Beane has traded up 5 times in 2 drafts.

PIZ

IMO Beane will try hard to get a good deal to trade back into the Late 2nd or early 3rd round. He’s mentioned multiple times how he believes this will be a short offseason and if so late round picks will be all but useless 

top end talent is always more important 

• Like (+1) 2

I would say that trading down tends to be the best move (unless it is for a QB and even then it has to be the right QB) as the draft is a crap shoot and getting more tickets in this game is usually better. However trading up isn't bad if you are a GM that trusts your scouting and knows the draft board/league analysis well. I would rather trade a 6th round pick to move up 7-10 spots in round 4 to secure a better player than to just always take picks that might never amount to anyone of consequence. 

The thing I've said that makes Beane different from a lot of the Bills GMs over the last 20 years or so is that he has a plan and he executes it. Other GMs have made trade-ups / big moves, but it often felt that they were were one off moves and didn't feel like there was a 'team building' aspect to them. Many of Beane's moves feel like they're coordinated and planned in conjunction with each other.

Also, my natural inclination is to trade down, but I think a reasonable goal is 3 players who play a significant amount of snaps of draft. If you get at least 3 of those guys every season, I think you have a solid base to keep your talent level. So if trading up gets you those guys then great. 

Edmunds was a top 5 pick on many boards and wasn't even 20 years old yet. So, the price to get him at 16 was a chance well taken. 

Acquire draft capital, properly assign value and recognize when that value far exceeds the draft position.  That's the process.  Trust that they can manage it well.

When the history of this draft is written, it will probably be forgotten that the Diggs trade was essentially a trade up.  So the trend has already continued as others have said.

18 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

This year, with the pieces they have and starting so far down, I expect no trade ups nor big deals.

And that's not a knock on him, I LOOOOOVE that he goes for PROVEN players. Those beat draft picks except in salary cap considerations. 

I absolutely expect, at least, one trade up.  I can’t foresee any scenario where we draft 7 players, with 4 of those picks in Rounds 5-7.   Aside from one of those guys being a punter, I don’t really see any of them having much of a chance at making this roster. 

If I had to guess, we end up with 3 picks tomorrow night in Rounds 2 & 3. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I would say that trading down tends to be the best move (unless it is for a QB and even then it has to be the right QB) as the draft is a crap shoot and getting more tickets in this game is usually better. However trading up isn't bad if you are a GM that trusts your scouting and knows the draft board/league analysis well. I would rather trade a 6th round pick to move up 7-10 spots in round 4 to secure a better player than to just always take picks that might never amount to anyone of consequence. 

We’re in the position to take late round picks to move up in the draft.  It makes all the sense in the world for us.  

Teams looking to gain mid-late round picks are those that are cash-strapped or have a ton of holes and need all the bullets they can get. 

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We’re in the position to take late round picks to move up in the draft.  It makes all the sense in the world for us.  

Teams looking to gain mid-late round picks are those that are cash-strapped or have a ton of holes and need all the bullets they can get. 

In the previous 3 drafts I can't think of any 6th or 7th round picks that were significant contributors. Milano was a 5th round pick and T.Johnson was a 4th round pick. Those two are the only ones I can think of past round 3. So it isn't like this front office nails those late round gems often enough where you have to value those late round picks like gold. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

In the previous 3 drafts I can't think of any 6th or 7th round picks that were significant contributors. Milano was a 5th round pick and T.Johnson was a 4th round pick. Those two are the only ones I can think of past round 3. So it isn't like this front office nails those late round gems often enough where you have to value those late round picks like gold. 

Darryl Johnson will, this year.

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Darryl Johnson was a 7th, as was Tommy Sweeney. 

32 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Darryl Johnson was a 7th, as was Tommy Sweeney. 

Neither have really been much of a contributor thus far. I was talking about a guy drafted in the 6th or 7th that has played a key role or started significantly. Sweeney was a backup who flashed some potential but not exactly someone you can't find rather easily. I hope I am wrong about both as I think they have some potential but neither 6th or 7th round picks from 2017 or 2018 have come through that much. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Neither have really been much of a contributor thus far. I was talking about a guy drafted in the 6th or 7th that has played a key role or started significantly. Sweeney was a backup who flashed some potential but not exactly someone you can't find rather easily. I hope I am wrong about both as I think they have some potential but neither 6th or 7th round picks from 2017 or 2018 have come through that much. 

Johnson played 22% of our defensive snaps and 67% of our STs snaps. Was solid pressuring the QB on stunts. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Johnson played 22% of our defensive snaps and 67% of our STs snaps. Was solid pressuring the QB on stunts. 

Maybe this is because I didn't notice him much (thus being a perception bias) but I didn't think he was anything special last year in the limited playing time he got. 

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The thing I've said that makes Beane different from a lot of the Bills GMs over the last 20 years or so is that he has a plan and he executes it. Other GMs have made trade-ups / big moves, but it often felt that they were were one off moves and didn't feel like there was a 'team building' aspect to them. Many of Beane's moves feel like they're coordinated and planned in conjunction with each other.

Also, my natural inclination is to trade down, but I think a reasonable goal is 3 players who play a significant amount of snaps of draft. If you get at least 3 of those guys every season, I think you have a solid base to keep your talent level. So if trading up gets you those guys then great. 

I have been saying this for a while and the response comes back a big silence.  I think he trades up to get players he wants.  He uses careful evaluation of free agents who out performed their place on the depth chart or were stacked up behind much better players, in order to meet some needs. He works that to get into a position where when the draft comes, he can move up and get the guy at a position of need and a guy who is a superior player who will win you games. ...

I am just amazed by all the poster who say   "Best player available" and then go into "well we need a 3rd string defensive end, 4th string WR because our starters and backups may retire some day".   JMJ!  THEY are drafting for need, but if you don't agree with them, well then, you are just a stupid reacher who lacks the sophisticated insight that they have.

57 minutes ago, Doc said:

Darryl Johnson will, this year.

I also have a hope that we will find this out and be happy.

On 4/22/2020 at 11:13 AM, eball said:

There's nothing wrong with trading up if by doing so you acquire a starter or significant contributor.  Beane locked down two of the most important positions on the field (QB, MLB) with three of his trade-ups, and Ford and Knox look to be starters for a while as well.

Remember for so many years how boring the Bills were on draft day?  Just staying in the slot and picking.  I enjoy Beane's wheeling and dealing.

I'm with ya on this. I do not at all yearn for the days of Buddy "We gon' stand pat, we like our picks" Nix.

It's such a catch-22 with some fans, tho. They'll whine that the Bills didn't do enough in the draft, didn't swing any big trades, etc. Then we get a regime that isn't afraid of risks and moves around the board and those same fans will shout, "No! Not like that! You've ruined everything, you've wasted all the good picks!" Can't win.

• Thank you (+1) 1