Beane has traded up 5 times in 2 drafts.

PIZ

49 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He traded up with extra assets he acquired.  He’s already “traded up this year when he went and used extra capital to get Diggs.  

No one should expect a big move at all, Beane likes his draft capital and he’s never included any high future picks In any trade ups and already traded next years fourth.  No way Beane is going into next year with just 1 or two picks in first 5 rounds because he traded up.  If we make any moves, it won’t happen until the cheaper rounds to trade up in.  He won’t be trading up in the first 3 rounds IMO unless it’s a cheap and small move.  I can’t see him giving up on any of our first three picks next year.

Yeah, I'm not expecting a big move from Beane.

Maybe he'll try to get another 4th round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see it again.  Look, there is no way 7 draft picks are making this roster.  There might not even be a way 5 or 6 make the roster.  So those extra draft picks he has accumulated are likely better used to move up and get a player they want versus maybe waiting to take someone they really don't.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Um. Jury is way out on Ford and Knox. 

Under “normal” circumstances the jury is still out on the vast majority of draft picks League wide with one season under their belt, so um...

Go Bills!!!

I’m a big fan of trading up in the 3rd, 4th and 5th round as little compensation is necessary to go up. In the 1st or 2nd round you’re talking blockbuster trades and mucho dinero. I prefer the former, but if a good QB is available, sometimes it’s unavoidable. Neither is bad if you know what you’re doing but RDS 3-7 is a bullish market.

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Look over the history of this teams yearly first draft pick under Ralph Wilson and it was mostly RB's, CB's.

12 DB's by my count

I don’t mind a good CB in the 1st , but to use a 9th overall pick on a RB when we already had Beast mode and Fred Jackson that right there is just ?‍♂️

Edited by Putin

Two drafts are not enough to produce a pattern, in my opinion, especially when you consider that those were both rebuilding years, one of which we needed a QB.

We'll see what he does this year.

This year, with the pieces they have and starting so far down, I expect no trade ups nor big deals.

And that's not a knock on him, I LOOOOOVE that he goes for PROVEN players. Those beat draft picks except in salary cap considerations. 

Beane falls in love with players are pursues them. That or he sees someone that in his mind, falls so much relative to their assessed value that he feels what he loses in value by trading up is offset by the value of the position slip.

I'd be very much ok staying as slotted.  Rds 2-4 for BPA/need. 5-6 for depth/development. Rd 6, pick 207 for a punter.

I've always wondered how much input McDermott has on these trades too. I'd love to be a fly on the wall. 

If McDermott says, "Hey, our guy Cody is there at pick ______, you think you can get him?"

I truly feel that these two love working together and feed off of each other. 

it could just be that McDermott sits back and trusts Beane too.

6 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I've always wondered how much input McDermott has on these trades too. I'd love to be a fly on the wall. 

If McDermott says, "Hey, our guy Cody is there at pick ______, you think you can get him?"

I truly feel that these two love working together and feed off of each other. 

it could just be that McDermott sits back and trusts Beane too.

I would bet that McD is right there with Beane and has a wishlist and/or gives input, where Beane gets the guy based on where he sits on the board.  I doubt Beane will reach just because McD (or one of his staff) wants him, but yeah, I think you're right that they are working together.  For example, take Cody Ford; for those that complain he is not a RT, was picked too early, etc, I could believe that is on Beane just as much as McD.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Putin said:

I don’t mind a good CB in the 1st , but to use a 9th overall pick on a RB when we already had Beast mode and Fred Jackson that right there is just ?‍♂️

Or when they allow them to go to a rival, like Stephon Gilmore?

I'm just happy the days of incompetent losers running this franchise are long gone. Hopefully we can look forward to many seasons of winning. 

So many times in the past where some Bills fans criticized the moves made by past regimes there were always some who defended those horrid moves. One Bills fan defended Dick Jauron in a thread with 125 pages...