 

 

If you're gonna throw in the Braves, might as well throw in the only championship winning franchise in Buffalo (so far), the Bandits. A quick google search shows Les Bartley as the head coach for 3 of the 4 national champion Bandit teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

 

If you're gonna throw in the Braves, might as well throw in the only championship winning franchise in Buffalo (so far), the Bandits. A quick google search shows Les Bartley as the head coach for 3 of the 4 national champion Bandit teams.

NIce call out. I was going to add him as an honorable mention - of course after I looked up who it was...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Levy , Saban, and Ruff are no brainers. I’d throw Floyd Smith out there for consideration.  Short term but got the Dabres to the finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Marv Levy

Lou Saban

Lindy Ruff

Punch Imlach

Punch Imlach was only with the Sabres for a year and a half after spending his entire career with the Maple Leafs, right? Isn't he really a Maple Leaf and not a Sabre? I don't think he would belong on a Buffalo Mt. Rushmore.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gugny said:

 

Ted Nolan deserves his own mountain, a bronze statue and a place on the Bills' Wall of Fame for the relations he had with EJ's mom.


Ok I need to hear this story, even if it’s completely made up..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

 

Yeah....I was thinking it would be a much better debate to pick four for Mt Turd.

 

Well, then, you have to have Rex Ryan, no pile of turd would be complete without him at the top of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I think Levy , Saban, and Ruff are no brainers. I’d throw Floyd Smith out there for consideration.  Short term but got the Dabres to the finals.

chuck Knox returned the team to relevance for a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spartacus said:

chuck Knox returned the team to relevance for a while

True

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knox should be in the discussion. When he came to Buffalo the Bills were a mess. He built that team into a contender. If they could have beaten the Colts once in 80 then they would have had homefield advantage. The Bills probably beat the Chargers and Raiders if the games were at Rich Stadium.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 4 - 2 each:

  Lou Saban

  Marv Levy

  Scottie Bowman

  Lindy Ruff

 

 

6 hours ago, Herc11 said:

 

If you're gonna throw in the Braves, might as well throw in the only championship winning franchise in Buffalo (so far), the Bandits. A quick google search shows Les Bartley as the head coach for 3 of the 4 national champion Bandit teams.

Not the only championship winning franchise in Buffalo:  let's not discount the 2 AFL Championships that the Bills won in the 60's..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...