Sunday Ticket monopoly may be ending......

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28838824/nfl-seeks-us-supreme-court-review-case-aimed-sunday-ticket

As an out of towner, I have zero issue with not spending $300 in one place. I'm blessed to live in a building that ALLOWS me to buy the Ticket as a renter and stream it on my TV/computer/phone (super helpful at fall kid soccer games).

• Like (+1) 2

The title is a bit misleading.  It's highly unlikely that even if the court takes up the case, it will lead to overturning decades of precedents of allowing exclusive content distribution arrangements.

PS it's notable that it's the NFL that's bringing the case to SCOTUS, with the expectation that the Court will affirm existing rules.

Edited by GG

I HOPE SO! Dumped DirecTV for YouTube TV (best move I've made in a while) - however I'm now shut out from having any way of RELIABLY getting Bills game (I'm out of town) since I can't get Sunday Ticket anymore. I've warned my wife I'll be at the bar most Sunday's now - but even that's not ideal (bunch of local fans cheering their team / no volume, etc.). NFL was stoopid to grant exclusivity to DirecTV in the first place. Of course they made a fortune, but they alienate millions of fans.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GG said:

The title is a bit misleading.  It's highly unlikely that even if the court takes up the case, it will lead to overturning decades of precedents of allowing exclusive content distribution arrangements.

What do you predict the situation will be in, say, 2022? By the way, you'll get a kick out of this: This year, Direct TV stopped working for us because the street trees in front of our house and on the public sidewalk (14th St in Brooklyn) have grown so tall that they block reception from the Direct TV tower. We didn't realize that the dish only gets reception in one direction, and since our backyard is free of really tall trees, we were flummoxed. This started a year and a half ago, and the repair guy simply walked our dish over two houses (without us knowing) and planted it on top of another house! That house gets sold in the meantime, and the new owners discovered this and simply cut the cord (which i totally get and had no problem with). The repair guys came back and re-positioned on top of our house, and when it didn't work they figured it out - it was the trees. Consequently, we became one of the rare qualifiers for Direct TV's streaming NFL ticket package (you have to prove obstruction or no nearby tower service to get it). We signed up for that via our son who is in college, so we got the student rate - $80 for the season!

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

What do you predict the situation will be in, say, 2022?

I honestly think it will be a moot point by then.  I think that AT&T is having serious buyers' remorse in buying DTV, thinking that Sunday Ticket was the golden goose.  I doubt AT&T wants to pony up that much for an exclusive.   I think that with tech that's available now, NFL will be able to strike a deal with willing cable & satellite companies for a package that will net the league about $2 billion.

My guess on the league's action with SCOTUS is to preserve its ability to control the packaging of the rights, and not allow a legal right for individual teams to negotiate TV or streaming deals.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

By the way, you'll get a kick out of this: This year, Direct TV stopped working for us because the street trees in front of our house and on the public sidewalk (14th St in Brooklyn) have grown so tall that they block reception from the Direct TV tower. We didn't realize that the dish only gets reception in one direction, and since our backyard is free of really tall trees, we were flummoxed. This started a year and a half ago, and the repair guy simply walked our dish over two houses (without us knowing) and planted it on top of another house! That house gets sold in the meantime, and the new owners discovered this and simply cut the cord (which i totally get and had no problem with). The repair guys came back and re-positioned on top of our house, and when it didn't work they figured it out - it was the trees. Consequently, we became one of the rare qualifiers for Direct TV's streaming NFL ticket package (you have to prove obstruction or no nearby tower service to get it). We signed up for that via our son who is in college, so we got the student rate - $80 for the season!

Looks like more than one tree grew in Brooklyn.

• Like (+1) 2

I quit Sunday Ticket online before last season (in fact before they conveniently "auto renewed" me), but they STILL charged me and NEVER fully refunded me.  So, you know, F them :D

Did you read what this case is about? It would be a boon to the Dallas Cowboys and elite franchises. (That term may not apply to the Patriots anymore.) They want to be able to let teams market games individually. That means "America's Team" would pummel teams like the Bengals and Jaguars in that new revenue stream.

How would the Bills do? As long as we are competitive I think #BillsMafia will pony up but we'll always be middling at best revenue-wise. But it might be the first crack in the all-for-one, one-for-all Pete Rozelle revenue model the NFL has had for decades.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Streamed games for years now because the Bills are RARELY on in VA. This past season was the most I've ever been able to watch them on live TV since the 90's because we played the NFC East, Baltimore, a Pats game (initially forgot that one), and had Pittsburgh on a Sunday night. It was awesome. Next year it will be back to the streams except for 3 or 4 I bet. 

Edited by H2o

2 hours ago, GG said:

I honestly think it will be a moot point by then.  I think that AT&T is having serious buyers' remorse in buying DTV, thinking that Sunday Ticket was the golden goose.  I doubt AT&T wants to pony up that much for an exclusive.   I think that with tech that's available now, NFL will be able to strike a deal with willing cable & satellite companies for a package that will net the league about $2 billion.

My guess on the league's action with SCOTUS is to preserve its ability to control the packaging of the rights, and not allow a legal right for individual teams to negotiate TV or streaming deals.

They’re already streaming Thursday night games on amazon and Hulu. My guess is that a “Sunday ticket” moves to a PPV service on different streaming channels with possible package deals available. It makes the most sense and allows for an international audience. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I HOPE SO! Dumped DirecTV for YouTube TV (best move I've made in a while) - however I'm now shut out from having any way of RELIABLY getting Bills game (I'm out of town) since I can't get Sunday Ticket anymore. I've warned my wife I'll be at the bar most Sunday's now - but even that's not ideal (bunch of local fans cheering their team / no volume, etc.). NFL was stoopid to grant exclusivity to DirecTV in the first place. Of course they made a fortune, but they alienate millions of fans.

find a college kid, pay them $30 for their email, and sign up for the streaming package for college kids

• Like (+1) 2

Last month I went to Best Buy's website to buy an Amazon firestick and on their website was an add for a jailbroken firestick 4k(not sold by Best Buy). $70 later, I now have Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Inning for free. As long as my internet signal is strong, it's awesome. Watching the Yankees so far with no buffering. Comcast down here does not have the ACC network available. I am now watching FSU basketball for free too. Dump DirectTV.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Did you read what this case is about? It would be a boon to the Dallas Cowboys and elite franchises. (That term may not apply to the Patriots anymore.) They want to be able to let teams market games individually. That means "America's Team" would pummel teams like the Bengals and Jaguars in that new revenue stream.

How would the Bills do? As long as we are competitive I think #BillsMafia will pony up but we'll always be middling at best revenue-wise. But it might be the first crack in the all-for-one, one-for-all Pete Rozelle revenue model the NFL has had for decades.

The case is to break up NFL's negotiating rights as a league, but NFL's action is to preserve the right to negotiate as a league.

58 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

They’re already streaming Thursday night games on amazon and Hulu. My guess is that a “Sunday ticket” moves to a PPV service on different streaming channels with possible package deals available. It makes the most sense and allows for an international audience. 

There's not enough money in the streaming deals to replace the DTV contract.  You would also miss out on a lot of fans by going streaming only.   Cable & satellite have to be part of the next deal.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28838824/nfl-seeks-us-supreme-court-review-case-aimed-sunday-ticket

As an out of towner, I have zero issue with not spending $300 in one place. I'm blessed to live in a building that ALLOWS me to buy the Ticket as a renter and stream it on my TV/computer/phone (super helpful at fall kid soccer games).

it will go away in 2022 once the deal expires. 

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know I am in the minority here, but I really don't have any problem with Directv.

It's fine.  People want everything for free now.  I get it that people are mad about customer service but I'm not sure outside an outage why you would be on with them very much.  I do everything on the website, i think i've spoken to them twice in 20 years

• Like (+1) 1