RB is a really GLARING need, right?

55 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I don't know the last time I began a thread. I didn't see one dedicated to this topic. (But I'm wrong ALL the time.)

Christian McCaffrey:wub: is a screaming,  pulsing, must-have need for the 2020 Bills. Right? I mean, behind Singletary we have Yeldon, who I don't hate as 3rd down-ish receiving back, and what? A rugby guy who I'd love to see take giant moon-leaps towards NFL relevance, but isn't exactly a reliable commodity, and a special teamer who is valuable, but not on offense. 

So we 100% need Christian McCaffrey:wub: to spell Singletary and potentially fill-in in the unfortunate and often likely case of injury. Or maybe I'm dim. 

It's nice to have so few glaring weaknesses, but this is one. In my humble estimation. 

Right?

Fixed it for you! Yes, you are soooo correct:worthy:

Here’s what I know: while I (like every other breathing Bills fan) agree RB is a must somewhere over the next 4 weeks, I LOVE the fact that Beane has done such a good job that there are very good options all over the place. 

I remember so many times in years past that the Bills were painted into a corner in FA or the Draft or both, and they just swung at anything that came their way and it showed. Again I say it, this....is so damn refreshing. 

2 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

We’re definitely drafting a RB on Day 2. It’s a huge need and I can’t wait to see who they look at. 

Jonathan Taylor is the dream but doubt he lasts until 54. Cam Akers would be fun.

I could see no Rbs going rd 1.  Then look at who needs a back?  Come pick 54 Buffalo could have their pick of the group or at least top group

50 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Totally agree that this need does not necessitate a huge investment of money or draft capital to fill.

But, that doesn't lessen the importance of filling it, right? 

Really hammering this point, sorry. 

CB and depth LB (although I like Corey Thompson) seem like the only other obvious holes to fill...

Vosean Joseph is back too at LB.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Not to be all semantic, or anything... but I mean, we're talking about a backup position here. A need? Sure. Even, I would argue, our biggest need. But, GLARING? 

Many teams lose their starting RB during the season for various amounts of time.  The Bills like to share carries with two backs.  I would consider our "back up" RB to be a starter.  I am confident Beane will fill RB2 and well.  But, it is important and essential.  Especially with Josh Allen being in year 3 and needing weapons, but, surely don't need to handicap him at the position.  And, the Bills have an awesome team this year and can make a good run into the playoffs  So, why risk a great opportunity when you are one injury away from potentially Yeldon starting.

Beane's got this!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The need is not glaring but it is a need. Also, the need is not for a back up. The need is for a co-running back. I have to admit, I am in AJ Dillon fan. But I also trust the GM to deal with this position adequately.Also, I really think Yeldon was pretty bad last year. I would be fine if he was not on the team in 2020.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, without a drought said:

The Bills will not take a rb with their 2nd round pick unless they consider Singletary a backup.

Edge, CB or OT are all more likely choices at 54. 

If they did take a running back in the second round it would not mean that Singletery becomes a back up.It would mean that they have a two-pronged running attack.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It is definitely a need.  It might be the easiest need to fill in all of football, however.  Running backs come out of nowhere all the time and end up starring in the NFL.  Phillip Lindsay made the pro bowl for Denver as an undrafted free agent.  Aaron Jones for the Packers was a fifth round pick.  Damien Williams has carved out a nice career, first with Miami and now with KC, starting out as an undrafted free agent.  I expect Buffalo will draft a running back somewhere in rounds 2-4, but they also could sign a veteran free agent at a value price, and probably find a UDFA who can play too, if they want.  Running backs are just not that hard to find.

• Like (+1) 2

Last year, the 49ers had a good formula. Get three good backs because you may need them all throughout the season.

* Coleman

* Breida

* Mostert

To my eye, Singletary compares to Mostert. I think we'll draft a guy. It's possible Christian Wade learns how to take a handoff and steps in.  It's possible Yeldon sticks.  It's possible we sign a FA. I can't wait to see what unfolds.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I do not think it is a "glaring" need. We have a solid 1 and I would like better behind him but if it is Yeldon and some rookie I am fine. I would prefer a better LB or DE for the rotation.

A few others are making the argument that RB is never a "glaring" need, and I've often said something like that myself.

But what I typically mean is that you shouldn't feel compelled to spend excessive capital to address the need. A solid offense DOES need effective RB play, though.

So how do the Bills ensure they get solid production from the position over the course of an entire NFL campaign? (Draft Day 2 is the most popular option so far.)

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

I don't know the last time I began a thread. I didn't see one dedicated to this topic. (But I'm wrong ALL the time.)

Running back is a screaming,  pulsing, must-have need for the 2020 Bills. Right? I mean, behind Singletary we have Yeldon, who I don't hate as 3rd down-ish receiving back, and what? A rugby guy who I'd love to see take giant moon-leaps towards NFL relevance, but isn't exactly a reliable commodity, and a special teamer who is valuable, but not on offense. 

So we 100% need a valid, starter-level RB to spell Singletary and potentially fill-in in the unfortunate and often likely case of injury. Or maybe I'm dim. 

It's nice to have so few glaring weaknesses, but this is one. In my humble estimation. 

Right?

RB is a need for sure. Singletary is a great number 2 and he is shifty and elusive, but can’t hit the home run. Yeldon is a 3 all day- great on passing down and can get some chunks on the ground here and there however he runs too high and doesn’t get his pads down. We can’t place bets on the Rugby guy and must draft a RB rd  2-3. It is a deep RB crop this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

I feel where the team is today the Bills should wait and see who we get if anyone in the draft. And then go from there. Dobbins through Dillion would be great to me. If it doesn’t happen and we go with Singletary, Hyde, & Yeldon ok I’m in. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Not to be all semantic, or anything... but I mean, we're talking about a backup position here. A need? Sure. Even, I would argue, our biggest need. But, GLARING? 

to be fair it’s a backup like WR3 or your 5th guy on the DL. 

he will get a lot of important snaps, whoever it is.

because we have luxury money I wouldn’t mind being a little silly with offering a late pick for a solid overpriced vet somewhere even. Or a vet free agent AND a day 2 pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

If they did take a running back in the second round it would not mean that Singletery becomes a back up.It would mean that they have a two-pronged running attack.

I'm just saying they are not using that much draft capital on a rb when they have their starter. They are not looking to replace him as the starter with the pick,  they aren't looking for his backup with the pick or looking for a 1A or 1B with the pick.

A cost controlled CB or Edge probably makes the most sense. Tre is going to get paid, having a guy opposite him on a rookie deal will be a good idea when Josh gets paid.

I would like to see the Bills get a big bruising back that is very hard to bring down and when we have lead in the second half he can help wear out the opposing teams defense so the Bills can open up the offense against a tired defense and not letting the opposing teams hang around late in games as the Bills did multiple times this past season. Does anyone know of a running back that could fill that role in the draft or free agency?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

The era of the Bell Cow RB is over.  The punishment on their bodies is just too great for someone to soak up that many touches.  Even a beast like Derrick Henry was breaking down at the end of the season and missed some time and his availability in the playoffs was in question.  RB is a two player position today.  A good team should have a 1a and a 1b at that position.  We definitely have the 1a in Singletary.  Lets get the 1b in the draft.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The era of the Bell Cow RB is over.  The punishment on their bodies is just too great for someone to soak up that many touches.  Even a beast like Derrick Henry was breaking down at the end of the season and missed some time and his availability in the playoffs was in question.  RB is a two player position today.  A good team should have a 1a and a 1b at that position.  We definitely have the 1a in Singletary.  Lets get the 1b in the draft.

Agreed.  Singletary is not a Bell Cow RB and that era is over anyway.   And if Singletary is 1a, Yeldon is not 1b.

I don't agree with the posters who seem to think RBs are a dime-a-dozen.  There's just as big a difference between JAGs and Superstars at the RB position as any other position.  I'd like the Bills 1b to be someone who's good-to-great, not just a JAG like Yeldon.  

Ideally, the 1a and 1b possess different skillsets.  So I'd love to see us draft a strong between-the-tackles bruiser.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1