My (with help from fellow posters) projected 53 as of now

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

This.

Unless Foster has made great strides since last year, he's gone. Davis makes his skillset redundant, and if they're even, you go with the rookie you spent a 4th on.

Hodgins makes Duke's skillset redundant, and again, if they're about even, the edge goes to the rookie.

McKenzie, I thought, would be safe, due to his utility as a gadget guy. However, it has recently been pointed out to me that Stefon Diggs is actually quite effective on jet sweeps throughout his career. And "he can run jet sweeps!" isn't enough of a reason to keep a guy on the roster, anyway.

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, Hodgins, Roberts. 

If they only keep five on the active roster, Hodgins likely winds up on the practice squad.

To me the fact that they non tendered McKenzie, nobody signed him, and then they re-signed him for peanuts, tells us what we need to know about McKenzie. He will be available after getting cut to be signed in case of an injury. I also think a guy like Taiwan Jones could provide a jet sweep or two. I think they keep six, including the two rookies and Roberts. Out of the incumbents, imo Foster has the best chance to stick becuase of his ability as a gunner. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Logic said:

There isn't a 55. It's still a 53.

The new rules state that you can bring two people up from your practice squad on a game week, but at the conclusion of that game, they must be released (and thus, subject to waivers), and then can be placed back on the practice squad. If you choose to keep the two new players on your active roster, you must release two other players. At the conclusion of each game week, there must still be 53 players on the roster.

That seems like a strange rule. You’re basically risking losing your “best” PS players ever week, just in case you need them in a game. 

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That seems like a strange rule. You’re basically risking losing your “best” PS players ever week, just in case you need them in a game. 

Agreed. Alas, that's the rule.

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

To me the fact that they non tendered McKenzie, nobody signed him, and then they re-signed him for peanuts, tells us what we need to know about McKenzie. He will be available after getting cut to be signed in case of an injury. I also think a guy like Taiwan Jones could provide a jet sweep or two. I think they keep six, including the two rookies and Roberts. Out of the incumbents, imo Foster has the best chance to stick becuase of his ability as a gunner. 

Yep. If Davis can be a quality special teams contributor, that all but seals Foster's fate, in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I don't think Andre Roberts did much of anything last year to automatically claim a roster spot.  I believe he had one big kickoff return all season.  I think Taiwan Jones can replace him just fine if needed.  As can Isaiah McKenzie.  I would think the WR's are Diggs Brown Beasley Davis Hodgins and McKenzie.  Really surprised what happened to Robert Foster last year.  Guy caught 3 passes all season.  Duke will get a chance, but he just has to get better all around.  Better at making the tougher catch.  Better at getting separation.  Get a little more explosive.  Get more athletic.  I wonder what his ceiling is.  Not sure yet.  We definitely will have a much deeper group which is great for the team.  

I think we will see a  leaner and quicker Duke at camp, i think his lack of playing time was a factor in his overall performance, with an over 63 percent catch rate (within .6 of Beasley) and with limited playing time bodes well for him, jmo. 
I lean towards letting go Roberts, Foster, and McKenzie, all three were not particularly productive and can easily be replaced with remaining talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billspro said:

Murphy won’t be cut. I think Murphy and Long are the most likely to be traded.  

I would do this as well. I think they should roll with Allen and Fromm. Then have Webb on the practice squad. 

It’s tough for me to justify a spot for Roberts and McKenzie. Hopefully one of those guys can win both roles and the other one can be released. We have too much talent to have both of those players.

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Being tall shouldn’t be the main reason why a WR makes the team. Hodgins is a developmental prospect and unless he has a great showing at camp (if we have one) then he’s a long shot to make the roster. 

I assume pretty much every returner is taking kicks from out of the end zone.

What data do you have that shows Roberts is the only guy whose numbers are inflated for ALWAYS returning punts 8 yards deep?

Regardless of your feelings, Roberts was top 5 in kickoff returns, top 10 in punt returns and as a team we were 9th in starting field position.

He’s apparently doing his job well so I’m confused as to why you are so adamant on trying to replace him. 

Hodgins has great hands AND is tall.  He has ability.  He put up huge numbers last season in the PAC 12,  I think he and Davis bring a new dynamic to the passing game.

I don't have data on the rest of the kick returners in the NFL because I can't watch every game.  I was underwhelmed by his returns last year.  He did not give the impression that he could break one every time he touched the ball.  Terrence McGhee and Leodis McKelvin gave that vibe  Just saying that his explosiveness and elusiveness looks done to me.  I hope he proves me wrong if he is on the team.  

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I think we will see a  leaner and quicker Duke at camp, i think his lack of playing time was a factor in his overall performance, with an over 63 percent catch rate (within .6 of Beasley) and with limited playing time bodes well for him, jmo. 
I lean towards letting go Roberts, Foster, and McKenzie, all three were not particularly productive and can easily be replaced with remaining talent. 

Insiteful take on Duke DO.  I hope you are right.  If he can become a professional NFL receiver, that would be awesome for our passing game.  

Agree about the other 3, except McKenzie brings a little juice with his game.  But Taiwan Jones can do what he does, and play special teams.  

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Hodgins has great hands AND is tall.  He has ability.  He put up huge numbers last season in the PAC 12,  I think he and Davis bring a new dynamic to the passing game.

He has size and hands but the obvious concern is his speed and ability to separate at the next level. It’s probably why he was taken in 7th round. There’s some talent there to work with but he’ll probably have to ball out to make the 53.

59 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I don't have data on the rest of the kick returners in the NFL because I can't watch every game.  I was underwhelmed by his returns last year.  He did not give the impression that he could break one every time he touched the ball.  Terrence McGhee and Leodis McKelvin gave that vibe  Just saying that his explosiveness and elusiveness looks done to me.  I hope he proves me wrong if he is on the team.  

I assume he’s going to make the roster unless someone proves to be better. Not sure I see an upgrade on the current roster.

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I would take Roberts returning kicks over McKelvin 100/100 times. For me it’s less about your ability to score as a return guy as it is to make good decisions and secure the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

We will not keep 10 DL on the roster. McBeane have kept 8 DL on the roster. It might be reasonable for us to keep 9, with how deep we are, but we will not keep 10.

I would think that we would keep 9, and then 6 lb. Matakevich has played little LB, he is more of a special teams ace. I would think we wouldn't go into the season with only 4 viable LB, especially with Milanos injury history. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Very nice post.  I don't think the Bills are getting the production from Beasley that they could be.  Seems to me he'd be a nearly 100 catch guy in New England.  I think Beasley's  a bill in 2020 but in 2021 if one of the younger guys emerges and with Diggs able to play slot, he's vulnerable given his cost. 

Totally agree.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I would take Roberts returning kicks over McKelvin 100/100 times. For me it’s less about your ability to score as a return guy as it is to make good decisions and secure the ball.

McKelvin had one big fumble in 2009 on a kickoff return opening nite against New England.  I get that.  He also was the best punt returner we have had in the last two decades.  (McGhee returned kickoffs primarily)  If you can direct me to a better one, please do.  Roberts was not that last year.  

31 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

McKelvin had one big fumble in 2009 on a kickoff return opening nite against New England.  I get that.  He also was the best punt returner we have had in the last two decades.  (McGhee returned kickoffs primarily)  If you can direct me to a better one, please do.  Roberts was not that last year.  

I'd rather have Hyde field punts than McKelvin. It was too nerve wracking.

QB: Allen, Barkley, Fromm

RB: Singletary, Moss, Jones, DiMarco (FB)

WR: Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, Hodgins, Roberts (KR)

TE: Knox, Kroft, Sweeney

OT: Dawkins, Ford, Nskhe, Williams 

Center: Morse

OG: Spain, Feliciano, Boehm, Bates

DE: Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Johnson

DT: Oliver, Lotulelei, Jefferson, Butler, Phillips 

LB: Edmunds, Milano, Klein, Joseph, Matakevich, Thompson

CB: White, Norman, Johnson, Gaines, Wallace, Jackson

S: Hyde, Poyer, Marlowe, Neal, Johnson

K: Bass

P: Vedvik

LS: Ferguson

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Qb: Allen Barkley Fromm

Rb: Singletary Moss T. Jones

Wr: Diggs Brown Beasley McKenzie Davis Hodgins

Te: Knox Kroft Sweeney

Ol: Dawkins Spain Morse Feliciano Williams Ford Bates Nseke Long

Dl: Hughes Oliver Star Addison Phillips Jefferson Butler Murphy Johnson Epenesa

Lb: Edmunds Milano Klien Thompson Matakavich

Cb White Gaines Norman Johnson Wallace

S: Poyer Hyde Johnson Neal Marlowe

Ls: Ferguson

Kr: Roberts

P: ???

K: Bass

PS Wade V.Joseph D. Jackson Duke???

Looks pretty good to me. Lets start the season!!!

On 5/3/2020 at 2:36 PM, GoBills808 said:

Yep. Catch the ball. Get a few yards. Get down. Occasionally break a big one if there is a hole.

Securing the ball is by far the most important thing and anything else pales in comparison. Knowing when to not catch it is up there too.

On 5/3/2020 at 12:47 PM, buffaloboyinATL said:

If you truly needed them in a game, you’d likely keep them on the roster.