Beane has traded up 5 times in 2 drafts.

PIZ

I hope he only trades in this draft after he selects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

Total picks right now for 2020 = 7:

Round 2, Pick 54. 

Round 3, Pick 86. 

Round 4, Pick 128. 

Round 5, Pick 167. 

Round 6, Pick 188. 

Round 6, Pick 207. 

Round 7, Pick 239. 

Edited by PIZ
  • Like (+1) 1

There's nothing wrong with trading up if by doing so you acquire a starter or significant contributor.  Beane locked down two of the most important positions on the field (QB, MLB) with three of his trade-ups, and Ford and Knox look to be starters for a while as well.

Remember for so many years how boring the Bills were on draft day?  Just staying in the slot and picking.  I enjoy Beane's wheeling and dealing.

• Like (+1) 7

I love seeing a GM trading up to get a guy that they have scouted. I’ll take a GM who believes in his scouting and makes that move to get a guy that they like over a GM that just plays it safe to keep his job. I like seeing the passion that Beanie has after he executes a trade and gets a guy that he wants. I think Beanie is going to build this roster into something special. He adds 3 to 4 players every year that upgrade or add valuable depth. I love the passion Beanie brings on draft day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’m happy that he feels enough conviction and has enough confidence to pull the trigger on going to get players that he wants.

That being said, he had SIGNIFICANTLY more “draft capital” to work with in the previous 2 drafts.  I do think he will try to use 5th-7th round picks to move up in the 3rd or 4th round.  I don’t think he will want to part with his 3rd or 4th to move up in round 2, but I would trust his judgment if he does.

27 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I love seeing a GM trading up to get a guy that they have scouted. I’ll take a GM who believes in his scouting and makes that move to get a guy that they like over a GM that just plays it safe to keep his job. I like seeing the passion that Beanie has after he executes a trade and gets a guy that he wants. I think Beanie is going to build this roster into something special. He adds 3 to 4 players every year that upgrade or add valuable depth. I love the passion Beanie brings on draft day.

The counter (and I really like Edmunds so I don’t hate, just showing why it’s not always great to trade up):

TE was drafted at 16.  LVE went at 19.  Darius Leonard went 36.  The Bills gave up pick 65.  

so the Bills could not have traded up and had Leonard and paired him with Orlando Brown pro bowl level OT, WR Michael Gallup, DT Nnadi, or TE Mark Andrews (the Ravens ray lewised the 3rd round that year).  

they also could have taken OT Isiash Wynn, WRs DJ Moore or Ridley.  Then they could have paired them with LB Fred Warner, a baller for the 49ers.  

I really like Edmunds so it’s nitpicking.  But I would probably trade him for any of those combos.  

12 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m happy that he feels enough conviction and has enough confidence to pull the trigger on going to get players that he wants.

That being said, he had SIGNIFICANTLY more “draft capital” to work with in the previous 2 drafts.  I do think he will try to use 5th-7th round picks to move up in the 3rd or 4th round.  I don’t think he will want to part with his 3rd or 4th to move up in round 2, but I would trust his judgment if he does.

I’m fine with any trade up after the first.  

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Beane is unpredictable.

If he sees a player that he wants, he's going to get him.

• Like (+1) 4

58 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I hope he only trades in this draft after he selects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

He traded up with extra assets he acquired.  He’s already “traded up this year when he went and used extra capital to get Diggs.  

No one should expect a big move at all, Beane likes his draft capital and he’s never included any high future picks In any trade ups and already traded next years fourth.  No way Beane is going into next year with just 1 or two picks in first 5 rounds because he traded up.  If we make any moves, it won’t happen until the cheaper rounds to trade up in.  He won’t be trading up in the first 3 rounds IMO unless it’s a cheap and small move.  I can’t see him giving up on any of our first three picks next year.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm confident Beane was involved in 2017 from afar and 2018-19 of course as GM.  

Point is, this roster is a lot different than it was each of those years when they were overhauling as opposed to now with it being refined.  

I don't see Buffalo trading up largely because they bank on a lot of UFAs to start, particularly at OL, DL, and WR.  They need young guys who'll supplant those experienced types when their contracts end.  

In short, roster management is different now and they don't have the draft capital to maneuver up.  I'd expect them to sit still in round 2, although beyond that sure, they could move around.  

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Beane is unpredictable.

If he sees a player that he wants, he's going to get him.

Absolutely! I love how he targets certain guys, sticks to his evaluation, and does what’s needed to go and get him. He believes in his board and sticks to it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Even in the two Bills' drafts prior to Beane's, there were 2nd round trade-ups. To acquire Reggie Ragland, Dion Dawkins and Zay Jones. So it may not be Beane, but something in the Buffalo water.

If there is one thing, we learn from TBD mocks, it is how much of a crapshoot the draft actually is - especially below round 1. While the Allen and Edmunds round 1 trade ups were significant (especially given the value + need), jury is still out regarding the round 2 and beyond trade ups. Cody Ford was actually a very minor tradeup. Both Jones and Ragland were major misses. 

48 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I could see him moving those later picks too. It’s more about quality over quantity at this point, we have a quality roster and only so many openings next year. Plus they’ve been good with their undrafted players too (Wallace, Foster) so we can sacrifice the later picks. 

Anyone else recall when Buddy Nix made his great draft day trade up in the third round of the 2012 NFL draft for WR TJ Graham...and then gloated about it by saying "who says we don't trade up"! He moved up four spots in the third...

I'm more than happy we now have Brandon Beane calling the shots. AND, I still expect a trade up into the first or early second for a defensive player. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

There's nothing wrong with trading up if by doing so you acquire a starter or significant contributor.  Beane locked down two of the most important positions on the field (QB, MLB) with three of his trade-ups, and Ford and Knox look to be starters for a while as well.

Remember for so many years how boring the Bills were on draft day?  Just staying in the slot and picking.  I enjoy Beane's wheeling and dealing.

Yes the days of selecting RB’s in the 1st rounds