Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

Thanks for all the insights and information in this thread, Hap.

'Preciate it when the informed take the time to contribute.

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

my day includes people who believe the whole thing is a hoax and people who believe we will all die by June

Things may be quieter if you decided to only listen to half the voices in your head.

• Like (+1) 2

Anyone know what Rows agenda is?

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

guesswork

oh, it went from 5 to 6 people, that’s a leap of 20%, so many more facets to add to the picture to get it to be factual and real

my day includes people who believe the whole thing is a hoax and people who believe we will all die by June

Look at you making ***** up, please show us the people that said "we will all be dead by June"

So funny watching him attack everything people say. Using extremes that no sane person has said during this outbreak to back up his little battle.

Edited by Hardhatharry

21 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Anyone know what Rows agenda is?

Look at you making ***** up, please show us the people that said "we will all be dead by June"

So funny watching him attack everything people say. Using extremes that no sane person has said during this outbreak to back up his little battle.

you are more phoney virtue-signalling over the doomsday scenario than the one who says it’s all a hoax?

get help....

and wash your hands with soap and water more often

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you are more phoney virtue-signalling over the doomsday scenario than the one who says it’s all a hoax?

get help....

and wash your hands with soap and water more often

Not one person is doing this but you.... people are just following protocols for an outbreak of a virus we want to stop spreading. 

all i keep seeing in your posts is these words that no one else uses. 

Look up doomsday and "everyone will be dead by june" and you are the only one using that in these threads.

Edited by Hardhatharry

2 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Not one person is doing this but you.... people are just following protocols for an outbreak of a virus we want to stop spreading. 

all i keep seeing in your posts is these words that no one else uses. 

Look up doomsday and "everyone will be dead by june" and you are the only one using that in these threads.

I just read a report on here that apparently is 100 percent and it’s a doomsday scenario

i have a life and talk to real people standing a few feet away, as well as ride the subway every day and bemusedly hear all kinds of theories on the matter, the whole universe isn’t what people are saying on TBD ?

as well as stock tips, point spread locks, the day Jesus is returning and other fun stuff

i don’t judge or bother fighting, all part of life’s rich pageant 

but I’m a little bit concerned about the person saying it’s all a hoax....

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I just read a report on here that apparently is 100 percent and it’s a doomsday scenario

i have a life and talk to real people standing a few feet away, as well as ride the subway every day and bemusedly hear all kinds of theories on the matter, the whole universe isn’t what people are saying on TBD ?

as well as stock tips, point spread locks, the day Jesus is returning and other fun stuff

i don’t judge or bother fighting, all part of life’s rich pageant 

but I’m a little bit concerned about the person saying it’s all a hoax....

No one cares about what you do daily right now.

Who is saying its all a hoax? Does anyone even care that that one person said it, other than you of course...

Edited by Hardhatharry

Just now, /dev/null said:

Social distancing

I've been trying to practice that for years

It was a life goal, but my anatomy forced me into team sports like basketball and volleyball

which has been a good thing, mostly....

my natural curiosity and charm and presence gets people talking way too much when I meet them, a good thing, mostly...

52 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

No one cares about what you do daily right now.

Who is saying its all a hoax? Does anyone even care that that one person said it, other than you of course...

Well, I for one think some of the coverage of it is insanely overblown and fear driven. But that's just me.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

instead say, this is what one person says

(and it may be inflammatory on purpose)

And that we don’t KNOW and cannot predict the future 

Forgive me, but this is just ignorant. Full stop.

25 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Well, I for one think some of the coverage of it is insanely overblown and fear driven. But that's just me.

Feeling that way is a luxury that people who don't live in affected areas and/or who aren't in the "at risk" category get to have.

If there were multiple confirmed cases in your county and/or you or your spouse was immunocompromised, something tells me you'd feel differently.

There's a very real chance that this thing is going to wind up killing around 500,000 people in the United States. If you don't think that's reason enough for ample news coverage and significant changes to the way we go about our daily lives, I don't know what to tell you.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Feeling that way is a luxury that people who don't live in affected areas and/or who aren't in the "at risk" category get to have.

If there were multiple confirmed cases in your county and/or you or your spouse was immunocompromised, something tells me you'd feel differently.

There's a very real chance that this thing is going to wind up killing around 500,000 people in the United States. If you don't think that's reason enough for ample news coverage and significant changes to the way we go about our daily lives, I don't know what to tell you.

500,000 people, eh? Got a link for that?

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

500,000 people, eh? Got a link for that?

Sure. It's the link that Hapless posted in this very thread.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

1*OZfW6tNEcArbnBzTXp_zbw.png

Note the bottom right corner: "US: 480,000 deaths".

And before you say it -- Yes, this is "Best Guess Epidemiology", but unless someone can show me a more reasonable/logical/scientifically sound/trustworthy way to project these things, I'll go with the experts.

Even if they're over-estimating (doubtful), and it's 200,000 deaths, that's still more than 3x the amount of people killed in the most recent serious flu season. It's newsworthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

I have a low/garbage/Compromised what ever you want to call it immune system.

I work remotely, not because of this but because of my job. I'm thankful for that right now

You can be damn sure I'm being more cautious these days. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

Sure. It's the link that Hapless posted in this very thread.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

1*OZfW6tNEcArbnBzTXp_zbw.png

Note the bottom right corner: "US: 480,000 deaths".

And before you say it -- Yes, this is "Best Guess Epidemiology", but unless someone can show me a more reasonable/logical/scientifically sound/trustworthy way to project these things, I'll go with the experts.

Even if they're over-estimating (doubtful), and it's 200,000 deaths, that's still more than 3x the amount of people killed in the most recent serious flu season. It's newsworthy. 

So what's your take on panic water/tp/hand sanitizer buying and stock selling? When does it go too far?

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So what's your take on panic water/tp/hand sanitizer buying and stock selling? When does it go too far?

The water/TP stuff is ridiculous. There's no reason for it. I ESPECIALLY don't understand the bottled water thing. Like...do people think the municipal water systems are going to be shut off for some reason? The toilet paper buy-up is also absurd. 

Hand sanitizer is a great thing to have, but people shouldn't panic and buy 10 cases of the stuff. Over-buying of things like hand sanitizer and surgical masks causes a shortage of those products, such that those that actually NEED them -- like healthcare workers -- can't get them. In short, unnecessary over-buying makes the problem worse.

I won't even pretend to know enough about finance to comment on how the market should or shouldn't react.

For me, it's simple: a global pandemic being a fairly serious thing and the news media being fear-mongerers are not mutually exclusive. COVID-19 IS a serious issue. The American news media generally DO generate their best viewership/clicks numbers by pedaling fear. Just because the news media behaves this way, though, doesn't mean that the problem being reported on isn't serious. As stated above, half a million Americans could die by this. That's serious. What upsets me, though, are the people who completely disregard the seriousness of the virus altogether, just because they dislike the media's coverage of it. In my opinion, it's a defense mechanism for people who are scared but don't want to admit it. It's much easier to get angry at a "media perpetrated hoax" than it is to confront the idea that you or a loved one might contract a serious virus, or that half a million Americans could die.

There's a healthy medium (not a great choice of words in this instance): Take the virus seriously, follow basic and rational suggestions like ample hand washing, social distancing, self-quarantining when sick, avoiding large crowds, and regularly checking for CDC and WHO updates. That doesn't mean one should panic, buy a year's supply of toilet paper and bottled water, and board up their windows and doors and refuse to come out for a year. Me, personally? I went out and bought a good amount of non perishable food items, basic medicines (Advil, cold medicine, etc), and a couple of bottles or hand sanitizer. I did this because I can foresee a possibility of city-wide lockdown where I live, as reported case numbers grow exponentially and those within the city panic. I can also foresee possible infection in my household, because I work at an enormous hotel and regularly come into contact with people from all over the world, with their luggage, and with huge conferences/conventions, so stocking up in anticipation of potential self-quarantine seemed wise. My wife and I continue to evaluate daily the best courses of action to take or not take going forward.

Be smart, be safe, be realistic, but don't panic. And for the love of god, don't pretend that this is just a "made up media hoax". It's not. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1