Bills sign Josh Norman

36 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

McDermott knows the Josh Norman of 4 years ago. 4 years is an eternity in the NFL. It's longer than most careers. Can we slow down on this?

Normans skills/abilities have no doubt regressed. The question is does he have anything left to be something of value to the Bills and not be an extreme liability like he was in Washington.

My thought process is no.

I definitely understand what you are saying.  This signing isn't exciting by any means, I just don't think it's horrible either.  He will compete for the #2 spot and if he's not good enough, he will be depth.  Im really interested in the full details of the contract.  Haven't seen the guarantees yet, so if those are low, he can still get cut.  Beane has been smart structuring some of these contracts, hopefully it's the case here.

I didn't think this was the type of guy who would take the cheap, one year deal to be the second banana, but if anyone can get him to behave and produce it's McD.  And if he does regain anything close to his old form, our secondary will be stellar.

Low risk, high upside.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

A little high considering his last couple seasons, but it's a one year deal and we have money to burn so who really cares?

1/4 on the free agent signings I feel pretty confident about, though this was easily the one I was most confident in.

You’re a little high?? Cuz the contract isn’t. 

A.) Its cheap, actually.

B) we have a gazillion dollar$ to spend

C) he’s a Vet with knowledge of the system

D.) it ain’t Your money.

So yeah, you’re a little high.

5 hours ago, Clemfield2622 said:

i'm not saying he is going to come to Buffalo and have it be 2015 all over again, but it is pretty widely known that moving to a man to man system was the biggest factor in his drop off. he isn't going to be asked to do that any more. low risk move IMO. 

Except that at times, to shut down the run more effectively, haven't we played man at times?

39 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Which is my response to the "I trust McD and Beane, they know Norman". They knew a bunch of the other duds. And Rivera knows Norman as do many other coaches. 

Well that takes work...

Rivera does know him and knows he’s not a fit for their defense 

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

You’re a little high?? Cuz the contract isn’t. 

A.) Its cheap, actually.

B) we have a gazillion dollar$ to spend

C) he’s a Vet with knowledge of the system

D.) it ain’t Your money.

So yeah, you’re a little high.

This is the dumbest argument.

So if the bills sign a backup level player to 12 mil a year because "it aint my money" i have no right to question it, or be skeptical of it?

This move indicates to me that they think they are close and are going for it this year. They have the cap room and at a moderate cost they can bring in Norman and see if he has 1 good year left in him in a scheme in which he thrived. 

When a team does well, it's the type of move the pundits look back on and talk about how brilliant it was. As a ton of others have said they probably have it structured so if Norman gets to camp and he's done, they release him. If they were willing to part with McCoy, they will do it with Norman too. 

You have to take chances. The Patriots have done it all the time, Antoine Smith, Corey Dillon, Randy Moss, Albert Haynesworth, Antonio Brown, Revis, some work out, some don't but when you manage your salary cap and draft well it allows you to take calculated risks. That's the spot the Bills are in now, plenty of cap space, draft picks and no onerous commitments with current players, and with a 1 year deal there are no long term ramifications if it doesn't work out. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

This is the dumbest argument.

So if the bills sign a backup level player to 12 mil a year because "it aint my money" i have no right to question it, or be skeptical of it?

That’s correct. NOW you’re getting it.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Yeah, I'm going to lean on the side of Beane and McDermott....you know, two guys that know Norman's game inside and out and how he will fit into the Bills scheme.

This.  McD knows exactly what he can get from Norman, so signing him means the Bills are adding an important piece. 

I don’t get how anyone has a problem with this. He did well in McDermotts system and they’ve done really well evaluating and bringing in vets for depth in our schemes. 

Also it’s 6 million dollars in a position we needed depth in. I guess some people just aren’t comfortable unless they’re complaining about something. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

If Mac and Beane think this guy is anything like he was when he played for Carolina, they'll surely regret this move.  Norman became a joke with the Redskins.

Maybe it wasn't Norman. 

Maybe it was Manusky.

My only thing about this is bringing in a CB for $6M with Poyer under contract for $2.7M salary this year (and publically feeling underpaid) has to seem a bit like a smack in the face to JP.

• Like (+1) 1