Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

21 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

I had the day off and went to my local Publix at about 8am today, and the place was dead.

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

Both Cincinnati and a hospital up the road from us have recently had the first deaths in the area. I wonder if that’s what triggers it? It certainly seems to vary by area. 

You'll need to source that info, Augie. There have been NO deaths related to it reported. 5 cases as of today all in Butler County, but no deaths.

But the Kroger in Oakley was a free-for-all yesterday, apparently. I went there this morning at 6:15am and there were HUGE gaps in supplies of all types; food, cleaning, etc. I do believe there were middle-management people that had volunteered to re-stock shelves and gather carts, because there were all kinds of workers in there doing things that I have never seen before. It's always the same 20 people I see every morning. 

8 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

You'll need to source that info, Augie. There have been NO deaths related to it reported. 5 cases as of today all in Butler County, but no deaths.

But the Kroger in Oakley was a free-for-all yesterday, apparently. I went there this morning at 6:15am and there were HUGE gaps in supplies of all types; food, cleaning, etc. I do believe there were middle-management people that had volunteered to re-stock shelves and gather carts, because there were all kinds of workers in there doing things that I have never seen before. It's always the same 20 people I see every morning. 

You are correct, it was just a confirmation in Cincinnati. The guy up the road from me did indeed die from it, partly due to contributing factors. 

Still, I wonder what sets people off to such varying degrees in different areas. Some people are saying no big deal in their areas. 

Also, yep, the Publix by us did the same thing. I know half the people in there by name, and recognize the others. They had all kinds of new “higher-ups” there today doing what they could. 

Edited by Augie

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just some data as to why we should be trying to mitigate the spread...

Infection Rate comparison between Italy and the US

apxxmlc4kfm41.jpg

Some additional information missing from the above:

Population of Italy: 60M

Population of United States:  330M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Italy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Luckily, "social distancing" isnt too much of a stretch for a bunch of football message board nerds.

Or a (majority-time) telecommuter who's also a football message board nerd.

Working on getting the boss to OK a shift to full-week telecommuting. Wish me luck.

• Like (+1) 2

Laxatives sell out as hoarders try to make use of excess toilet paper

sold_out_laxatives-1024x557.jpg

There has been a run on laxatives in stores today as shoppers frantically try to justify the 200 rolls of toilet paper that they have stashed in their basements.

“When I saw everyone else loading up on toilet paper I thought it must have been important so I did the same,” said one frantic laxative shopper John Bog. “But then when I got home I realised people were just buying it for the coronavirus, and I felt like a right idiot. Now I’ve gotta justify having 50 multipacks of toilet paper in my bathroom or the wife is going to have a fit.” ...

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Afaik Italy has tested more people than we have, so it's almost certain that those numbers for the US aren't equal to the actual number of cases.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Yes!  It is critically important to point out that our population is so much higher than Italy! Social distancing measures are most effective if initiated early - well before 1% of the population is infected.  

In the USA right now, the infections are focused in several heavily populated areas on the coasts, so they are a higher percentage of the population there than our overall population suggests.   There is also considerable uncertainty over the true infection rate, which may be 10 or 100x higher than actual tested cases.  But even given more aggressive estimates of our current infection rate, we still have time to beat this!

I feel it's possible your point may actually have been different?  The original point of the graph is the rate of growth - not the fraction of the population.

• Like (+1) 1

In case anyone has wondered if the testing problem has been fixed:

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/columns/tony-messenger/messenger-west-county-woman-had-coronavirus-symptoms-has-at-risk/article_250e6793-8727-500f-ad05-9ee42f7f6ad1.html#utm_source=stltoday.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter-templates%2Fcoronavirus&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=c5590820a663cb96ab50a2bdbd89f76bb26c24f7

Bottom line: recent travel, passed through several international airports, had symptoms, has at-risk immunocompromised kids, couldn't get test despite persistent attempts and being tested negative for flu and other viruses.  Situation still NAFU

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local/mercy-to-open-drive-through-coronavirus-testing-site-in-chesterfield/article_7158ee30-2d28-5e2d-800e-199830cff961.html#utm_source=stltoday.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter-templates%2Fcoronavirus&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=c5590820a663cb96ab50a2bdbd89f76bb26c24f7

Drive through testing established, but the person being tested must have either recent foreign travel OR contact with an infected person plus specific symptoms

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I just went grocery shopping for my 92 year old mother to keep her from being exposed by being out. I have NEVER seen anything like that at a grocery store (a HUGE Publix). This was like the day before Thanksgiving times five. I couldn’t park in the Publix lot, had to chase someone down as they loaded the car to get a cart, then got the last banana (singular) in the store, there was no bread, the meat sections were bare. You just grabbed whatever they had left.......CRAZY!

The wife is working from home and I’m going to hunker down like it’s a different kind of hurricane situation. Thankfully, they still had plenty of beer and wine!

I went two weeks ago, stocked up for two months.  Not because I'm afraid of the virus (I'm not), but precisely because I was afraid of people, when they started paying attention.

I honestly didn't think it would be the NBA suspending play that would precipitate this panic, though.  Ye Gods, people are ***** idiots.  I've actually found myself hoping this virus kills me, so I don't have to deal with any of these mutton-heads anymore.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Or a (majority-time) telecommuter who's also a football message board nerd.

Working on getting the boss to OK a shift to full-week telecommuting. Wish me luck.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

The office has stated come in or work from home as you feel comfortable with

We've been shut out and mandatory WFH since Tuesday. Was only supposed to be this week, and the email came this morning that they are extending the lock out until April 1.

This would have been awesome before I had the wife and kid at home to bug me. I might have to risk the virus Im stuck here much longer! ?

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I went two weeks ago, stocked up for two months.  Not because I'm afraid of the virus (I'm not), but precisely because I was afraid of people, when they started paying attention.

I honestly didn't think it would be the NBA suspending play that would precipitate this panic, though.  Ye Gods, people are ***** idiots.  I've actually found myself hoping this virus kills me, so I don't have to deal with any of these mutton-heads anymore.

It’s Twu, it’s twu! He is alive! I had a list of suspects for your murder, but it was so long I wasn’t going to put much time into it. I mean, you have everybody who posts here, and then.....everybody else. I’m only one guy! 

I thought the NBA suspending play would have been a reason to rejoice. They rarely try before the playoffs. Give me college ball all day long, then they take THAT away! 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s Twu, it’s twu! He is alive! I had a list of suspects for your murder, but it was so long I wasn’t going to put much time into it. I mean, you have everybody who posts here, and then.....everybody else. I’m only one guy! 

I thought the NBA suspending play would have been a reason to rejoice. They rarely try before the playoffs. Give me college ball all day long, then they take THAT away! 

I'm rejoicing.  I'm not a basketball fan, but I find college ball at least watchable.  The NBA I can't tolerate.

But NASCAR...where the hell am I going to go to watch cars turning left?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We've been shut out and mandatory WFH since Tuesday. Was only supposed to be this week, and the email came this morning that they are extending the lock out until April 1.

This would have been awesome before I had the wife and kid at home to bug me. I might have to risk the virus Im stuck here much longer! ?

My wife has a team in Boston and they shut down, all work from home. One young but critical guy kept going to the office. He said he needed his huge double monitors to handle large spreadsheets, and it’s a legit thing. He doesn’t have the monitors at home, and he’s not allowed to take those from work. She said “go home now, the monitors will arrive at your house”. She needed him more than the cost of the monitors, so she bought them for him. NOT real expensive, but not everyone has the tools to get the job done from home. 

Same with some folks in Pittsburgh. Not everybody has a work laptop. They realized that needs to be corrected as they may shut down next. Get to work plugging these holes!

I worry about the effect on the economy, but there is an upside too. 

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I'm rejoicing.  I'm not a basketball fan, but I find college ball at least watchable.  The NBA I can't tolerate.

But NASCAR...where the hell am I going to go to watch cars turning left?

Do you have a window? 

If not, is there some government ticket generating webcam you can hack into? 

6 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Its funny. Here in Ontario people really didn't start to go crazy til they closed the schools  yesterday. 

Real concern, or daycare inconvenience? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

My wife has a team in Boston and they shut down, all work from home. One young but critical guy kept going to the office. He said he needed his huge double monitors to handle large spreadsheets, and it’s a legit thing. He doesn’t have the monitors at home, and he’s not allowed to take those from work. She said “go home now, the monitors will arrive at your house”. She needed him more than the cost of the monitors, so she bought them for him. NOT real expensive, but not everyone has the tools to get the job done from home. 

Same with some folks in Pittsburgh. Not everybody has a work laptop. They realized that needs to be corrected as they may shut down next. Get to work plugging these holes!

We implemented an Equipment Sign Out policy so folks can take monitors, phones, headsets, etc home with them since it's going to be a while.

For a campus of 6000 people, that's a lot of stuff to track, but I'm glad our leadership is doing the right thing.

On the flip side, the MSP I used to run is dealing with a ton of fallout from customers who never wanted to bother setting up systems that can be accessed remotely, but then decided to tell everyone to work from home this week without even telling their IT people. So glad to be out of that business. What a mess! ?

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do you have a window? 

If not, is there some government ticket generating webcam you can hack into? 

Real concern, or daycare inconvenience? 

Real concern especially now that they are closing all major tourist attractions. Grocery stores have been packed every day since the announcement

47 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Amazing how it all kicked in over the last 48 hours.  We did a couple big Costco deliveries early in the week to beat the rush.

Restaurants near me still seem to be in good shape (pizza tonight). Lots of small places with locally sourced food so not solely dependant on complex supply chains.

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I'm not sure it's the NBA suspending play.  Might be President declaring state of emergency?  Or certain governors?

But in any event sorry gents, a bit too much chit chat to information or funny schtuff so no offense intended, but I'm pruning a bit.

If your post got snipped, nothing personal intended here just getting a wee bit too hard to find the info.

Once upon a time, St Louis got it right  (1918 flu).  Philadelphia had a big parade attended by 200,000

St Louis closed schools, playgrounds, libraries, courtrooms, churches and banned gatherings of more than 20 people.

image.png?w=450&h=282&crop=1&strip=all&q

https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-1918-spanish-flu-shows-why-social-distancing-works/

Went to dinner at an Irish pub tonight after passing a couple closed lenten Fish Frys..  Went early, sat in a large booth in an uncrowded area by the door.  Felt comfortable with our "social distancing" 

By the time we left, the place was hopping and the bar was surrounded 3 layers deep shoulder to shoulder.  Italians couldn't have packed in closer.  A table was set up and free whiskey tasting samples being distributed.  As we left, heard a guy talking on his phone "I don't believe in Coronavirus.  It's all just stupidity"

I refrained from telling him that Covid19 doesn't care what he believes, just a nod and gave a social lip twitch.

I'm still concerned we're doing too little, too haphazardly.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

There's been some fantastic information in here. First and foremost being confirmation DC Tom has not been murdered or perished due to erotic asphyxiation. 

That is important to establish!  But how do you know that hasn't occurred, and today's postings were provided by his ghost?

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Went to dinner at an Irish pub tonight after passing a couple closed lenten Fish Frys..  Went early, sat in a large booth in an uncrowded area by the door.  Felt comfortable with our "social distancing" 

By the time we left, the place was hopping and the bar was surrounded 3 layers deep shoulder to shoulder.  Italians couldn't have packed in closer.  A table was set up and free whiskey tasting samples being distributed.  As we left, heard a guy talking on his phone "I don't believe in Coronavirus.  It's all just stupidity"

I refrained from telling him that Covid19 doesn't care what he believes, just a nod and gave a social lip twitch.

I'm still concerned we're doing too little, too haphazardly.

My daily routine includes a late lunch (2-3:30pm) and sitting at the bar while getting my local favorites with an Arnold Palmer  and reading whatever book I’m currently into. Sadly, it’s often the highlight of my little day. Some might call it an abundance of caution, but I only went out once early this week. By that time the bar is usually well past lunch and too early for a crowded happy hour, but no telling what happened on those spots before I got there? 

I never get a flu shot, and only remember getting the flu once about 25 years ago. I don’t fret about hurricanes unless it’s a Cat 4-5, then I just run away. BUT, this thing scares me, and part of it is I’m afraid to get out and about if I may need to help my mom with anything. She tried to hug me today (in front of her friends, of course) after I delivered groceries. I had to give her the straight arm and tell her to get with the program! 

I can chill for a while and see how this goes.